Trump's Big Experiment: Throw 20K Fans Together, Eliminate Social Distancing, Make Masks Optional, Add One Pandemic. Track the Results...

And the Republigoons are taking this as some dunk on the libs by Trump. Talk about out of touch ....

Oh it was indeed a great retort to the idiot narrative you girls pushed on his health due to the two handed water drink. You throwing shade on it instead of just shrugging it off as campaign workings shows it struck a cord frankly. But of course the way you girls have screeched for four damn years over a long list of nothings this will just go on the already huge and still growing daily pile of your failed screechings 😂

[QUOTE"MontyPython, post: 18373326, member: 76988"]Trump blamed protesters for the arena not being more full and also said that because more testing means higher numbers of known coronavirus cases, his direction was to curtail it. “So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down,’” he said, as the audience cheered. A White House official said later than the president was kidding.

"We should have legislation that if somebody wants to burn the American flag and stomp on it, just burn it, they go to jail for one year,’’ Trump said.

Come on, man. Seriously. This. Is. Not. Russia.[/QUOTE]

Oh FFS, read the damn book already. You do realize he’s at his rally talking to his base supporters.🤦‍♀️

Trump on exaggeration: "The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration, and a very effective form of promotion."

I find it distasteful to burn an American flag. It's not something I would do.

I wouldn't burn a gay pride flag either. Don't have one and don't really care about the issue.

I think it's ridiculous you can burn an American flag and not be charged but burn the pride flag and be charged with a felony hate crime.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/20/he-burned-churchs-lgbtq-flag-got-years-they-responded-by-advocating-him/?outputType=amp
I wouldn't burn any flag either, I don't think it is an effective form of dissent because it just pisses people off.
I could see maybe theft and vandalism charges for this dude since he stole the flag from a church. But a hate crime seems excessive imo.

I find it distasteful to burn an American flag. It's not something I would do.

I wouldn't burn a gay pride flag either. Don't have one and don't really care about the issue.

I think it's ridiculous you can burn an American flag and not be charged but burn the pride flag and be charged with a felony hate crime.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/20/he-burned-churchs-lgbtq-flag-got-years-they-responded-by-advocating-him/?outputType=amp
As much as I hate saying this I always think back to a line in a movie about this kind of stuff. It was Michael Douglas in An American President. To paraphrase, America isn’t easy America is hard. You have to be willing to fight for another individuals right to reject what you hold dear.

I just went and looked it up. Even though it’s Hollywood and I really don’t think they walk this walk it’s a great piece of writing.

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.

I wouldn't burn any flag either, I don't think it is an effective form of dissent because it just pisses people off.
I could see maybe theft and vandalism charges for this dude since he stole the flag from a church. But a hate crime seems excessive imo.
Hate Crime = Orwellian thought crime.

Errr...., late me take my time foil hat off.

I think Hate Crime is an inheritant violation of free speech.

Someone could hate me for any reason. Heck, they might even assault me. The reason they assault me shouldn't affect their criminal sentencing. Whether it was over a disagreement in music or they didn't like my religion should be irrelevant. Assault was the crime not religious difference.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
As much as I hate saying this I always think back to a line in a movie about this kind of stuff. It was Michael Douglas in An American President. To paraphrase, America isn’t easy America is hard. You have to be willing to fight for another individuals right to reject what you hold dear.

I just went and looked it up. Even though it’s Hollywood and I really don’t think they walk this walk it’s a great piece of writing.
That movie is 25 years old this year.

Never heard of this movie, I'll have to check it out.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Not that it is any of your business, but those went to my grandmothers. Free speech is free speech, whether I personally like it or not has no bearing. That's how it works.

18 U.S. Code § 700 - Desecration of the flag of the United States; penalties

(1)
Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United Statesshall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.

Or the bump stock ban. Or the corporate bailouts. Or the unprecedented spending. Or the failing trade wars. Or the failure to repeal Obamacare. Or the failure to lock her up.
The biggest thing I have learned about Trump fans is they don’t care about deficit spending or civil liberties

I wonder how often people are charged with this? It isn't something you really every hear about.
I found this earlier when I wrote my post, but I don't know if it actually applies because I found something else that said in 1989 the Supreme Court upheld the ruling that you were able to burn the flag

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I found this earlier when I wrote my post, but I don't know if it actually applies because I found something else that said in 1989 the Supreme Court upheld the ruling that you were able to burn the flag
I looked it up, you are correct.
"The majority of the Court, according to Justice William Brennan, agreed with Johnson and held that flag burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the First Amendment. The majority noted that freedom of speech protects actions that society may find very offensive, but society's outrage alone is not justification for suppressing free speech."

Texas v. Johnson
Facts and Case Summary - Texas v. Johnson

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back