The Virginia Gov race

What percentage of voters elected Obama simply due to his race?

About the same amount that think he did a great job simply due to his race.

Jan. 31, 2007

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

Joe Biden, describing fellow candidate Barack Obama. The remark was made the same day Biden filed the official paperwork to launch his presidential campaign

How about some middle ground between required and prohibited? JFC
I really don’t care about CRT but what does it teach about our racial history that is not already part of the curriculum in schools? It doesn’t take a genius to realize that America has a brutal history of racism and enslavement.

I always liked Carville...think he was one of the most tuned in political consultants

Agreed, Carvilie is a pragmatist more than an ideologue. It is probably him that was able to steer Clinton back towards the center after his first mideterm shellacking, this making a second term possible. The current administration does not appear to have allowed for any such Cassandra in their ranks.

How about some middle ground between required and prohibited? JFC

This is the problem with CRT and other initiatives just like it. I am on the frontlines of this everyday in public school. I teach in Georgia which is a relatively conservative state. US standards dedicate quite a large chunk towards slavery, civil rights, African American culture, etc. to the point where WW2, the Civil War, and Vietnam are compressed to the point where you have little time to cover them in any detail. The whole notion behind CRT is this fallacy that American history leaves out the racial component to many historical events which is factually incorrect. If anything, the need to feel inclusive leaves out many other historical events that have greatly shaped this country like the Civil War, WW2, and Vietnam. You can't cover the Civil War without covering slavery. You can't cover Westward expansion without covering the plight of Native Americans. You can't cover WW2 without covering internment camps. This whole notion that we are cutting out important societal issues is factually incorrect. If the South is covering those issues, then I can assure you they are in the Northeast and West

I think it would. Maybe for starters more repubs would understand that the vast majority of dems want nothing to do with race war nonsense and the perception that they do is fueled by the ones on the right wishing to increase the divide.

This race crap started under Obama. It was his administration that began playing the war of us against them.

I really don’t care about CRT but what does it teach about our racial history that is not already part of the curriculum in schools? It doesn’t take a genius to realize that America has a brutal history of racism and enslavement.
The corrosive effects of CRT is that it unfailing leads to the conclusion that every American is automatically placed into a category of oppressor or oppressed based on the color of their skin. As such, it is a pessimistic worldview in which we are linked to the past with very little opportunity for betterment. We are victims of the past. True anti-racism as envisioned by MLK and the great civil rights crusaders was blazingly bright in optimism for the possibility of a color blind society in which the past was a cautionary tale and a starting point, but in which our better angels made a better world possible, and possible IMMEDIATELY.

I don't remember learning anything about institutional racism in HS. There is much more to CRT than acknowledging the mistake of slavery. It's about understanding the sources of our recent and current racial inequities...like that the war on drugs and our criminal justice system are especially harsh on minorities. This is stuff that I taught to my parents after reading on my own. They mocked the thought that the CJS was unfair to blacks and now they look back at the 80's and 90's and can see that I was right.

Reactions: luthervol
This race crap started under Obama. It was his administration that began playing the war of us against them.
And it was done so cynically. It was all to squeeze out a few more percentage points of voter turnout for short term political power. Never mind that it set America’s slow but steady racial harmony growth back DECADES and pushed the very people it purported to serve further down into inescapable poverty and crime ridden neighborhoods. Obama himself, IMO, never believed any of the snake oil he was pushing

And it was done so cynically. It was all to squeeze out a few more percentage points of voter turnout for short term political power. Never mind that it set America’s slow but steady racial harmony growth back DECADES and pushed the very people it purported to serve further down into inescapable poverty and crime ridden neighborhoods. Obama himself, IMO, never believed any of the snake oil he was pushing
Fun fact: my city funds a comprehensive "community gun violence" program whose only contribution thus far has been to reproduce the police crime map that already exists while telling everyone that it's whitey's fault that shootings happen in black neighborhoods despite a half-decade of black leadership* in the city.

*and by black leadership, I mean close to 3/4 of senior government positions belong to black people here.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Yeah its not just right wing media that's been sounding the alarm. Plenty of former lefties like myself.

Please explain what you think CRT is and how it's not a threat.
Don’t try, let them believe it. Trust me here. In related news, I was entertained immensely this morning by a thread on Twitter in which someone was pointing out how inflation was killing American’s budgets right now, especially grocery bills and how that was hurting Democrats at the voting booth. Did the blue checks try to understand that or accept the advice? No, of course not 😂. The replies from libs were page after page of attempts to prove that things weren’t really more expensive nowadays. So Tuesday they try to convince you that CRT isn’t a real thing in schools. Today they try and teach you that your $400 trip to the grocery store for one week’s provisions is all in your imagination as well. Denial is at a whole new order of magnitude with these people. Let them continue to dwell in it. Don’t you DARE try and wake them up, at least not until after 2024

Don’t try, let them believe it. Trust me here. In related news, I was entertained immensely this morning by a thread on Twitter in which someone was pointing out how inflation was killing American’s budgets right now, especially grocery bills and how that was hurting Democrats at the voting booth. Did the blue checks try to understand that or accept the advice? No, of course not 😂. The replies from libs were page after page of attempts to prove that things weren’t really more expensive nowadays. So Tuesday they try to convince you that CRT isn’t a real thing in schools. Today they try and teach you that your $400 trip to the grocery store for one week’s provisions is all in your imagination as well. Denial is at a whole new order of magnitude with these people. Let them continue to dwell in it. Don’t you DARE try and wake them up, at least not until after 2024
You can't wake up someone that willingly ingests bottles of sleeping pills. The end result is the same too.

Your post proves my point.
If you think CRT is some threat........you have been brainwashed.....step away from right wing media
When parents are able to show and demonstrate their kids being told they are evil based on skin color and it's coming from the school system, that's a major problem that must be addressed. It's happening in VA and has been demonstrated many times by parents. Whether you want to call that CRT or something else is inconsequential

It's both sides, really. People on the left are trying to brand the opposition to CRT as racists and the right is losing their absolute minds over CRT trying to scare people.

I can't believe how cowardly the right is about confronting our racial history. It's no wonder some on the left are confused about their motives (some are not confused, they are just seizing the political opportunity). It makes little sense to anybody who can look at CRT with a minimal degree of fairness. We've heard people claim that Facebook and Twitter are modern book burners, but apparently banning everybody else's kids from engaging in a totally legitimate topic of discussion in K-12 is fine. Apparently, fear-mongering was a winning strategy, so I guess good for them because winning is everything.

Trying to make white people today feel guilty for the past isn’t confronting history when you choose that as the stopping point.

VN Store

Back