The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-1/2 days before the game and we have 289 posts in the game thread.

Cool.

I'm thrilled to see so many people on the board. I'm not sure they're all new but a lot of past posters on line at the same time.

Looking forward to the actual game time posts.
Let's keep it positive. These are the best 8 teams in the country. I do not see a team that accidentally made it to Omaha as they all have the talent of a top-8 team.

Tennessee will not be facing any second tier starters until at least 5 days down the line. So are batters will be facing top pitchers; as our pitchers will be facing some great hitters.

I know Tennessee has the most talented roster overall, but baseball often does not care. The best hitters will fail 50-67% of the time. It how they "fail" that matters. Have quality ABs and make it easier for the next guy to succeed or you to succeed in the next AB.

I will be watching from the beach. Gin & tonic in hand and will try to be as mellow as possible. Let's bask in what are clearly the glory days.
Louder for let's keep it positive!!! 🍊⚾🍊⚾

Second quarter sounds like Dr. Magid….aka the human typewriter.
Magid is vaguely familiar, but not sure it's him. Then again you will notice I said quarters instead of semesters, which means I was at UT a long time ago. Second quarter O-chem for me would have been Winter quarter '80.

(As you can tell by my message numbers, I'm what you call a loiterer (long time member, but don't post a lot). Finally decided to add an avatar to my profile. I could tell you what the image is, ..... but then I'd have to kill all of you. 😎)

Last edited:
So we coming out of the gate hot and hammering these seminNOOOO's?! Who are you guys speculating will be the first two on the mound?
Sounds like FSU will be going with Arnold, who is probably the best remaining pitcher out there. I'm sure we'll stick with the Stamos/Causey combo. "Hammering" FSU is a big ask with that guy. I think our gameplan will have to be similar to UConn's - try to drive the pitch count up, squeeze out any runs we can while he's in there, and then hope to pounce late in the game.

Magid is vaguely familiar, but not sure it's him. Then again you will notice I said quarters instead of semesters, which means I was at UT a long time ago. Second quarter O-chem for me would have been Winter quarter '80.

(As you can tell by my message numbers, I'm what you call a loiterer (long time member, but don't post a lot). Finally decided to add an avatar to my profile. I could tell you what the image is, ..... but then I'd have to kill all of you. 😎)
Quarters, I recall, not just pitchers at The Lap!

So we coming out of the gate hot and hammering these seminNOOOO's?! Who are you guys speculating will be the first two on the mound?
I think they’ll come out hot and surprised if Tony and Frank mess with the rotation. Even if we drop game 1, I’m confident in this team coming through this bracket and getting it done.

Vols and FSU will be a great matchup. Will be interesting to see our approach against their ace. I think if we could squeeze out run or two against him and get to their pen and hope to score more late in the game. Causey has been our most consistent pitcher all year and his off speed pitches are very good. It would be really nice if stamos could get through their lineup one time which would allow Causey to probably get through their lineup at least twice before handing it over to the pen 8th and 9th. I think the team that takes chances and runs more will be at an advantage to win. I know this is easier said than done, but when Tibbs hits hopefully no one is on base. That guy can swing it with the best of them. The first game at Omaha is always the hardest and the most important. I think we can knock them off but don’t be surprised if this is a 1 run nail-biter type of game. I’m trusting Tony and our guys to get over that first game hump and pull off a huge win for the Vols baseball program. Just remember Vol land, we are the best team in the country so FSU has their hands full developing a game plan to attack our hitters. Oh yeah, the Vols can hit dongs at that park, just hope the wind is not blowing in Friday night.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if #33 AJ Russell got to travel with the team to Omaha? I couldn't see his jersey number in team pictures at the stadium.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Vols and FSU will be a great matchup. Will be interesting to see our approach against their ace. I think if we could squeeze out run or two against him and get to their pen and hope to score more late in the game. Causey has been our most consistent pitcher all year and his off speed pitches are very good. It would be really nice if stamos could get through their lineup one time which would allow Causey to probably get through their lineup at least twice before handing it over to the pen 8th and 9th. I think the team that takes chances and runs more will be at an advantage to win. I know this is easier said than done, but when Tibbs hits hopefully no one is on base. That guy can swing it with the best of them. The first game at Omaha is always the hardest and the most important. I think we can knock them off but don’t be surprised if this is a 1 run nail-biter type of game. I’m trusting Tony and our guys to get over that first game hump and pull off a huge win for the Vols baseball program. Just remember Vol land, we are the best team in the country so FSU has their hands full developing a game plan to attack our hitters. Oh yeah, the Vols can hit dongs at that park, just hope the wind is not blowing in Friday night.
IMG_5261.gif

My second quarter of OC was winter quarter of 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back