The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Knoxville Super Regional Game 3 Thread (Sun. June 9th 7:06PM EST) (ESPNU)

There is hope. One day the light will go on and you will discover life is much more enjoyable as a very casual fan rather than a diehard fan that lets it control your moods and emotions. Happened to me in my early 50s. I mostly now just look at scores and think “hey they won, cool” or “oh they lost - oh well”.
My wife of almost 30 years doesn’t understand why I watch sports. Our daughter asks me how watching sport is a stress reliever as I yell @ the TV and then pout when we lose.

I know there are more important things in life, but I’m so passionate about my Vols. I love the Steelers but don’t get as upset when they lose.

My wife of almost 30 years doesn’t understand why I watch sports. Our daughter asks me how watching sport is a stress reliever as I yell @ the TV and then pout when we lose.

I know there are more important things in life, but I’m so passionate about my Vols. I love the Steelers but don’t get as upset when they lose.

Go. Steelers.

What is the rain looking like?
Latest...
1717955881065.png
That first section of rain due west of Nashville has been dissipating. Hopeful about that one.

That second batch with all the yellow-orange is due around 8pm, according to Weather Underground.

You have a rebuttal for everything. A lot of folks who know ball better than you and I had UF has a preseason top 5 team for a reason, they’ve finally put it together in the tournament and late in the SEC reg season. They’re not here simply for beating Nebraska. Very similar to us last year but the record is worse as a result of their schedule. Give them our non-conf schedule and they’re every bit of 8-10 games better than their record is today.
Keep sticking up for Florida. Doesn’t matter they have made a run now. They didn’t deserve to get in. I guess Florida automatically deserves a spot in the CFP in football due to their SOS too? You know good and well we wouldn’t have made the tournament with their record regardless of SOS. They have representation on the selection committee. That’s why they got it. Why didn’t Ole Miss get in? They had the 2nd ranked SOS and very similar record and RPI. Oh yeah they didn’t have someone on the inside. Nothing but politics whenever they select these teams. They knew what schedule they had before the season and were picked to WIN the East. They didn’t win enough games to get in and finished 13-18 vs SEC competition. I don’t care what they are doing now.

Reactions: Orange931
We’ve been in Omaha 2 of the last 3 years. I’d say that’s dealing with the spotlight pretty good. It’s hard to win a NC, period, especially in baseball.

I get it. Baseball is especially difficult. But the fact remains that you either figure out a way to win the Big One or you don’t. Being an “All Everything” school is great, but it can quickly become “Runner-Up University.” It’s like Gonzaga in basketball - Everyone knows they’ll be solid but it also comes with the expectation that they’ll come up short.

No one expects National Championships every year in every sport. But until you win one in recent memory, you’re still not over the hump. We’ve won (I think) only a single game in Omaha ever. Just one. At some point, simply getting there isn’t enough. I think Tony V. sees it that way and is looking to get the Vols hoisting a trophy.

Reactions: Birdvol13
We actually finished with a winning record in the SEC last year. The nerve people have to compare our team last year to this year’s Florida team. It’s laughable how much people stick up for those turds. I’ll send you orange and blue jerseys to match the Pom poms you shake for them.

We actually finished with a winning record in the SEC last year. The nerve people have to compare our team last year to this year’s Florida team. It’s laughable how much people stick up for those turds. I’ll send you orange and blue jerseys to match the Pom poms you shake for them.
Screw the gators that is all 🤨

I get it. Baseball is especially difficult. But the fact remains that you either figure out a way to win the Big One or you don’t. Being an “All Everything” school is great, but it can quickly become “Runner-Up University.” It’s like Gonzaga in basketball - Everyone knows they’ll be solid but it also comes with the expectation that they’ll come up short.

No one expects National Championships every year in every sport. But until you win one in recent memory, you’re still not over the hump. We’ve won (I think) only a single game in Omaha ever. Just one. At some point, simply getting there isn’t enough. I think Tony V. sees it that way and is looking to get the Vols hoisting a trophy.

Interesting. None of the games played up until now matter if we don’t get a trophy? I’ve kinda had a fun baseball season. We got some guys that will play their last game in LNS tonight, win or lose. Been fun to watch the journey. They ain’t gotta prove nothin’ to me. I ain’t really in the habit of going and looking at a trophy case, even if I could I wouldn’t.

GBO!!!

As a general philosophy, We don’t bunt or steal bases however we attack weaknesses and this catcher is just awful at throwing out runners. IMHO. We will force the issue tonight when opportunity presents itself.

I hope we don't need to.

This team might as well be managed by Earl Weaver. Station-to-Station until someone gets the RBI. Yesterday was the first time in a while where we left a lot guys on.

Stealing bases is risky, not just getting thrown out by catcher, but also be doubled-up on a line drive, or injured with too many slides into bases.. We win all year without manufacturing runs and this forces teams that rely on the running game to do the same. They can't beat us with 1 run innings. The Evansville pitching is not good enough to rely on 1-run innings to win. Aces won yesterday because they had crooked numbers. Had they started stealing, bunting and hit-and-running, they would have lost.

The Evanasville coach would be thrilled if the Vols started stealing - even if their catcher couldn't throw anyone out.

Reactions: KptVFL
Well, tough decision today.

I love watching this team play. I have been following TN baseball a long, long time. I joined this board, after lurking for years, when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2022 and was in the midst of radiation, chemo and hormone therapy. Alot of these players who will be in their last game at LNS tonight were the youngsters on that '22 team.

The board was lots of fun and provided me with a much needed community, as well as a distraction from all that other stuff, when I was exausted at the end of the day.

We cheered hard during SEC weekends, but the best moments, for me, were the Tuesday games, the games where the regulars were the only ones here. We got to know each other (as much as one does on a message board.) We laughed a lot. Our humor has even found it's way to some other threads.

Cheering for the Vols on the board took me back to the early 90's undergrad days. It has been a lot of fun.

As we have had more success, the gameday threads have gotten more attention. With that attention has come more posters. Some of those new posters seem to thrive on the negative, or posting off their emotional response to every moment of every game, often in a way that is personal and ugly towards individual players and coaches.

Everyone has the right to post here, of course. I just know that today's game will go one of two ways. If we win, I will enjoy watching a replay when I get home. If we lose, a little part of me will be so very sad to say goodbye to a group of young men who helped bring this old man some joy during very difficult times. If we lose, I will not handle the vitriolic attacks that I know will come towards our players and coaches. I would likely get banned for the sharp things I would say in response to those posts.

So, I am going golfing this evening. If we lose, I can hit "delete" on my recording and grieve the losing fan's grief. If we win, I will join the thread during the replay, following along as the game goes along, and posting joyously late to the party!

Go Big Orange! You all cheer us to victory!

-RW-

Win or lose, this team is special to me, and I will remain ALL VOL!

VN Store

Back