The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

This could be one of those games where we wish we had one more good ball handler. The on ball pressure has the potential to be an issue especially if somebody gets in foul trouble.
As several have noted, yes, the ball pressure will turn up a few notches Saturday. How well we handle what they throw at us will be big. Value every possession, play with strong hands, and don’t let poor passes lead to easy points.

Reactions: ColinS
Guard play is our strength just like Texas. Strength vs. Strength. I’ll take my chances. I think we’ll be okay in regards to ball pressure as long as we play within ourselves and aren’t tight and nervous like we looked against Kentucky.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
We’re 16-3 and ranked #4 in all of college basketball. Enjoy it, savor it. Relish it and be proud. We’re in rarified air after some of our missteps from the past. I want to win it all….badly. However, I’m not going to let the naysayers tell me that what I’m experiencing RIGHT NOW is not special. It is special.

Great way to look at it. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Agreed on Aidoo - might be a 5 block game for him. Sounds like a game that Mashack might contribute more defensively. Don’t know if I agree on Uros as his size should allow him to get whatever post position he wants and he’s been pretty effective lately when he gets the ball deep with either that little hook off the backboard or a good pass to the perimeter if he’s doubled. If nothing else, I might would use him for 5 really hard fouls at the rim ?
Agreed that he can probably feast offensively - just hard to see him not getting played off the court bc of his defense.

Could be a game where Awaka really gets going. They don't have anybody long enough to bother him nor anybody strong enough to match him.
Was thinking the same thing. He’s big enough and definitely a good enough rebounder to play with Disu and Mitchell. He is also probably quick enough to switch onto Allen some. I think he can get to the rim against any of their front court as well.

Was thinking the same thing. He’s big enough and definitely a good enough rebounder to play with Disu and Mitchell. He is also probably quick enough to switch onto Allen some. I think he can get to the rim against any of their front court as well.
Heck to the no, Awaka is by far our worst perimeter defender of the bigs…a huge part of that is inexperience but also heavy footed, Plavsic is light years ahead as far as guarding 5+ feet away goes.

Reactions: walkenvol
Heck to the no, Awaka is by far our worst perimeter defender of the bigs…a huge part of that is inexperience but also heavy footed, Plavsic is light years ahead as far as guarding 5+ feet away goes.
Not saying he would shut down allen, but he’s a non threat to shoot from deep. If he could simply keep him from getting right to the rim on the occasional possession, that’s a win. Definitely would prefer to keep him, or any of our bigs, on Mitchell in the post tho.

I'm pretty sure the information I was referring to was comparing Tennessee's last 25 games to one of the periods here.

1990-1996 was a rough stretch.

View attachment 533171

Must be the five year period starting with Wade's next to last year through O'Neill. That's 20 conference wins in five years.

Everyone joked that the women's team could beat the men's team. Sad times for a UT men's hoops fan.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Not saying he would shut down allen, but he’s a non threat to shoot from deep. If he could simply keep him from getting right to the rim on the occasional possession, that’s a win. Definitely would prefer to keep him, or any of our bigs, on Mitchell in the post tho.
The issue is they run tons of P&R and try to get bigs switched onto the guards, Plavsic & Aidoo to a lesser extent are very good at hedging it or icing that screen and getting back, Awaka is not near that level yet.

Watched Purdue last night. We don't any part of Edey. Plav would be fouled out by half (two of them being technicals).
Wish he was a little more like Robinson (?) of Mich.

Watching some of Texas, interesting team, they play super small and a hectic style…looking to force turnovers, and really pressure the ball which has been a weakness for our guards previously so curious to see how they handle it. They don’t shoot well from 3 (hope I didn’t jinx it) and they’ll play 3-4 non shooters at a time, just looking to drive past their man and break things down and feast in the lane, they are really good around the room which is a bit surprising given they aren’t very big. Feels to me like turnovers will be a huge part of the game Saturday, keep our number around 12 or so and I feel pretty good.
It’s just commonplace that typically bad shooters go off against us. Lol hasn’t really happened so far this season. Hopefully it doesn’t rear its head Saturday.

I feel like every game we play is about being dialed in on defense.

We've given up 60 or more only 5 times and we're 2-3 in those games and we went to OT against USC to beat them. The other win against Vandy we gave up 39 in the first half just sleepwalking, but the team came out focused in the second half and held them to just 29.

VN Store

Back