The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

It is a weak class, supposedly, but that would certainly be something. He's been a fringe 1st-rounder up to this point. Not sure whether his profile has jumped that quickly or if this is some JWill hyperbole.
It’s really hard for me to judge because there are so many foreign prospects near the top this year too. It’s a lot easier to have an opinion about college players for me anyway.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Big week coming up for Vols,

South Carolina at home
Kentucky on the road

I hate to say it hopefully I'm wrong but I think we split
Best South Carolina
Lose a close one at Kentucky

I don't complain about officiating but there will some home cooking for the Cats we already know this..

Reactions: cardvolfan
I have slept on it, and I think that this upcoming game in Rupp on Saturday night is the win I have wanted most against those coal miners in perhaps my entire life. Big blue nation has been sniffing their own farts a bit too much lately and the love fest for this Kentucky team by the national media has become excessive. I want to shut them up so badly.

Definitely looking forward to the Kentucky game, but my oh my are South Carolina fans feeling the hubris today. I completely support being optimistic about your team, but stuff like this is a little much:

I for some reason have a better feeling about this game than I did Kentucky. We normally have to worry about teams that are much bigger than us and have 3 7 footers. Size wise we match up about the same with Tennessee and our bigs play like they’re 7’2. If we can win the rebound battle like we’ve been doing against bigger teams and keep Knecht in check then we’ll be looking real good. Tennessee has only played 1 team that‘s above Carolina in defensive efficiency and that was Mississippi State, a game they lost. I could just be blindly optimistic about this, but we’ll see……. *knock on wood*
Lord, I don't even know where to start. You're feeling better about a road game against a top 5 team with one of the SEC's toughest road environments than a home game against a defensively flawed Kentucky team? And despite the fact that we've played Purdue, North Carolina, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Alabama, you think the Mississippi State game should be your barometer? The 20-point beatdown of Alabama in Knoxville should probably stand a little taller in their memories. My favorite, though, is that "keeping Knecht in check" is one of his simple keys to success. Yep, that is a very easy thing to do—other SEC teams have excelled at holding him down.

I'm not suggesting it won't be a good game, but some of these South Carolina fans are apparently new to success and completely out of sync with reality.

Definitely looking forward to the Kentucky game, but my oh my are South Carolina fans feeling the hubris today. I completely support being optimistic about your team, but stuff like this is a little much:

Lord, I don't even know where to start. You're feeling better about a road game against a top 5 team with one of the SEC's toughest road environments than a home game against a defensively flawed Kentucky team? And despite the fact that we've played Purdue, North Carolina, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Alabama, you think the Mississippi State game should be your barometer? The 20-point beatdown of Alabama in Knoxville should probably stand a little taller in their memories. My favorite, though, is that "keeping Knecht in check" is one of his simple keys to success. Yep, that is a very easy thing to do—other SEC teams have excelled at holding him down.

I'm not suggesting it won't be a good game, but some of these South Carolina fans are apparently new to success and completely out of sync with reality.

I do believe that this will be a tougher game than originally anticipated, but I still think we’ll win. Lamont Paris is going to run the same script he ran against Kentucky, which is work his offense deep into the shot clock, limit possessions, and just play sound defense.

The problem with that is our defense is FAR better than Kentucky’s and can play man without too much trouble. So, working the shot clock and trying to get off a good shot late is going to be a lot tougher.

It is humorous that this particular SC Jr. fan thinks they matchup better with us. No, were a nightmare matchup for them because their strength is in their guard play. Guard focused teams are where we thrive because we can shut the perimeter down.

I’ll be interested to see how this one goes. Just alter Santi and Mashack on Meechie Johnson and JJJ on Mack and force them to have other guys make shots.

Seems like the only teams that have beaten us had legit Bigs who made a difference on both ends of the court.

Favorable officiating & us playing on the road also a factor.

