The Open, 2012

Did you notice what kind of putter Ernie was using?

Els uses the long putter too, but in his case he's using it because he has a bad back. That's not the case with Adam Scott.

I'm not a fan of the long putter. I think it should be banned.

Scott didn't lose this tournament because of his putter. He lost it because he couldn't stay out of the rough and the sand coming down the stretch.

Why should it be banned? It's obviously not giving anyone an advantage

Very debatable. And just because something may have an advantage doesn't mean it works every time. Seems like now almost all the winners have long putters. Weren't the last 4 tournies won by long putters?

If there wasn't an advantage to be gained from it, they wouldnt be using it.

Els uses the long putter too, but in his case he's using it because he has a bad back. That's not the case with Adam Scott.

I'm not a fan of the long putter. I think it should be banned.

Scott didn't lose this tournament because of his putter. He lost it because he couldn't stay out of the rough and the sand coming down the stretch.

Ernie uses belly putter because he can't putt with the short one any longer.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't get the argument. If anyone in the field can use the belly putter, what is everyone griping about? When the rules say that it's cheating, I'll join the horde. Anchoring a putter is probably an advantage, but until it's illegal for someone to use it leave it alone.

Furthermore, I doubt those two were the ones coming to the line because of the length of their putter.

Seriously, what's next? Something that helps my hip come through? Or an attachment that keeps my head stable? Or anchor my crotch in the ground so I can't sway?

I don't get the argument. If anyone in the field can use the belly putter, what is everyone griping about? When the rules say that it's cheating, I'll join the horde. Anchoring a putter is probably an advantage, but until it's illegal for someone to use it leave it alone.

I'm not griping about anything. I clearly stated that I believe the long putters should be banned. Until they are banned, golfers can clearly continue to choose whatever putter they like. Obviously they are doing just that. A lot of people that can't putt well are choosing the longer putters.

I'm not griping about anything. I clearly stated that I believe the long putters should be banned. Until they are banned, golfers can clearly continue to choose whatever putter they like. Obviously they are doing just that. A lot of people that can't putt well are choosing the longer putters.

Just so ya know, I wasn't singling you out. I actually agree that someone shouldn't be allowed to anchor the putter when the rest don't, unless they are allowed to use the same. If they are, there is no argument.

I'd really like to see some stats on the long putter vs conventional. I'd bet the difference is negligible.

I don't know, but there are definitely less moving parts and less moving parts should equal more consistent.

Except that it doesn't.

Here are strokes gained and lost by those on tour who have made the switch:

Code:
Blake Adams	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.482
Keegan Bradley	** * * * * * * * +.087
Chris Couch*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.334
Ernie Els*	** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-.857
Jim Furyk * * * * * * * * * * * * * **	**-.223
Retief Goosen*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.280
J.J. Henry*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.205
Charles Howell III*	** * * * * * * **+.492
Matt Kuchar*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.417
Martin Laird*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.234
Spencer Levin*	** * * * * * * * +.038
Troy Matteson	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.112
Nick O'Hern*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.239
Carl Pettersson	** * * * * * * * +.457
Adam Scott*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.138
Webb Simpson*	** * * * * * * * +.212
Vijay Singh*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.110
Kevin Stadler*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.513
Brendan Steele*	** * * * * * * ** -.115

Except that it doesn't.

Here are strokes gained and lost by those on tour who have made the switch:

Code:
Blake Adams	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.482
Keegan Bradley	** * * * * * * * +.087
Chris Couch*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.334
Ernie Els*	** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-.857
Jim Furyk * * * * * * * * * * * * * **	**-.223
Retief Goosen*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.280
J.J. Henry*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.205
Charles Howell III*	** * * * * * * **+.492
Matt Kuchar*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.417
Martin Laird*	** * * * * * * * * * * **+.234
Spencer Levin*	** * * * * * * * +.038
Troy Matteson	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.112
Nick O'Hern*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.239
Carl Pettersson	** * * * * * * * +.457
Adam Scott*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.138
Webb Simpson*	** * * * * * * * +.212
Vijay Singh*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.110
Kevin Stadler*	** * * * * * * * * * * * *-.513
Brendan Steele*	** * * * * * * ** -.115

Then what is the selling point of a long putter anchored to the belly or stomach?

VN Store

Back