The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Idk. Redick didn’t really earn the HC spot in a traditional way, but just because he doesn’t deserve it doesn’t mean any other particular person was entitled to it and therefore has the right to be mad about it

I think they do in a greater sense. Not mad that they specifically should have gotten it, but the fact that some ex-player podcaster with no experience got one of the most high profile jobs in sports is kind of an insult in a professional sense. I mean it's their HC position so they have the right to hire whoever they want, but people have the right to call it stupid too.

I think they do in a greater sense. Not mad that they specifically should have gotten it, but the fact that some ex-player podcaster with no experience got one of the most high profile jobs in sports is kind of an insult in a professional sense. I mean it's their HC position so they have the right to hire whoever they want, but people have the right to call it stupid too.
Sure I agree they have a right to call it stupid. I think I have a right to call it stupid, which it is, and I don’t coach basketball at all. But to be mad about it? I just disagree

Idk. Redick didn’t really earn the HC spot in a traditional way, but just because he doesn’t deserve it doesn’t mean any other particular person was entitled to it and therefore has the right to be mad about it

I sort of get your point.

I just think of someone like Sam Cassell. He had a good pro career. He has had a good career as an assistant. Just won a title.

Now I don’t know if he has any desire to be a head coach. Idk if he was interested in the job.

But if someone like him was in fact interested, it just begs the question, what’s the point? Why even put in all the that work if it isn’t valued? Just befriend LeBron and wax poetic on a podcast.

I sort of get your point.

I just think of someone like Sam Cassell. He had a good pro career. He has had a good career as an assistant. Just won a title.

Now I don’t know if he has any desire to be a head coach. Idk if he was interested in the job.

But if someone like him was in fact interested, it just begs the question, what’s the point? Why even put in all the that work if it isn’t valued? Just befriend LeBron and wax poetic on a podcast.
I can see frustration for sure. I just don’t know who you could justifiably be mad at

This doesn’t change my point here, but I also think, as others on here have alluded to, there may have been less interest in the job than would be expected given the age of the roster and the instability of the job since P. Jackson

Reactions: berryvol
This is a weekend that a lot of college basketball coaches around the country like. It’s an evaluation window, but players are only playing with their high school teams (not their summer/travel teams) in ‘showcase’ type events in each state.

Rick Barnes will be in Indianapolis on Friday to watch Braylen Mullins from Greenfield, Ind. Mullins is a big time shooting guard who could be certainly be difficult to pull out of Indiana but the Vols are going to make a run at him.

On Saturday Barnes and the staff will shift locations to Washington D.C. where the main focus will be 2025 four star guard Acaden Lewis from Sidwell Friends School in Baltimore.

Lewis is a guy that absolutely blew up this spring. He didn’t exactly come out of nowhere, but he’s gone from a nice looking top-100 player to one of the more coveted guards in the class. Since the spring evaluation period he’s received offers from Kentucky, UNC and UCONN in addition to Tennessee.

While in the D.C. area Tennessee will also see 2025 point guard prospect Nyk Lewis from powerhouse Gonzaga High School and four-star wing Nate Ament.

We mentioned five-star Chris Cenac last week as a guy that Tennessee was paying a lot of attention to at the NBPA Top-100 Camp in Orlando. That’s going to be a highly competitive recruitment to say the least, but keep an eye on the Vols perhaps laying in the weeds there.

Offseason workouts are underway for the current squad minus incoming transfer Igor Milicic. Milicic is back home hoping to earn a spot on the Polish national team.

Milicic is one of 17 players vying for one of 12 roster spots on the team that will take part in next month’s Olympics in Paris. Interestingly, Milcic’s father is the coach of the Polish national team.

Tennessee would love to have the whole roster together, but as someone close to the program told us this week, Milicic will benefit tremendously from his experience this month whether he ends making the final team or not.

Summer workouts have been underway for less than two weeks, so we aren’t going to hype anyone too much at this stage.

With that said, we’ve heard that the staff has been pleasantly surprised with incoming freshman Bishop Boswell. No one is suggesting that he’s going to light the world on fire this season, but the sense seems to be that he may be closer to being able to contribute than might have been previously thought.

Another guy who has generated some early buzz is Felix Okpara who has impressed with his high motor and his athleticism.
-VQ

Flame away, I get it’s only been two weeks, but it’s just the worried part in me.

Anyone else think Dubar may try to Ledlum out of the program? (If he even can, I think BTO already told me something regarding guys being able to leave)

I don’t recall him congratulating anyone on committing like the others did. I guess he could just be a quiet kid, which is a good thing.