I do believe that this will be a tougher game than originally anticipated, but I still think we’ll win. Lamont Paris is going to run the same script he ran against Kentucky, which is work his offense deep into the shot clock, limit possessions, and just play sound defense.

The problem with that is our defense is FAR better than Kentucky’s and can play man without too much trouble. So, working the shot clock and trying to get off a good shot late is going to be a lot tougher.

It is humorous that this particular SC Jr. fan thinks they matchup better with us. No, were a nightmare matchup for them because their strength is in their guard play. Guard focused teams are where we thrive because we can shut the perimeter down.

I’ll be interested to see how this one goes. Just alter Santi and Mashack on Meechie Johnson and JJJ on Mack and force them to have other guys make shots.
This is a good breakdown, but USCjr definitely has some guys capable of making tough shots at the end of the shot clock like Vandy - and I trust more USCjr guys than vandy guys to do this. Ultimately, I think this would play out like the vandy game, with a small margin of victory, if we were playing them in Columbus. With this being a home game, we should comfortably win, as long as we don’t overlook them and come ready.

This is a good breakdown, but USCjr definitely has some guys capable of making tough shots at the end of the shot clock like Vandy - and I trust more USCjr guys than vandy guys to do this. Ultimately, I think this would play out like the vandy game, with a small margin of victory, if we were playing them in Columbus. With this being a home game, we should comfortably win, as long as we don’t overlook them and come ready.

Columbia

South Carolina is playing well and has confidence. The handled Kentucky in Columbia pretty easily which was impressive and surprising. They space well in halfcourt and their bigs are underappreciated as passers, so our rotations are going to have to be on spot. If we overhelp they will find the open guy. They will drive the ball to kick it back out often and don't turn the ball over much. Aidoo vs Mack is going to be an interesting matchup. Mack has bulk but will take Aidoo out on the perimeter and is a willing shooter from 3 which opens up lane for their guards. SC has decent defensive # but wonder if that stat is more attributed to how they like to control the pace of the game.

Aidoo may be able to dominate on interior as they really don't have many shot blockers so UT should be aggressive and get to the rim. If we fall in love early with perimeter shot and miss, Carolina can play with the lead and is good at holding it as the clock shrinks with their style as their adjusted tempo is 349 out of 362 teams.

I assume their forward Stute will be out with shoulder injury. Like so many teams these days we need to run them off the 3 pt line (especially Cooper) and force them to finish in the paint or midrange. At home if our complementary scorers can put the ball in the basket, we can pull away in 2nd half especially if we maintain a lead throughout and force them to change their gameplan.

South Carolina is having a good start to their season. I hope their win against Kentucky was enough to put them in the top 25 this week. Should boost our SOS some.

If we were favored by 5 points at home against Bama, we’ll be favored over USCjr buy 8-10 I would figure. Not that it tells you how the game will go but from what we’ve all seen, this program under Barnes does NOT lose on their home floor. If they decide to get in a defensive pissing match, let them size it up and see if they’re as good as they think they are. I don’t think anybody will come into our arena and outwork us defensively. Nobody. Not only do they have to find ways to score against the #2 defensive team in the country, they also have to guard Dalton Knecht. And if they think he’s the only offensive player to worry about then the rest will beat them.

If we were favored by 5 points at home against Bama, we’ll be favored over USCjr buy 8-10 I would figure. Not that it tells you how the game will go but from what we’ve all seen, this program under Barnes does NOT lose on their home floor. If they decide to get in a defensive pissing match, let them size it up and see if they’re as good as they think they are. I don’t think anybody will come into our arena and outwork us defensively. Nobody. Not only do they have to find ways to score against the #2 defensive team in the country, they also have to guard Dalton Knecht. And if they think he’s the only offensive player to worry about then the rest will beat them.
Agreed. As long as we defend the 3, they'll have issues scoring the ball. They shot 46% from 3 in a win against Kentucky vs. 23% in a loss at home to Georgia. We just need to come out and apply the pressure, give them fits, then run clean & efficient offense.

VN Store

Back