UT is #2 seed in Midwest, play St Peters Thurs 9:20pm (TNT) in Charlotte

We are going to smack the crap out of St. Peters like we did Longwood 2 years ago. Just hope our offense shows up for the next game unlike that year.
Watched some highlights from Saint Peters playing Rutgers earlier this season... Rutgers pretty much passed it in to their big most possessions and dominated the game from the inside.

Playing through Aidoo and/or Awaka should overwhelm them. Part of me is critical of our outside shooting lately... might make more sense to initiate our offense in the paint.
Aidoo will need to play physical and look to score and rebound.

Saint Peters also has some quick guards that can shoot, especially from 3, and can drive to the basket.
Our defense from ZZ, and Vescovi has to be on point. I can see Vescovi getting into foul trouble early if he tries to gamble or hand-check too much.

They seem like a team that if you keep the score close, they'll find a way to make big shots and take the lead late... which is how they made it through the MAAC tournament past Fairfield and Quinnipiac.

I hope Auburn doesn’t get past game 1.

Yale could surprise them. I don't think they will but it is possible.

I think Tennessee gets by Saint Peters due to their size and physicality. Not sure about 2nd round game as they have 3 different potential opponents.

It is hard to fill confident on a lot of the matchups this year. They are a lot of evenly matched teams going head to head, especially in 2nd/3rd round games.

Burns lit us up. I know UK lit up the 3pt line vs us, but I was very impressed w their rim protection v us. Burns will face some serious length and athleticism that we dont have.

Burns won’t be able to run & up down the court without getting winded against Kentucky.

Auburn won the conference tourney which has become completely irrelevant…..
Teams that did well in it didn’t benefit from their wins (unless they weren’t going to make it without the auto bid), but performance in conference you’re net did matter for 1 team that supposedly was dropped a seed due to their flop in their tournament. That’s the part that doesn’t make sense to me. However, I’m fine with how it shook out.

So previewing this game and here's some information.

They are a small ball team 3 players on roster 6'9" or taller. Mouhamed Sow 6'9" 195lbs plays the most at 22.7 mpg and has started 25 of 32 games, Stephon Roberts 6'10" 230lbs has appeared in 31 games and plays 13.1 mpg the other 6'10" player is Oumar Diahame a senior that hasn't played any (walk-on or injured?)

Corey Washington is their workhorse, 6'6" 185lb Forward he leads the team in scoring 16.5 ppg, and rebounding 6.6 rpg. Could be the guy we see JJJ and Mashack guard.

Latrell Reid might be their most important player, 32 games 32 starts 32.8 mpg at the PG spot. Much like ZZ he does it all 2nd in PPG, 4th in RPG, 1st in APG he's 6'3" and 185lbs could see Santi or ZZ draw this assignment

Their other guards that play and see minutes
Roy Clarke 6'4" 210lbs
Marcus Randolph 6'5" 195lbs
Brent Bland 6'3" 205lbs
Armoni Zeigler 6'4" 185lbs

DK will probably see all 4 of them at some point the last guy that plays a lot is Michael Houge 6'7" 225lbs forward he seems a bit like their Awaka. Doesn't play a ton of minutes but is very active rebounding and offers some scoring...this could be a guy JJJ guards some too.

Saint Peter's as a team is a pretty good defense in points allowed, giving up just 63.4 ppg...but they accomplish it through pace more than elite defense. Holding teams to 51.3 FGA (2nd in the country).

They're a very bad offense, ranking in the 300s in FGs, FGAs, FG% and PPG. They are 2-9 when allowing 68 points or more.

This is a game where we really need Aidoo and Awaka to establish themselves inside the paint scoring and rebounding. Their top 4 players in defensive rating on the team are their "bigs" Roberts, Washington, Houge, and Sow... Washington and Houge may be tasked with defending DK, but I could also see them not wanting to tire Washington out as he's their #1 scorer.

In short I expect DK will find his in this matchup, Aidoo/Awaka/JP have got to score though 25+ this is a game where if we let them slow us down and limit our possessions we'll be in a dog fight that we shouldn't be. Gotta force the issue and get shots at the rim, they allow plenty of shots from outside.

When they lose it's almost always to teams that either hit their 3s or have held them to low scores. They averaged 60.7 ppg in their 13 losses (almost 5 points below their season average)

One game at a time…. But, Perdue is the #1 seed in Tennessee’s Region of the NCAA tournament. I am SO Sick of that Big Goon, Edey! — They have beaten us 3 times in the last 2 years & (if we end up playing them again) I would sure like to knock them out!!!!!

One game at a time…. But, Perdue is the #1 seed in Tennessee’s Region of the NCAA tournament. I am SO Sick of that Big Goon, Edey! — They have beaten us 3 times in the last 2 years & (if we end up playing them again) I would sure like to knock them out!!!!!
Have you seen the way they treat chickens?

If only they would enforce the 3 second rule Edey would not be so effective. Man he camps out in that lane.

VN Store

Back