Flame away, I get it’s only been two weeks, but it’s just the worried part in me.

Anyone else think Dubar may try to Ledlum out of the program? (If he even can, I think BTO already told me something regarding guys being able to leave)

I don’t recall him congratulating anyone on committing like the others did. I guess he could just be a quiet kid, which is a good thing.
Certainly possible, but sounds like Ledlum was getting cooked in practice and JJJ was obviously better 4 for the team. Igor isn't even practicing with team right now so hard to say Dubar already feels inferior to rest of the wings on team when his main competition is gone.

Doesn’t sound that way from what I’ve read on here and beyond. Good UT insider on the trilly discord said the staff is overhauling his shot, as our staff and NBA scouts recommended. He’s also being pushed to get in better shape for next season and his pro career. If both of those are the priority they seem to be for him, he would be hustling backwards to transfer so late. Our staff is also some of the best in the game at both the things he needs to get better at, so would be crazy for him to jump elsewhere, especially with his high ceiling here.

Doesn’t sound that way from what I’ve read on here and beyond. Good UT insider on the trilly discord said the staff is overhauling his shot, as our staff and NBA scouts recommended. He’s also being pushed to get in better shape for next season and his pro career. If both of those are the priority they seem to be for him, he would be hustling backwards to transfer so late. Our staff is also some of the best in the game at both the things he needs to get better at, so would be crazy for him to jump elsewhere, especially with his high ceiling here.
Great to hear then!!!!

Love this.

FWIW, same guy also had glowing reviews about the new guys, sans Igor since he’s not with the team yet. Sounds like everyone is progressing great, just need ZZ to get healthy since he’s nursing a hand injury.
Yeah I’ve read the reports on the others, for some reason I didnt see Dubar or maybe I just jumped over him.

Any case, thanks for that info! Glad to hear it.

Is it possible it’s the paranoid from excessive Mary Jane causing these negative thoughts?

Dam. I might have to make room on my most hated list for Texas A&M. They’ll never pass Georgia, but yesterday really pisses me off.

2pm first pitch today on ABC, boys. Zero room for playing sloppy.

Complete stinker in the biggest game of the year. At least it wasn’t an elimination game. Hope we bounce back and perform well today. Give us a Game 3 and I really like our chances to win. Gotta survive today though.

Complete stinker in the biggest game of the year. At least it wasn’t an elimination game. Hope we bounce back and perform well today. Give us a Game 3 and I really like our chances to win. Gotta survive today though.

It was one of those random days. A&M wasn’t necessarily knocking the cover off of the ball, but it seemed to get hit in the perfect spots. A lot of their hits would have been outs if just hit on a slightly different path.

TN needs to have their bats working today. The best hitters can’t be going 0-fer. Can’t leave so many runners on base.

It was one of those random days. A&M wasn’t necessarily knocking the cover off of the ball, but it seemed to get hit in the perfect spots. A lot of their hits would have been outs if just hit on a slightly different path.

TN needs to have their bats working today. The best hitters can’t be going 0-fer. Can’t leave so many runners on base.

A&M had 13 hits, but Iike you said most of them were perfectly placed singles in the gaps of the defense.

I think our bats will show up today. I am still a bit worried about the defense though. Some really impressive plays in CF this post-season, but outside of that it’s been a clown show. We need a clean game today on defense. Beam throws to contact and does not have strikeout stuff, so he has to get support from his D or it’s going to be a copy of yesterday.

I like Tears in CF. Maybe move Ensley over to RF. Need his defense.

Late innings may need to PH for Stark a little earlier, like 7th inning. He's at the Mendoza line now.

Billy Amick is a terrific offensive play, although Tennessee is guaranteed at least one throw down first base line every game or two from him.

I think Tony would have pinch hit for Stark on the double play but the back up catcher was DH. They would have lost the DH if they moved Peebles. It all worked out when Cal hit the HR later.

I think Tony would have pinch hit for Stark on the double play but the back up catcher was DH. They would have lost the DH if they moved Peebles. It all worked out when Cal hit the HR later.
Peebles could have just moved defensively to Catcher and Bargo/Chapman/Backup could have replaced Stark in the lineup and DH'd.

Peebles could have just moved defensively to Catcher and Bargo/Chapman/Backup could have replaced Stark in the lineup and DH'd.

I thought the same thing, but from what I read online from other reporters that rule doesn’t exist in college. If you move Peebles from DH into the field you lose the DH. Which probably explains why we haven’t seen more of him in lineups in the post-season.

VN Store

Back