The Virginia Gov race

Pardon my cynicism, but I think all governmental or para-governmental organizations eventually become bureaucratically top heavy.

I agree. I believe the better metric for discussing our pupil spending would be direct contact dollars - books, computers, teachers, aids, etc - that leave out the administrative bloat that exists just to have more administrators. I believe we'd see a drastically different educational map under those circumstances.

I agree. I believe the better metric for discussing our pupil spending would be direct contact dollars - books, computers, teachers, aids, etc - that leave out the administrative bloat that exists just to have more administrators. I believe we'd see a drastically different educational map under those circumstances.
That would be very interesting to see. Is that particular stat available?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Of course I see her point. It's blatantly obvious.
You are rarely going to get the vote of someone you piss off.
It's a trade off.
Sometimes not saying the things that need to be said piss off the other group that are already on your side.

It's like when trump had such a hard time denouncing white nationalists. He didn't want to lose their vote, but when he realized he would lose even more votes by not speaking up, he spoke up.....being the man of character that he was.

so you didn't get her point

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
History from Various Perspectives.

it is not "history" to teach that you are currently born into oppression or privilege based upon your skin color.

that seems to be the biggest gripe of parents - they're kids are being told they are either victims or oppressors based on their inherent traits.

they are being told any number of things (capitalism, merit, etc) are currently examples of white supremacy (again, not history).

That would be very interesting to see. Is that particular stat available?

Only if you have access to system budget documents and do the math yourself. I did these calculations when I was at Jefferson county on the negotiations team.

It was interesting how our per pupil spending would go up despite no increases in classroom materials allotments, instructional aids, teacher compensation, etc. But there was $65k for "training" that kept appearing annually in the central office budget that every single year got rolled into the general fund for the next year. Just one example.

Only if you have access to system budget documents and do the math yourself. I did these calculations when I was at Jefferson county on the negotiations team.

It was interesting how our per pupil spending would go up despite no increases in classroom materials allotments, instructional aids, teacher compensation, etc. But there was $65k for "training" that kept appearing annually in the central office budget that every single year got rolled into the general fund for the next year. Just one example.
From memory, what was the difference between entire budget per pupil and direct contact dollars per pupil?

Well that’s certainly not going to roll of the tongue lol.

So much consternation over terminology on this, but little attempt to clarify imho.
I don't know that it needs to be assigned a name. Curriculum is always in fluid development. Just call it "revised".

Reactions: 85SugarVol
Oh, I did.
I believe it needs to be said loudly, clearly, and repeatedly that CRT is being used by the right as a racial dog whistle.
Big deal! If that was the strategy for Glenn Youngkin to get elected, then it clearly worked. Kind of like if you like your plan you can keep your plan?

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
it is not "history" to teach that you are currently born into oppression or privilege based upon your skin color.

that seems to be the biggest gripe of parents - they're kids are being told they are either victims or oppressors based on their inherent traits.

they are being told any number of things (capitalism, merit, etc) are currently examples of white supremacy (again, not history).
Milk is my favorite one.

That last part is a discussion that needs to be had, talking about where per pupil spending really goes. Education at all levels is becoming very top-heavy; increasing percentages of budgets are going to administrative positions that didn't exist fifteen or twenty years ago, even in smaller systems.

That's because of massive amounts of federal and state regulations - things that true conservatives want to eliminate.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back