Turns out, slavery is good ... for the slaves

Wtf said that? I said they have prospered since the atrocities they went through. Why aren’t black people?

"Slaves developed skills while enslaved to benefit their families"

"Wonder if he would make that argument about Jews in concentration camps?"

"Well they've prospered since then"

That's a ridiculous response if you're being serious lol

Don't really see the point in including this in the curriculum. Feels like an attempt to qualify slavery as being not so bad because some slaves may have learned some trades while enslaved. Some slaves perhaps did, and went on to be successful, but if the tweets earlier expanding on the named individuals is correct, they apparently couldn't find very many actual cases of this if they had to use a bunch of people who weren't even slaves, or were slaves but were not taught that profession as part of their work duties.

I'm guessing the intent was to push back against CRT and rile folks up which is exactly what is happening.

Don't really see the point in including this in the curriculum. Feels like an attempt to qualify slavery as being not so bad because some slaves may have learned some trades while enslaved. Some slaves perhaps did, and went on to be successful, but if the tweets earlier expanding our the named individuals is correct, they apparently couldn't not find very many actual cases of this if they had to use a bunch of people who weren't even slaves, or were slaves but were not taught that profession as part of their work duties.

I'm guessing the intent was to push back against CRT and rile folks up which is exactly what is happening.
By two black men?

You didn't say it. The proposed curriculum says it. Can you cite a post of yours condemning it? No, of course you can't because you're loyal to your tribe
You’re new here. That’s obvious.

But you’ve missed some very clear indications *in this actual thread* on where I stand on this. I suggest you read again, closely, before tossing out false accusations.

Not really. All it says is that enslaved Africans were capable and adapted as they had to and made the best of it for themselves and their families. It says nothing at all about good or bad regarding slavery itself.

Reactions: AM64
Not really. All it says is that enslaved Africans were capable and adapted as they had to and made the best of it for themselves and their families. It says nothing at all about good or bad regarding slavery itself.

Just like Jews in concentration camps, right? Weird how no one wants that in the curriculum.

I dgaf about the Florida thing, it’s totally irrelevant. Why have Jews prospered and blacks haven’t?

At first blush, these lame defenses of the standard about personal benefit seem designed to offer up examples of what I was talking about -- that somehow one could excuse or at least minimize the immorality of slavery by rationalizing that "some good" came of it down the road. Of course, everyone recognizes that to be utter nonsense.

But on close inspection, this defense -- as pathetically weak as it is -- suggests to me that it was planned all along. To lure in the anti-woke MAGA right. To give the resentment class a shelter from all the things they fear from the black citizenry.

I am thus of the mind that this hilariously bad defense of the standard at issue is intentionally pathetic. Its a wink and a nudge to those who say "we are tired of hearing about slavery as an excuse for the plight of blacks." I mean, what more MAGA messaging could there ever be?
It was planned. At a meeting in Monroe County, Tennessee, April 1, 1975. The idea was that 38 years later, we'd get the governor of Florida to get two black guys to write a defense of slavery. There would be one single line out of 200 or so (my notes from the meeting are kind of faded, so the number was not exactly clear) about how some slaves, as a result of skills they were forced to acquire while in bondage to Republicans back in the 1800s, would use those skills to benefit themselves after slavery ended in 1865.

If that is not a strong defense of slavery, I don't know what is. And planned, because people in Tellico Plains were scared of blacks.
Sidenote: they were all wearing red hats. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Last edited:
It was quoted verbatim from the curriculum. If it needed additional context, then he should have been the one to add it in the text. At best, that is his own fault. That is a pathetic excuse.

Taken from the movie "Gaslight" from 1944 ... Gaslighting is manipulating a person/people over time by denying seemingly indisputable, established facts, in effort to cause them to question their own perception of reality involving events which they have either seen evidence of, or experienced themselves.

It is a very good movie by the way.

Trying to suggest that there were personal benefits to having been a slave ... would be gaslighting - if done on message for an extended period of time. The most notorious gaslighters in history have been holocaust deniers.
Absolutely it was quoted verbatim. Except for the middle section that was left out, but that part wasn't important! Or it would have been quoted verbatim!

Reactions: HammondB3Vol
Welcome to the new GOP and new right-wing----very upset that it's not 1950 anymore (or is it 1850?) and determined to take us back in time. I'm frankly rather tired of hearing about slavery constantly--it's a bit of black-activist racket--but at the same time trying to pretend that slavery was good for blacks is jumping the reality tracks. But the political right has been doing that in a variety of ways for a few years now, especially with its many constant reliance on laughably conspiracy theories and disinformation of all kinds.

@turbovol My man!!! You're late to the party.

Tell me about it brother! A whole document dedicated to the justification of slavery. Every. Single. Word. Can you believe it? I just cannot believe they would (a) be so open about it and (b) get a couple of black dudes to write it. Shameless. We can expect slavery to be re-instituted by the Florida legislature within the the next eights years or TEOTWAWKI due to climate disasters, whichever comes first.

VN Store

Back