The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Yup…ideally add a PG who can also play off ball alongside Zeigler, and then a wing who can light it up.

Assuming it's an ACL, a significant chunk of next season will likely be in jeopardy.

On a positive side, maybe this opens us up to higher level of PG than Key, for example, in the portal....

Assuming it's an ACL, a significant chunk of next season will likely be in jeopardy.

On a positive side, maybe this opens us up to higher level of PG than Key, for example, in the portal....

ACL's go much faster these days. I believe Hooker is already at 75 percent 3.5 months after surgery. They are basically a 6 month injury now for most people.

ACL's go much faster these days. I believe Hooker is already at 75 percent 3.5 months after surgery. They are basically a 6 month injury now for most people.

It's still a full 9-12 months for basketball players. That assumes there is limited swelling/no other issues. Hopefully, it's closer to the 9 month timeframe.

Even with Hooker, most NFL teams still view him as a PUP guy (miss first 6 weeks)

Dr. Chao, the guy that does video injury analysis, speculates ACL plus meniscus for ZZ. The ACL appeared to be a given but the meniscus, if true, could put a bigger chunk of next year in jeopardy.

He did miss Zach Wilson's injury earlier this year so maybe there is hope...

Players come back earlier but they are still not the same till they have been recovered for a while. Ronald Acuna played last year but was a shell of himself. They say he looks much better this spring.

Reactions: berryvol
My heart aches for ZZ, I would love for him to be back to play next year but honestly if he wants to RS and make sure he's 100% healed I wouldn't blame him at all.

I just hope BJ Edwards is ready to work this off-season...he's basically going to have the opportunity to be the starting PG until ZZ is back healthy. I'm sure we'll add someone else in the portal, but BJ has a full year in the system and with this staff to put him ahead of anyone new that comes in.

I think Key if healthy can run the point for us well enough that if the team is playing locked in on defense we can still make noise. But obviously he's not ZZ. Hopefully the rest of the team stays healthy and they pull together to win another 5 or 6 games for ZZ.

My heart aches for ZZ, I would love for him to be back to play next year but honestly if he wants to RS and make sure he's 100% healed I wouldn't blame him at all.

I just hope BJ Edwards is ready to work this off-season...he's basically going to have the opportunity to be the starting PG until ZZ is back healthy. I'm sure we'll add someone else in the portal, but BJ has a full year in the system and with this staff to put him ahead of anyone new that comes in.

I think Key if healthy can run the point for us well enough that if the team is playing locked in on defense we can still make noise. But obviously he's not ZZ. Hopefully the rest of the team stays healthy and they pull together to win another 5 or 6 games for ZZ.
I’d bet on Dilione playing over Edwards if one were forced to cover the PG spot. Both are combo guards, but Dilione has the better PG skills, IMO.

I’d bet on Dilione playing over Edwards if one were forced to cover the PG spot. Both are combo guards, but Dilione has the better PG skills, IMO.

I'd say both will get plenty of minutes, just depends on which one is better defensively. Barnes will sacrifice some offense to play the better defender. But he'll also want someone that doesn't turn it over.

Not sure our team will be better necessarily without ZZ healthy, but it could force a few of these other guards we'll have to have to step up. Will be interesting to see what the dynamic looks like with BJ Edwards, Dilione, Carr, DJ Jefferson, Mashack next year.

I still expect we'll add a true PG in the portal though, especially if ZZ has torn something.

I'd say both will get plenty of minutes, just depends on which one is better defensively. Barnes will sacrifice some offense to play the better defender. But he'll also want someone that doesn't turn it over.

Not sure our team will be better necessarily without ZZ healthy, but it could force a few of these other guards we'll have to have to step up. Will be interesting to see what the dynamic looks like with BJ Edwards, Dilione, Carr, DJ Jefferson, Mashack next year.

I still expect we'll add a true PG in the portal though, especially if ZZ has torn something.
Oh I all but guarantee it, regardless of ZZ status.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I think this injury will make Tennessee a lot more attractive to an elite true PG transfer. Hey, come run the show for a perennial top 15 team, that's top 5 in attendance, Game Day will probably come again, play for the PG whisperer (even tho he's going to ride your ass) and now, doesn't even have a true PG on the roster. Man, the best PGs in the transfer portal "should" be beating on our door. I think we get one of the top 2 PGs in the portal, this year. You know, I can be overly optimistic, but it makes perfect sense to me. Should be able to throw some NIL money out, too

Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble.
Everyone knows what I think of RB, but I think he deserves a break for the last couple weeks and whatever happens to end This season. He hasn't had a full deck for a solid month and won't to finish the season. It is what it is with the late breaks this team got.

You’re in time out. Go sit in the corner and think about what you just wrote.

Everyone knows what I think of RB, but I think he deserves a break for the last couple weeks and whatever happens to end This season. He hasn't had a full deck for a solid month and won't to finish the season. It is what it is with the late breaks this team got.

Who took over your account?

Character growth

Vols are back in the athletic power rankings at #9

9. Tennessee (22-8)
True story: We actively chose not to watch Tennessee play Tuesday night. There were other games we were more interested in, namely San Diego State at Boise State, which carried real NCAA Tournament stakes in a way that Tennessee-Arkansas couldn’t match. (Arkansas is almost certain to get in the tournament regardless of what happened in Knoxville; Boise State kind of needed that win over the Aztecs.)

But we see Tennessee played well! Good for Tennessee. The metrics still love this team, and for understandable reasons, reasons that we agreed with for huge chunks of the season: When the Volunteers are making shots, playing even average offense, the defense is so good that they are almost impossible to beat. The problem is that we really don’t trust this offense. Injuries have been a factor, and now Tennessee has a new one to contend with, a knee injury that took guard Zakai Zeigler out of the game after three minutes, an injury that kept Zeigler down, which is how his teammates and coaches knew it was serious. On Wednesday afternoon, the school announced that he had torn his ACL and will miss the rest of the season. (That kid is all dog. He’ll come back stronger, believe that.) Josiah-Jordan James missed time; Santiago Vescovi had some nagging issues; Tyreke Key has missed the last two games.

But overall, no matter the personnel blend, even at full strength, the moments of genuinely efficient offensive play have been very few and far between. The games when the offense just no-shows have been more frequent — and all it takes to end your season is one.

VN Store

Back