The Official #1 Tennessee @ Texas A&M National Championship Game 2 Thread (Sun. June 23 2PM EST) (ABC)

People are making too much of the fact that A&M is throwing a bullpen game. They have the best bullpen in the country. I feel like it’s asking too much of any lineup, even ours, to win back to back elimination games against these guys. We are the clear underdog in this series now.
You may have a point but reading some of these post its hard for me to believe we beat this unbeatable best team on a neutral field this year. How in the world did we do that.

Reactions: volsagain
Last night I thought about a conversation between Generals Sherman and Grant after the first disastrous day at Shiloh.
Sherman remarked, “Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?” Grant, unmoved, drew from his cigar and proclaimed, “Yes. Lick em tomorrow though.”

I think we respond well today.

You may have a point but reading some of these post its hard for me to believe we beat this unbeatable best team on a neutral field this year. How in the world did we do that.
But it was the same pitching matchup that we just lost last night.

We just need the same blue bozo to not be behind the plate anymore. His strike zone was atrocious and moved like a vagabond.
Not placing this at blues feet, because his strike zone extended down to there, but it sure as heck didn’t help as we weren’t playing our normal VOLball.

It’s nice to be confident but our pitching and infield defense was horrible yesterday and it’s been suspect all year. We also can’t let the Aggies go to the 7th with the lead. We didn’t have a clue against their closer. We may have lost our confidence last night. A&M sure made it look easy.
Yep, a lost cause.

Need a complete performance today. Defense HAS to be better. But if we can find a way to win, I like our chances to take it all in Game 3. The longer this series goes, the better for us.
Burning their most reliable arm on long relief and putting a healthy pitch count on their superstar closer did not hurt our cause either.

People are making too much of the fact that A&M is throwing a bullpen game. They have the best bullpen in the country. I feel like it’s asking too much of any lineup, even ours, to win back to back elimination games against these guys. We are the clear underdog in this series now.
Sounds like we should just give up now! Why even play today?

We have been number one for a while. People always throw their best at us. Unfortunately for them-- we have the best hitters.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I like our chances with the next two starters on the mound. Hopefully today we play much cleaner and IMO stay out of 0-2 and 1-2 counts with almost every at bat. But you simply can not try to get the pitch count up by taking pitches in the zone then wind up having to hit the pitchers best pitch or get frozen on a two strike count by a change, slider, or breaking ball. But I still like our chances!
The problem with that is our infield hasn’t played a clean game all year. Third base is an error waiting to happen, shortstop cannot field the ball cleanly, our second baseman makes the hard play look easy and then makes a easy catch and throw look like an adventure and then our first baseman tries to play a second base when he should be covering first. The infield defense is atrocious and we cannot give outs to A&M. We did last night. Our offense is potent when the long ball is going out but we just can’t get a base hit and play small ball when a base hit can keep you in a game against great pitching. All that to say, we are certainly an underdog moving forward in this series. Go Vols prove me wrong!!!

Reactions: theroyz71
Not placing this at blues feet, because his strike zone extended down to there, but it sure as heck didn’t help as we weren’t playing our normal VOLball.
I don't want to come off saying that blue had everything to do with this. More so, our lack of focus and trying to play from behind is what ultimately done us in. It was inevitable at some point that playing from behind would bite us, despite what we have done all year.

With that being said, blue did affect our bats. When you're having to swing at junk because it's gonna be called a strike, it's damning evidence that he shouldn't be behind the plate. Not to mention, many of the same pitches were only called one way.

I'll reiterate that blue isn't the biggest factor in why we lost, but it did play a part in our mechanics and fundamentals at the plate.

VN Store

Back