The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
College baseball has become like pinball. Balls absolutely fly off the aluminum bats, and everybody is scoring double-digit
runs /regularly/.Look at yesterday's game: In four of the five, the winning team scored 11, 11, 12 and 15 runs. Ridiculous. We lost 10-8 two days ago. Georgia got beat two days ago by 17 runs! Absurd. I was pleased to see Oregon State and Kentucky engage in an old-school 3-2 game. We still see the occasional great pitchers, to be sure--but the game is now about out-slugging your opponent.

And speaking of slugging and homers, didn't we lead the nation in homers, what, two or three years ago--but that did not work in our favor when we got to Omaha because it's a big park? The same dynamic could come into play again. Let's hope not. Certainly, most of the home runs we hit at L. Nelson would go out of any park, but the dimensions in Omaha could be a factor.
cool

Reactions: tn4elvis
Omaha is all about pitching and who gets hot at the plate. We have the best offensive lineup there...aTm drops with their star going down...UGA is second. Maybe FSU 3rd? All in all, if our bats can stay hot and pitching hold up, we will have a shot.

Last edited:
I know our side of bracket played Super regional games on Friday but I have not seen anything official we are playing this Friday. Is there any possibility we could land on Saturday?

Last edited:
I know our side of bracket played Super regional games on Friday but I have not seen anything official we are playing this Friday. Is there an possibility we could land on Saturday?

2024 Men's College World Series schedule

Brackets for Men’s College World Series games won’t be determined until Monday, June 10.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I’m hoping the long ball keeps traveling in the CWS. The field bigger. That being said, I think we have the pitching to keep us in any game and the hitting to overcome any deficit.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I realize the field depth is greater than what most college teams typically see. But most of the long balls the Vols have been hitting are well outside of the park.

Here are the dimensions left to right:

335 - 375 - 408 - 375 - 335 (Omaha)

The official LNS website has the following: 320 - 360 - 390 - 360 - 320
Another source has LNS as 335 - 373 - 404 - 358 - 330

Most of the long balls have been well over 400 yards and typically not straight away center. Is it really the ballpark or the fact that these are the top teams and thus typically have the best pitchers?

Reactions: jerrync
I would also think the added depth makes it harder for the outfielders to cover the outfield - which may be why those teams that play the "short ball" game do as well as they do.

I realize the field depth is greater than what most college teams typically see. But most of the long balls the Vols have been hitting are well outside of the park.

Most of the long balls have been well over 400 yards and typically not straight away center. Is it really the ballpark or the fact that these are the top teams and thus typically have the best pitchers?
If we're hittin' em 400 yards, it won't matter what ballpark they put us in.

However, the wind tends to blow in more than not………..that what makes it so big, which is good for our pitchers too.

College baseball has become like pinball. Balls absolutely fly off the aluminum bats, and everybody is scoring double-digit
runs /regularly/.Look at yesterday's game: In four of the five, the winning team scored 11, 11, 12 and 15 runs. Ridiculous. We lost 10-8 two days ago. Georgia got beat two days ago by 17 runs! Absurd. I was pleased to see Oregon State and Kentucky engage in an old-school 3-2 game. We still see the occasional great pitchers, to be sure--but the game is now about out-slugging your opponent.

And speaking of slugging and homers, didn't we lead the nation in homers, what, two or three years ago--but that did not work in our favor when we got to Omaha because it's a big park? The same dynamic could come into play again. Let's hope not. Certainly, most of the home runs we hit at L. Nelson would go out of any park, but the dimensions in Omaha could be a factor.
2 years ago and we didn't make it to Omaha so it didn't matter.

Reactions: CDB
A loss to Florida State and their "Ace" will not kill our chances; but a win? A Win, would put Tennessee in the driver's seat the rest of the first week and allow the Vols to possibly keep their 3-man rotation all the way through the tourney.

I saw in several places this morning that Tennessee is supposedly in the hardest side of the bracket. I say the only reason the top half of the bracket is tough is because Tennessee is in it. The rest of the teams have been wildly inconsistent. The big hitters not on Tennessee are in the "SEC half" of the bracket.

And man! If we could face Kentucky in the finals, with the color orange living in all their fans and school's nightmares, I'll be there with bells on, and playing FIGHT! VOLS FIGHT! on a kazoo. Just knowing the somewhere Pookie Jones will be sitting in a threadbare recliner watching the Vols clinch yet another game and series on an overmatched and undercoached Kentucky squad just give me goosebumps.
I disagree about winning 1 and being in the driver's seat. Need to win the first 2 for the driver's seat position. And if that happens I don't think I will be able to back my expectation down from a championship.

Is there a Tennessee Athletics museum that would take and display some of that memorabilia? Might think about auction off that stuff signed by our heroes to raise funds for future work. Just a thought. Love my checkerboard turf I bought years ago. Just added a Pat Summit signed basketball.

Does anybody want me to request tickets? I’m thinking I’m just going to get cheap seats.

I’ve been told to never buy tickets ahead of time because there are always tickets available at the door for cheap and it’s easy to basically sit where we you want. At least that’s what I’ve heard consistently, and some people sitting in front of me last night told me this was the case as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back