The Official Tennessee @ #8 Alabama Game Thread, 3:30pm ET, CBS

College kickers aren't expected to hit 50 yarders. There were some play calling issues and bad decision making by Dobbs on a couple of the third downs before those field goals.

They aren't expected to hit them 100% of the time, but they are expected to hit them some of the time. 0 for 3 is not acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Finally got to see another game over here while deployed -- Had to watch it with some of my Soldiers ( Alabama fans).

I'm not that disappointed by the level of play. The kids fought hard. I still get irritated by some of the play-calling, but I think that is probably mostly just left-over hatred from the Florida game (the only other game I've gotten to see over here). Overall, this is our team - they are young, banged up, and still thin at some positions.

All that being said, this still isn't good enough. We still don't make the plays when we need it the most. The other team does. We don't. There's enough talent on the field to win these games. I'd sure like for our boys to start some time soon. I think (hope) they will break thru the barrier, but it won't be until next year. Running the table the rest of the way would be great, but it won't answer the toughest (and most important) questions: Florida and Alabama.

Beating UGA was a glimmer of hope. But we have to win more than just one of these to be more than just an afterthought. There's lots to be happy and hopeful about today. However, there is nothing to be satisfied with.

I hope this sticks in our players' minds and they use it for fuel the rest of the way and during next season.

Wow. The most level headed post here was made by someone with so many other distractions. Thank you for your service!
Drama queens, now can you please stfu?

Reactions: 2 people
Butch, thank you for taking a team favored in the East and choking away 4 losses. When it happens 4 times, it aint bad luck and misfortune!

Thanks for 3-4 and thanks for 15-17.

Reactions: 3 people
How many field goals could you hit. Could you even get it off the ground???? I'm pissed we lost but that was the best Bama vs UT game since Kiffen was here. Medley is a 19 year old kid who just missed 3 FG... There's not a person in the state who feels worse than he does

I agree with you that no one on this site could come close to kicking a field goal. However, I thought they should have let Daniels pin them deep instead of trying a long field goal. Also, most importantly, he only has one job.

Thanks for blowing another 4th quarter lead. 1% better for it.

Thanks for keeping Medley in the game. He will be kicking at 60% by the time he is a senior.

Reactions: 3 people
Wow. I typically try to stay away from interacting with this type of statement so close to a loss, but I'm about to break my own rule. All on medley? 3 50+ yard attempts all on medley? Have you heard in 85% of football games when the announcers, paid to discuss the obvious, talk about "4 down territory? That's where medley was kicking from the entire game.
Again, 1 was from less than 50. A kicker in the SEC should not go 0 for 3 even if all are from 50 though.

I am very disappointed that we did not win but.... how many players have we lost, and still almost won to a team we were 15 point underdog. How many of you are on the way to the bank with all the money you made supporting our beloved vols. Damn I hate to lose but ...... just go VOLS

:bash::gun::focus::focus::aggressive::bammer:

Reactions: 4 people
I agree OP. Let's just say I'm glad these posters on here aren't an AD anywhere. I'm proud of our team. Not a moral victory but that was a tough team we just played.

Medley hits them in practice. That's why Butch gave him those opportunities and the fact the defense was playing well.

couldn't watch the game (on a ship in Mexico). From what I am reading, and watching the scores it looks as if TN fought hard, and had every opportunity to win. These kids must have played their hearts out. To be that close to a team as good as the "Red" team, the coaches must of had a good game plan. From what I am gathering, we desperately need a kicker. Medley might have the leg to kick the ball a mile, but when you miss the kick consistently, distance doesn't do you much good. Leaving 9 points on the field is tough, especially when losing by only 5.

One thing Butch needs to do is get another kicker on the filed. Let Medley do kickoffs, but for God sake, please find someone with a little accuracy.

Hate the loss, proud of the effort. For anyone saying this team has not improved from last year, they are a moron.

Reactions: 2 people
Cpl of things from tonight's game.

Backup kicker needs to get a shot - Medley is worst in SEC unfortunately in field goal department.

Defense played well but Jancek simply isn't going to rush more than 4 on 2nd or 3rd and long - and unfortunately many times he only sends three rushers.

Dobbs accuracy improves when the play call permits him to drop back (5 or 7 step), set, and throw.

Alvin Kamara should have been running those sweeps - Hurd, while a great back, could not get to the edge - Kamara is just that much faster/quicker.

Tennessee can throw the ball downfield. Josh Smith is, simply put, a gamer.

Moral Victories do not exist. We are a 3 and 4 football team that should be no worse than 5 and 2 but for some issues that have been discussed previously.

Some of Tennessee's heralded wide receivers can't beat press coverage. Question is whether it is a coaching issue or player issue or bit of both. Swain has said repeatedly that he doesn't agree with how the wide-outs are being coached.

And lastly I love my Vols.

Exactly! He'll get through this eventually. Giving up on a kid isn't the answer.

Yes it is. Unless youve never played any sport, you know there are practice players and there are gameday players. Medley just foesnt have it on game day. Hes too far gone at this point. I had thoughts of him missing the extra point at the end. Its in his head now, and mot his leg. Think Steve Sax! He is DONE. Poor guy.

Losing is not way his fault, but his missed kicks contributed largely to the losses this yr.

Because he knows what's coming. We are.

And for all you menstrating little *****es who continue to throw the coaches and players under the bus, bite me. I'm sick of all of you. We lost, but those kids believe. Thank goodness that's all that matters. Nobody on this board matters within the walls of TN football and that's a good thing. Peace.

Posivols are worse than soccer moms.

Butch, thank you for taking a team favored in the East and choking away 4 losses. When it happens 4 times, it aint bad luck and misfortune!

Thanks for 3-4 and thanks for 15-17.

If you can't see how this football program is getting better and better, you sure are an ignorant person when it comes to evaluating football programs!! Please go root for a program that meets you "standards" and quit embarrassing yourself here!
:loco:

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back