Summer Ball 2023

UT now has 5 catchers for the '24 season?

Cannon Peebles
Cal Stark
Ryan Miller
Charlie Taylor
and I think they have a HS recruit joining as well.

I get that coach is doing what's best for UT, but for the kids? 5 catchers...

This is why the portal is good, it will bring opportunity to a few of these kids. Imagine bleeding Orange and this happens, you're essentially forced to leave as school you love if you're not "good enough" to be the coaches choice for a starter and you just want to play. But I totally get it and That's Life...you've got to look out for #1 whether you're a coach or player.

Side Note: Ricky Martinez...gone. Off to New Mexico State for a similar role. He bleeds Orange but heads off for opportunity. Tip of the hat Ricky! Congrats!

Las Crucas is a rough town for any ball sport. The wind just howls throughout the spring.

Good luck Ricky and be ready to see some muffed pop-ups.

First half of the season wraps up tonight, but we’ve already won our division and will have home field advantage for the playoffs 🙂

We’re an offensive bunch: Most runs scored in the league, individual leading the league in homers and RBIs, one guy second in the league with RBIs, guys with fourth and fifth highest BAs, JJ Garcia tied with the most wins (and he has third lowest ERA), and solid pitching have come together. Enjoying it while it lasts, because baseball.

If interested coming to a game, let me know.

IMG_9500.jpeg

First half of the season wraps up tonight, but we’ve already won our division and will have home field advantage for the playoffs 🙂

We’re an offensive bunch: Most runs scored in the league, individual leading the league in homers and RBIs, one guy second in the league with RBIs, guys with fourth and fifth highest BAs, JJ Garcia tied with the most wins (and he has third lowest ERA), and solid pitching have come together. Enjoying it while it lasts, because baseball.

If interested coming to a game, let me know.

View attachment 560297
Out of curiousity, how's attendance this year?
I'm seeing people that were never interested in baseball going to minor league and college games.

Out of curiousity, how's attendance this year?
I'm seeing people that were never interested in baseball going to minor league and college games.
Attendance is up. Everyone likes a winner (but I’m glad there’s not a OwlNation message board that says how bad we are 😉). Good weather has helped too. We’re fun, cost less than a movie as well as less expensive concessions, it’s outdoors, kids can run around, good beer selection if that’s your thing, and you can meet the players after the game.

Attendance is up. Everyone likes a winner (but I’m glad there’s not a OwlNation message board that says how bad we are 😉). Good weather has helped too. We’re fun, cost less than a movie as well as less expensive concessions, it’s outdoors, kids can run around, good beer selection if that’s your thing, and you can meet the players after the game.
We could start an OWL Baseball thread and let folks gripe and moan…….just let me know. 😀

Yep, Major League prices have people looking for alternatives. Minor League, college, summer league.... all very fun alternatives. Any word on how the Appy League is doing? Some of those old parks are near and dear to my heart.

Yep, Major League prices have people looking for alternatives. Minor League, college, summer league.... all very fun alternatives. Any word on how the Appy League is doing? Some of those old parks are near and dear to my heart.
I’ve heard Johnson City has had good attendance. I don’t know how the smaller markets are doing, like Elizabethton and Princeton. I was concerned when they lost their affiliations and remain concerned because MLB financially helped. MLB’s financial help with the new Appy League ends soon and it might become tough for a few teams.

I’ve heard Johnson City has had good attendance. I don’t know how the smaller markets are doing, like Elizabethton and Princeton. I was concerned when they lost their affiliations and remain concerned because MLB financially helped. MLB’s financial help with the new Appy League ends soon and it might become tough for a few teams.
The Elizabethton Twins was my team. Like many people in that area, it was the only professional park we could afford to attend. I was afraid they might not do well. I'd hate to see that piece of baseball history end.

The Elizabethton Twins was my team. Like many people in that area, it was the only professional park we could afford to attend. I was afraid they might not do well. I'd hate to see that piece of baseball history end.
Baseball is important to small communities. I don’t like what MLB did.

I was at an E Twins game where a cat got on the field. Bullpen emptied to chase the cat. My funniest memory of an E Twins game.

I haven't been able to attend an Axmen game yet, but here is a link to attendance for all teams so far this year, and also for the past couple of years.

Appalachian League Attendance | Appalachian League (appyleague.com)

Zach Joyce & Bryce Jenkins combine for back to back scoreless innings for Cotuit at the Cape. Joyce hitting 97 mph. So far both boys have a 0.00 era in a few games now.

Not sure what Tony & Frank missed on these 2 in ‘23, I guess they just needed a chance to pitch. Hopefully they’ll be back in Orange in ‘24

Last edited:
Zach Joyce & Bryce Jenkins combine for back to back scoreless innings for Cotuit at the Cape. Joyce hitting 97 mph. So far both boys have a 0.00 era in a few games now.

Not sure what Tony & Frank missed on these 2 in ‘23, I guess they just needed a chance to pitch. Hopefully they’ll be back in Orange in ‘24
I would love to see both back on the roster in Feb.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Not arg

Not arguing. Just wondering. Who should not have gotten the innings they got for these 2 to get more. Remember Zach was hurt for a long period of time. The bullpen was so loaded it was hard to get innings.

VN Store

Back