Tennessee Lady Vol News

stats don't show defensive impact
Good point. So far Powell has been much better than Wells on defense. Limited sample of course but per the PLAYER DEF RTG Wells has been our worst defensive player on our roster so far and by a rather large margin. That statistic doesn't even include observable things - like Powell is also better at help defense than Wells.

The folks who ranked RJ 17th and Kamilla 19th on their draft board would like a redo. They'd also like the first 12 minutes to explain how they were so wrong but spare yourself. It's basically that they're way more basketball pure analysts and way smarter than everyone else. BC their board is serious and not clickbait, they reserve the right to shoot players up the board if actual performance proves their previous analysis bull hockey. So Rickea's back to the middle of the first round. Go figure.

I can't really make out the original beef about Rickea's game, it has to do with small windows. I swear. She came in thru the bathroom window I guess.

Road of Damascus moment for these guys was the game against team USA which means I have to admit it was good for something, actually alot. If these brilliant analysts had watched FIBA footage they would have already known about Rickea and Kamilla against high level competition and saved a bunch of egg on their face.

Rickea talk starts at 12:15 and after that they discuss Kamilla's shocking better than expected performance. As a bonus, at 31:45 they talk about Jewel. Nothing new there, great shooter who needs to learn off the ball moves and defense but def a long range W prospect.

Hopefully tonight point guards get back on the right track. I said before the season began we should see a huge scoring and scoring percentage increase at the point guard position.

Last season Walker and Powell were 125 of 347 for .368 from the field. 35 of 134 from the three for .261 and 99 of 147 from the free throw line for .673
First two games for our point guards this season 6 of 20 from the field .300 8 of 12 from the line ..667 and 0 for 7 from the three .000 Powell is 4 of 13 and Wells is 2 of 7. Averaging 10 shots per game and making three.

Plenty of time to turn it around, but first two games have been worse than the performance we got from the position last year.
@WinnerCircle. You gonna let him talk about our Elite guards like dat?

Powell's numbers are not bad. Too many turnovers but several of them have been post entries where the post needs to come and get the ball. Bouncing it off her foot against Memphis was a bad one but most of her TOs are not the horrible variety. She is also our only PG that seems comfortable against high pressure defense.

1699978194903.png

A comment about Destinee. We absolutely need her for her ability to drive and penetrate effectively. To do so, she has to be more of a threat to make a shot. So far as a LV, she almost always dishes and has missed the few times she has chosen to take the shot. While I am totally support of Powell as starting point guard, I think Destinee has a bigger upside on the drive and penetrate. She did a few beautiful ones last game but the defense knew they didn't have to guard her tightly due to her preferring the option to dish it out. At least one of those times she had a wide open 4 foot shot and she passed instead. We know she has the skill set to do so. So, I am not sure if it is a confidence thing, an adjusting to the LVs thing, or coach's preference but I suspect that it is the adjustment issue. If she starts getting in the groove of reaching her potential here, that will make us near impossible to defend as they will have to cover her and this will leave RJ, Jill, or Puckett more open for a bucket. I'll be watching Sunday with the hopes of seeing this trend in the right direction.

A comment about Destinee. We absolutely need her for her ability to drive and penetrate effectively. To do so, she has to be more of a threat to make a shot. So far as a LV, she almost always dishes and has missed the few times she has chosen to take the shot. While I am totally support of Powell as starting point guard, I think Destinee has a bigger upside on the drive and penetrate. She did a few beautiful ones last game but the defense knew they didn't have to guard her tightly due to her preferring the option to dish it out. At least one of those times she had a wide open 4 foot shot and she passed instead. We know she has the skill set to do so. So, I am not sure if it is a confidence thing, an adjusting to the LVs thing, or coach's preference but I suspect that it is the adjustment issue. If she starts getting in the groove of reaching her potential here, that will make us near impossible to defend as they will have to cover her and this will leave RJ, Jill, or Puckett more open for a bucket. I'll be watching Sunday with the hopes of seeing this trend in the right direction.
I disagree with your assessment on Powell vs DW. Powell is almost always looking to drive in for a layup. She just needs to learn to finish. She’s way better than she was last year when she looked to shoot more than drive. My top three players currently are RJ, JP and Puckett. All we need now is the defense to click and we’re back on schedule.

I disagree with your assessment on Powell vs DW. Powell is almost always looking to drive in for a layup. She just needs to learn to finish. She’s way better than she was last year when she looked to shoot more than drive. My top three players currently are RJ, JP and Puckett. All we need now is the defense to click and we’re back on schedule.
Powell is wonderful but doesn't see the court near as well as Destnee. She seems to get lost in the trees. She may gain that skill in her 5th year but Destinee already has it.

Reactions: WinnerCircle
Lets keep this going!!

I see we even got a few negaVols in on the conversation!

I really support all the players on this team.. they have what it takes to win a championship.
Once they click.. it’s scary hours on Rocky Top🍊!

Reactions: Only1COJ

The folks who ranked RJ 17th and Kamilla 19th on their draft board would like a redo. They'd also like the first 12 minutes to explain how they were so wrong but spare yourself. It's basically that they're way more basketball pure analysts and way smarter than everyone else. BC their board is serious and not clickbait, they reserve the right to shoot players up the board if actual performance proves their previous analysis bull hockey. So Rickea's back to the middle of the first round. Go figure.

I can't really make out the original beef about Rickea's game, it has to do with small windows. I swear. She came in thru the bathroom window I guess.

Road of Damascus moment for these guys was the game against team USA which means I have to admit it was good for something, actually alot. If these brilliant analysts had watched FIBA footage they would have already known about Rickea and Kamilla against high level competition and saved a bunch of egg on their face.

Rickea talk starts at 12:15 and after that they discuss Kamilla's shocking better than expected performance. As a bonus, at 31:45 they talk about Jewel. Nothing new there, great shooter who needs to learn off the ball moves and defense but def a long range W prospect.

Just watched that pod cast. They are absolutely atrocious in their assessments of players and abilities. Those three talking, A) Look and talk as though they have never picked up or played the sport of basketball and B) have a podcast to have a podcast. That was painful to listen to right down to some of the terminology used. If they are hired as analysts, there is a reason Cheryl Reeves was like, "Don't Read That Garbage" when discussing Rickea's current draft rating, stating, "the so-called experts, tend to get it really wrong."

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just watched that pod cast. They are absolutely atrocious in their assessments of players and abilities. Those three talking, A) Look and talk as though they have never picked up or played the sport of basketball and B) have a podcast to have a podcast. That was painful to listen to right down to some of the terminology used. If they are hired as analysts, there is a reason Cheryl Reeves was like, "Don't Read That Garbage" when discussing Rickea's current draft rating, stating, "the so-called experts, tend to get it really wrong."
That host may be the most mushmouth person to ever sit behind a public mic. For some reason, that Em person just doesn't like Rickea. Had to walk that sh*t way back here tho. Of course Reeves is right, the real W scouts know.

VN Store

Back