Recruiting Targets

have you seen the class that Saban's putting together this year? in answer to your question, they must.

Looks like Bama's got a decent talent pool this year. 3 5* players (per Rivals) and 15 4*.

TN has no 5* players and only 5 4*'s. Heck, Rivals only bothers listing 15 players in TN. Gonna be a lean year to worry about keeping the talent in-state.

I know that Tennessee isn't technically "recruiting" him, but has there been any recent news on Dwight Jones?

Has he reconsidered his commitment to UNC?

Looks like Bama's got a decent talent pool this year. 3 5* players (per Rivals) and 15 4*.

TN has no 5* players and only 5 4*'s. Heck, Rivals only bothers listing 15 players in TN. Gonna be a lean year to worry about keeping the talent in-state.

Relying solely on services such as rival and scout is a huge mistake. I wonder what the rate of busts is on their 5 and 4 star players.

Relying solely on services such as rival and scout is a huge mistake. I wonder what the rate of busts is on their 5 and 4 star players.

Of course there are 5* busts and 1* successes but if you know of another means for people like you and me to assess talent levels for players across the entire nation I'd like to hear it. It's not perfect but it's what we've got.

Of course it is all we have, but it is up to the people who have it in their job description to recruit players to do the evaluating of each player personally. If they don't then that bust level goes way up. It is fun to speculate with, but it is nothing to count on. Kind of like a video game simulation, but not as reliable.

Its looking like an average class at this point but its still early and with the contract extension I expect it will rocket into a top five class.

Its looking like an average class at this point but its still early and with the contract extension I expect it will rocket into a top five class.

That might be a mathmatical impossiblity. The class will be too small in number and will lack skill position players to end up Top 5 according to the recruiting services.

Wow. That's optimistic.

I'm just hopeful that the staff will get this class in the top 10-15 range.

Top 20 is what I think we're looking at right now, but with the promise that this year's class has shown that isn't a bad thing. Its better to add depth for the future than have a ton of huge egos in the locker room. That being said, I think there is a big need for interior lineman, for depth next season and in the future.

I just thought this was the whole reasoning behind said extension....and now ya'll are telling me our class isn't going to be that great?

We never said the class is not going to be great. We said the class is not going to be "ranked highly" by the recruiting services. That does not in any way mean this class will not be a big impact.

Well...I thought it seemed a little out of character. Figured you were just doing your best UTIE95 impresssion.

:)

btw Sunday's KNS had a great article about Kermit the frog (our current AD) being our best recruiter.

I really hope that Tennessee will give Alex Matlock from Bruceton a good look. He has great size and hands and pretty good speed. He is 6'5" 260 or so and is going to make someone a great TE. Most people think of him as a DE because they have not seen him play TE. He would have played that position instead of FB if the Detris Willis tragedy had not occured prior to 06' season, brother of NFL LB Patrick Willis, from Bruceton, who ironically Tennessee overlooked as well.

Come on give him a good look in the East West game this Saturday. He also has good grades and a very good ACT score.

I really hope that Tennessee will give Alex Matlock from Bruceton a good look. He has great size and hands and pretty good speed. He is 6'5" 260 or so and is going to make someone a great TE. Most people think of him as a DE because they have not seen him play TE. He would have played that position instead of FB if the Detris Willis tragedy had not occured prior to 06' season, brother of NFL LB Patrick Willis, from Bruceton, who ironically Tennessee overlooked as well.

Come on give him a good look in the East West game this Saturday. He also has good grades and a very good ACT score.

Welcome to the board, Alex. :hi:

:)

Alex Matlock
Tight end
Bruceton (TN) Central

Ht: 6-foot-5
Wt: 260 lbs
Forty: 4.8 secs
Bench max: 335 pounds
Vertical: 28 inches
Shuttle: 4.78 secs
ACT: 19
Class: 2008 (High School)
rivals.com

Is a 19 ACT really very good? :ermm:

It is two below average nationally, something like 6 or 7 below UT's average. He wouldn't get in without a scholarship.

I made a 24 while being tremendously hung over from the night before.

I was drinking orange juice and vodka trying to get rid of it while going to take it.

VN Store

Back