Rob Preston(athens Chamber of Commerce President) cries to the Times Free Press

You people who have a problem with Saban speaking in Athens are acting like children.

Reactions: 1 person
Every time that I think Volnation can't possibly get any more ridiculous, someone comes along and proves me wrong.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm not asking you to join in the boycott, I don't really care about your opinion. I don't really care about Tennessee fans opinions about my opinion. I think this is a joke and an embarrassment. I would like to be able to travel in East Tennessee without seeing Nick Saban billboards. I don't want to go through this every when the next town decides to use Athen's model to make a quick buck because Tennessee fans did not make Athens pay for these short-sided and disrespectful behaviors.

aahhhhhhh. theytookowrjobs.............. your opinon about his opinion is just your opinion and as they say........ they all stink.

I'm not stepping foot in Athens now and I guarantee you my IQ is probably higher then the entire city of Athens put together.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What you’re saying makes no sense, it literally sounded retarded. You also said guarantee and probably together referring to the same thing. I wouldn’t use those two together being that a probability is not easily guaranteed…………… IE I guarantee that Tennessee will probably beat Alabama this year. Anyway hope it helps.... Just playing around with the post, no hard feelings.

Last edited:
Who cares whether you would care. This isn't Gainesville and it isn't Knoxville and it isn't an alumni association. This is the chamber of commerce of a small town in East Tennessee selling out and now trying to get publicity for it.

Selling out? How? They've had people like Bruce Pearl and Steve Spurrier speak in the last few years. They try to land a big name to attract people. I don't see what's wrong with that. I can see where the "VFL, GBO!!!!!!!!" crowd might take issue, though.

Selling out? How? They've had people like Bruce Pearl and Steve Spurrier speak in the last few years. They try to land a big name to attract people. I don't see what's wrong with that. I can see where the "VFL, GBO!!!!!!!!" crowd might take issue, though.

The difference is - I read this somewhere - that Spurrier used to live in Athens and, of course, Pearl coached at UT. Athens had a plethora of coaches they could have picked. Why did they have to pick a guy who oversigns players, lies to a whole city (Miami), sweeps crimes under the rug with the help of a homer media, and is an overall arrogant jackass? The Athens chamber should know better - I'm sure being an East Tennessee town they are mainly Vol fans. Heck, show the town some respect.

Last edited:
The difference is - I read this somewhere - that Spurrier used to live in Athens and, of course, Pearl coached at UT.

And?

Athens had a plethora of coaches they could have picked. Why did they have to pick a guy who oversigns players,

He wins. Don't act like you would be upset about this if UT did the same thing. If we had Alabama's recent run of success, I'd be fine with pretty much whatever our coaching staff did.

lies to a whole city (Miami)

Pearl wasn't exactly a saint.

, sweeps crimes under the rug with the help of a homer media

Such as?

, and is an overall arrogant jackass? The Athens chamber should know better - I'm sure being an East Tennessee town they are mainly Vol fans. Heck, show the town some respect.

The bottom line is that Saban is a winner. People will pay to listen to him speak. That doesn't mean that the town where this is happening is selling out; rather, it means they know what they're doing. They've attracted a guy that people will pay money to hear speak.

Dont like bama. Dont like their coach.

I said that in the nicest way possable because that does not come close to my feelings toward all things bama. Looks like there are a few other Vol fans who feel the same...go figure.

Saban is also speaking at Union University in Jackson for the Roy L. White Legacy Golf and Gala on May 6. You can go to the dinner for as little as $375.00 or you can sit in the balcony for $50.00. This is a fundraising event for Union's athletic department. Past speakers include Peyton Manning, Tony Dungy, and Tim Tebow.

Looks like some of these idiots on here have another TN city to boycott. You can't boycott Athens and not Jackson knowing Saban is speaking there as well.

Reactions: 1 person
The reason this is an issue al all is because tickets are selling. If the event had only sold 300 tickets, like the Fulmer event last year, then, just like the Fulmer event, no one would be paying attention. That, or they'd be rejoicing a failure linked to Alabama and Saban.

How many of you would stop in Athens to get anything more than gas and a piss break in the first place? There is f*** nothing there, never will be. I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment, but you can't boycott a product ya never bought to begin with.

Denso, UGO HQ, Heil, Thomas and Betts, Southeast Bank HQ, HP Pelzer (just announced 200 jobs). More here than you think. If you want nothing, go to Ten Mile.

You can't argue with the facts: 1500 tickets will be sold for this event, which is 4-5x more than last year in which THREE big-time former Vols were there. It sounds like a bunch of you idiots have been boycotting your own team over the past few years. For a good size RURAL town, it's a tremendous pull that ANY CoC should be applauded.

Those who shop in or around Athens will continue to do so because they're in the region. Those *****ing on here won't because they rarely stopped here anyway. Many bammers will be more apt to take a break here on their way to Knoxville from now on due to this event which, by the way, will be an incredible business decision solely based on how many bammers invaded Neyland last year.

Reactions: 4 people
The reason this is an issue al all is because tickets are selling. If the event had only sold 300 tickets, like the Fulmer event last year, then, just like the Fulmer event, no one would be paying attention. That, or they'd be rejoicing a failure linked to Alabama and Saban.

Nah...I'd expect alot of redneckerheads would want to hear their king give a speech. Just rather he did it across the border.

VN Store

Back