UT is #2 seed in Midwest, play St Peters Thurs 9:20pm (TNT) in Charlotte

an honest question: why, exactly, does everyone get their panties in a wad about what ESPN does or doesn't allegedly think of us? who freakin' cares?
Exactly! It's like they live and die for getting some validation from ESPN. The problem with sports is the last game they saw you play has the strongest impression. We all know what happened last game. That takes away any chance of us being on anybody's Final Four radar.

I’m a self confessed dullard so take anything I say for the half grain of salt it’s worth, but I suspect Purdue doesn’t make it past the S16. They’ve relied heavily on Edey being officiated by the B10 as if he’s a piece of glass that could break in half at any moment. Suspect the officiating won’t favor him as much in the big dance.
If their games are called fairly, Purdue will be out quickly. But we don't know if they will be. Our game with them in Hawaii wasn't, at least as I saw it.

Last edited:
I’m leaving for Vegas Wednesday. Vols are -19.5 right now. That’s a lot of points. We win but will we cover?
Yes .... St. Peter's is one of the worst teams in the field. They really should have been a 16 seed. This is not the team that made the Elite 8 in 2022. Different coach, and only one player from that team is still with them.

Where are you staying?

So previewing this game and here's some information.

They are a small ball team 3 players on roster 6'9" or taller. Mouhamed Sow 6'9" 195lbs plays the most at 22.7 mpg and has started 25 of 32 games, Stephon Roberts 6'10" 230lbs has appeared in 31 games and plays 13.1 mpg the other 6'10" player is Oumar Diahame a senior that hasn't played any (walk-on or injured?)

Corey Washington is their workhorse, 6'6" 185lb Forward he leads the team in scoring 16.5 ppg, and rebounding 6.6 rpg. Could be the guy we see JJJ and Mashack guard.

Latrell Reid might be their most important player, 32 games 32 starts 32.8 mpg at the PG spot. Much like ZZ he does it all 2nd in PPG, 4th in RPG, 1st in APG he's 6'3" and 185lbs could see Santi or ZZ draw this assignment

Their other guards that play and see minutes
Roy Clarke 6'4" 210lbs
Marcus Randolph 6'5" 195lbs
Brent Bland 6'3" 205lbs
Armoni Zeigler 6'4" 185lbs

DK will probably see all 4 of them at some point the last guy that plays a lot is Michael Houge 6'7" 225lbs forward he seems a bit like their Awaka. Doesn't play a ton of minutes but is very active rebounding and offers some scoring...this could be a guy JJJ guards some too.

Saint Peter's as a team is a pretty good defense in points allowed, giving up just 63.4 ppg...but they accomplish it through pace more than elite defense. Holding teams to 51.3 FGA (2nd in the country).

They're a very bad offense, ranking in the 300s in FGs, FGAs, FG% and PPG. They are 2-9 when allowing 68 points or more.

This is a game where we really need Aidoo and Awaka to establish themselves inside the paint scoring and rebounding. Their top 4 players in defensive rating on the team are their "bigs" Roberts, Washington, Houge, and Sow... Washington and Houge may be tasked with defending DK, but I could also see them not wanting to tire Washington out as he's their #1 scorer.

In short I expect DK will find his in this matchup, Aidoo/Awaka/JP have got to score though 25+ this is a game where if we let them slow us down and limit our possessions we'll be in a dog fight that we shouldn't be. Gotta force the issue and get shots at the rim, they allow plenty of shots from outside.

When they lose it's almost always to teams that either hit their 3s or have held them to low scores. They averaged 60.7 ppg in their 13 losses (almost 5 points below their season average)
Nice analysis, but a major factor to me is they have ZERO quad 1 wins and ZERO quad 2 wins. Every statistic they’ve compiled is against a some weak competition. Only way we don’t curb stomp these guys would be for them to hit 15+ 3’s. Their stats show them to be very average from the perimeter against bad teams.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Yes .... St. Peter's is one of the worst teams in the field. They really should have been a 16 seed. This is not the team that made the Elite 8 in 2022. Different coach, and only one player from that team is still with them.

Where are you staying?
We’re at the Tropicana. I’m going with a buddy who’s a Michigan grad and fan. He won’t have much to cheer for (thank goodness)

Reactions: HeadVol77
an honest question: why, exactly, does everyone get their panties in a wad about what ESPN does or doesn't allegedly think of us? who freakin' cares?

This x 1000. ESPN or any other alleged "experts", for that matter.

I haven't watched any non-game football or basketball "analysis'" garbage on TV for the last 20+ years, and I feel more informed while avoiding the aggravation and saving a ton of brain cells in the meantime.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Nice analysis, but a major factor to me is they have ZERO quad 1 wins and ZERO quad 2 wins. Every statistic they’ve compiled is against a some weak competition. Only way we don’t curb stomp these guys would be for them to hit 15+ 3’s. Their stats show them to be very average from the perimeter against bad teams.
They'd have to shoot about 45 3s to hit that many. I'd like our chances

I think their team from 2yrs ago is what too many are looking at. This isn't a very good team

We choked away a No.1 seed, probably, and now have to go through Purdue to get to the Final Four rather
than Arizona, which would have been a far better matchup. Nothing to be done about it now, but rather sux
to have been on the cusp and let it slip away.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
A lot of Big East fans are pissed that Seton Hall and Providence got left out while 6 Mountain West teams are in the Dance.
That does seem absurd. A lot of pundits were talking up the Mountain West, but they mostly got low seeds and I doubt
that they make waves in the tourney. UVA is lucky to be in a play-in--the most boring team in college basketball. The Cavs have caught
a lot of flack today in NCAA discussions.

This x 1000. ESPN or any other alleged "experts", for that matter.

I haven't watched any non-game football or basketball "analysis'" garbage on TV for the last 20+ years, and I feel more informed while avoiding the aggravation and saving a ton of brain cells in the meantime.
ESPN'S analysts who were former players are pretty decent

Reactions: knoxvol52
ESPN'S analysts who were former players are pretty decent

I'm very happy to say that I wouldn't know and couldn't care less. Not watching any of that garbage or listening to sports talk (or any talk) radio for some 20 years now has probably done more to maintain my interest and passion in sports than anything else. It's probably why I also tune out the constant hot-take negativity on VolNation after every single loss.

VN Store

Back