The Official Tennessee vs LSU College World Series Game 1 Thread (Sat. June 17 7PM EST) ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im Not feeling Hunter Ensley or Cal Stark. They have struggled mightily in the supers. Hope that changes and Burke gets hot and C.Mo from the regionals Shows up

Cal behind the plate seems to be working out pretty well, especially the last 15 innings which were a shut out. Yes our pitching is MLB talent, but they guy behind the plate is a huge part of it. Let’s keep him right there. And really let’s roll with all of who got us here. When one struggles someone else emerges, it has been exciting to see it down the stretch.

I keep thinking that Skenes has to have an off day, it’s inevitable…..but so far is “off day” hasn’t happened

Agreed. Even the best pitchers in the major leagues have bad starts. Granted, Skenes will face better lineups in the majors more consistently, but to go an entire season with basically no bad starts is unheard of. I think he’s due. If we can knock him out by the 5th inning it changes the entire complexion of the game as we have a major bullpen advantage. LSU is a one trick pony. It’s a good trick though.

Agreed. Even the best pitchers in the major leagues have bad starts. Granted, Skenes will face better lineups in the majors more consistently, but to go an entire season with basically no bad starts is unheard of. I think he’s due. If we can knock him out by the 5th inning it changes the entire complexion of the game as we have a major bullpen advantage. LSU is a one trick pony. It’s a good trick though.
Sit fastball and hit him early.

This has probably been brought up elsewhere, but how about the improvement over the season of the infield defense? Early in conference play we were one of the worst infields in the league. In post season, we've been elite. Especially proud of Burke's improvement. While he's struggled at the plate, he's been outstanding at first base.

I watched us go toe to toe with Wake, in the preseason.
We had realistic opportunities to win the series in Baton Rouge.
We’ll be ok.
I thought we could have swept LSU . We played horrible defense. Had like multiple errors in the games down there. I am definitely not scared of them GEUX Vols

Cal behind the plate seems to be working out pretty well, especially the last 15 innings which were a shut out. Yes our pitching is MLB talent, but they guy behind the plate is a huge part of it. Let’s keep him right there. And really let’s roll with all of who got us here. When one struggles someone else emerges, it has been exciting to see it down the stretch.
No doubt the team
Is playing well. I would
Think a little more offensive production from Ensley and Stark would be welcomed.

Tears or Dreiling for Center, Dickey as catcher
Dickey doesn’t hit a lick when catching and the stats prove that, potential injuries loom large too. I’m guessing Ensey’s a much better defender than Drieling at this juncture. Pick your poison, more bat or more defense. I can agree with you on CF, however Iv’e gotta keep Stark behind the plate.

This has probably been brought up elsewhere, but how about the improvement over the season of the infield defense? Early in conference play we were one of the worst infields in the league. In post season, we've been elite. Especially proud of Burke's improvement. While he's struggled at the plate, he's been outstanding at first base.
Defense is much improved.

Tears or Dreiling for Center, Dickey as catcher
I just don’t think there’s a chance that you make this change at this
point in the season. IMHO, Dickey will not catch an inning in Omaha, and the only person who would play CF other than Ensley is Scott. LF will be Dickey or Merritt. I just don’t think we see Dreiling other than at DH or as a PH.

I just don’t think there’s a chance that you make this change at this
point in the season. IMHO, Dickey will not catch an inning in Omaha, and the only person who would play CF other than Ensley is Scott. LF will be Dickey or Merritt. I just don’t think we see Dreiling other than at DH or as a PH.

Yeah, I thought CTV clearly showed his faith in Scott and Stark by not pinch hitting for them in the bottom of the 9th of game 1, down by 2. I was a little surprised that we didn't see PHs there, but I think I'll go ahead and ride with CTV's decisions on such matters.

Yeah, I thought CTV clearly showed his faith in Scott and Stark by not pinch hitting for them in the bottom of the 9th of game 1, down by 2. I was a little surprised that we didn't see PHs there, but I think I'll go ahead and ride with CTV's decisions on such matters.
I personally think Scott has earned the right to hit late in games as he typically puts up solid ABs. Plus, I love that young man based on his loyalty, competitive spirit, and the way he plays the game!

I'd be shocked if TV changed what's working. The only thing, maybe, would be switching Scott and Ensley in the field. Scott may cover more ground and get to more fly balls.

Dickey doesn’t hit a lick when catching and the stats prove that, potential injuries loom large too. I’m guessing Ensey’s a much better defender than Drieling at this juncture. Pick your poison, more bat or more defense. I can agree with you on CF, however Iv’e gotta keep Stark behind the plate.

Don't change this winning formula that Tennessee has concotted at this stage of the season.

First, congrats on the win last night! I said it the other day, and I’ll say it again, the Vols deserve to be in Omaha!

Our pen is thin for sure. Lost several guys earlier in the season. However, if there’s a positive note, our pen didn’t give up a single run in the supers. So, as with most good teams, our pitching has really improved as the season came to a close, and heading into the post season.

This will be, imo, the best game of the opening round. Preseason #1 vs preseason #2. Our side of the bracket is ridiculous though!

Looking forward to the weekend, and best of luck to all you Vol fans. Also, praying for safe travels and a great time for all of you heading to Omaha!
Omaha should be fun. We've been going to SECT in Hoover for 20 (twenty) years, making friends from other SEC schools. LSU friends have been fine folks, especially Jerry, Claire & the "K-Lady". Laissez bontemps roullez, & GO BIG ORANGE. :cool:

Attachments

• SEC Tournament 2019 K-Lady sign.jpg
    SEC Tournament 2019 K-Lady sign.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Im Not feeling Hunter Ensley or Cal Stark. They have struggled mightily in the supers. Hope that changes and Burke gets hot and C.Mo from the regionals Shows up
Ensley has saved us some runs defensively over the Regions and Supers. Cal Stark is the only option right now unless he gets hurt. UT is better defensively with Cal and Ensley on the field than not. Dickey bat is too important to put him at catcher and he burns his legs out. I say we run the same exact lineup out that held USM to 0 runs over the final 15 innings between Game 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back