State of Tennessee Wins the Injunction

There is a president set in a federal court now that other universities, lawyers can cite.
Not a lawyer but this is simply issuing an injunction. It is not a actual case that can be cited in other cases. I believe the other snakes, I mean states, can now join thou and reap the benefits of the injunction.

We will probably see what other schools were being investigated by the states that join.

Florida State come on down. They got slapped with punishment for this recently.
Yeah, I’m surprised we’ve heard nothing out of FSU or the FLA State Attorney General wrt joining this lawsuit. Proud of Tennessee for grabbing the bull by the horns. The rest of the college programs can thank us. Now, if NCAA still tries to come at us with a Notice of Allegation, I hope the University files suit against them and we beat their eyes shut in court with a brutal, punishing lawsuit.

So in practicality, does this mean the NCAA won't issue the notice of allegations?

It means they cannot legally enforce any sort of NIL yada yada yada on either Tennessee or Virginia, until such time as the case is decided and only in the event the NCAA wins the case. Until such time as that occurs, the NCAA cannot do, or attempt to do, anything to either UT or UVA pertaining to NIL enforcement without violating the injunction.

I'm glad we got the injunction and I now feel confident that we will prevail, but I am sorry that it had to come to this. The NCAA is responsible for all of this. They lost control of NIL through their own greed. They had an opportunity to do what's right for the student athlete and failed. And then they doubled-down by trying to enforce a moving target of rules that the Feds had already said they didn't have any control over. I believe that the NCAA has officially rendered themselves irrelevant.

I'm glad we got the injunction and I now feel confident that we will prevail, but I am sorry that it had to come to this. The NCAA is responsible for all of this. They lost control of NIL through their own greed. They had an opportunity to do what's right for the student athlete and failed. And then they doubled-down by trying to enforce a moving target of rules that the Feds had already said they didn't have any control over. I believe that the NCAA has officially rendered themselves irrelevant.

The NCAA's greed? I think you're confusing the NCAA with the schools. The NCAA wasn't the one negotiating billion dollar TV contracts and paying coaches 10 million dollars a year.

I'm glad that Tennessee didn't let the NCAA push them around, but saying they're the ones wholly responsible is -- well, it's a neat little sleight of hand, I'll give it that.

Tennessee has always been a group of people that charged head long into the gun fire. That is why we are proud of our nickname, 'The Volunteer State." If the enforcement of paying college athletes is to ever be encircled with equal rules and regs just know that Tennessee and Virginia were first going into battle.

I don't disagree but the NCAA never had control of NIL.

Reactions: SprocketRocket
I can't figure why the NCAA pushed it. Are they suicidal?
I think they did it so that they can now tell Congress that they cannot "fix it themselves" and that Congress must act. Congress granting them a full or partial Antitrust exemption is and always has been their only real hope. Is it likely to work? Probably not, but it's their only play.

The NCAA's greed? I think you're confusing the NCAA with the schools. The NCAA wasn't the one negotiating billion dollar TV contracts and paying coaches 10 million dollars a year.

The original case was based on the NCAA getting money from EA Sports for using players' images and likenesses without being fairly compensated. They had a chance to do the right thing and didn't. I am calling that the watershed moment when the NCAA's greed screwed themselves. The schools certainly share in the greed and blame, but the NCAA had the chance and blew it.

“For the reasons provided herein, Plaintiffs’ Motion for Preliminary Injunction is granted,” the decision said. “It is hereby ordered that, effective immediately, Defendant NCAA; its servants, agents, and employees; and all persons in active conce11 or participation with the NCAA, are restrained and enjoined from enforcing the NCAA Interim NIL Policy, the NCAA Bylaws, or any other authority to the extent such authority prohibits student-athletes from negotiating compensation for NIL with any third-party entity, including but not limited to boosters or a collective of boosters, until a full and final decision on the merits in the instant action.
So, I think the question all of us are asking is, ‘what could be next?”

I’m not a lawyer, but here are some guesses:
+ The NCAA says “we are not going to be involved in NIL”
+ The NCAA says we are going after the AD’s, Chancellors, the schools,
+ Other large universities will file for an injunction to prevent NCAA interference. But, why would other schools file for an injunction if they have not been charged with anything? And, why would they want to side with Tennessee?
+ The conferences set their own rules
+ probably more possibilities than anyone can think of
+ ……..

Anyone have any educated guesses? (I don’t think the NCAA is going away quietly) Smaller schools are going to support the NCAA.
I’ll hang up and listen…

I can't figure why the NCAA pushed it. Are they suicidal?
I believe after the heated exchange supposedily that occurred in Plowman's office, the NCAA investigating team went back to Indy and made a stupid mistake. They leaked the "major violations in multiple sports" story to Forde thinking with it, Tennessee would roll over like FSU, Miami and Fla have. I seriously doubt the NCAA had any clue how prepared the University of Tennessee and the State was to respond so quickly and effectively with legal action.

I think they did it so that they can now tell Congress that they cannot "fix it themselves" and that Congress must act. Congress granting them a full or partial Antitrust exemption is and always has been their only real hope. Is it likely to work? Probably not, but it's their only play.
They aren't going to get an anti-trust exemption based on not paying athletes.

VN Store

Back