Vaccine or not?

Doc, I am of the opinion based on what I have researched that having COVID provides more protection than the vaccine does - I am still very pro-vax. There are fewer cases of re-infection than breakthrough infection form a vaxxed person who has never had COVID. I guess the million dollar question is how long natural immunity lasts. Do you share this opinion?
I do. There have been studies demonstrating a boost in antibody titers when a recovered person receives a single vaccine, but I have not seen any report of clinical relevancy (reinfection rate in those who received a vaccine after recovery vs those who have not).

Scientifically, it would be expected that naturally-acquired immunity should provide broader coverage, as the immune system can target multiple proteins. The duration of protection is still a question, but recent studies have suggested that immunity persists for at least 9-12 months, and possibly years.

Pfizer is reporting that after analyzing 44,000 cases of patients who had had both shots, that the efficacy is at 91%. Like I said in another post, I’ll take my chances with the vaccine

Doc, I am of the opinion based on what I have researched that having COVID provides more protection than the vaccine does - I am still very pro-vax. There are fewer cases of re-infection than breakthrough infection form a vaxxed person who has never had COVID. I guess the million dollar question is how long natural immunity lasts. Do you share this opinion?

Make these two comments make sense. Can a person choose not to get the vax and instead build up a natural immunity by getting COVID instead? Why is that decision treated with so much disdain?

Make these two comments make sense. Can a person choose not to get the vax and instead build up a natural immunity by getting COVID instead? Why is that decision treated with so much disdain?
Because acquiring the virus and becoming yet another vector to spread infection isn’t the same as getting the vaccine without spreading the virus? Not to mention possible long term effects of the infection…

Reactions: AM64
Because it goes against the narrative.

As many advocated last year, it's looking quite possible that not locking down, shuttering schools, etc while protecting the elderly/at-risk MIGHT have allowed us to build enough protection to prevent this current spread of variant from occurring.

Because acquiring the virus and becoming yet another vector to spread infection isn’t the same as getting the vaccine without spreading the virus? Not to mention possible long term effects of the infection…
Its already been reported that even the vaccinated can spread the virus. That was the entire reasoning behind some of the scrambling that has been going on the last 48 hours.

But those long term effects only apply to me, not you are anyone else. Its a trade off that most are willing to make. I would rather take a chance with COVID and suffer those consequences if it means building up natural immunity.

But those long term effects only apply to me, not you are anyone else. Its a trade off that most are willing to make. I would rather take a chance with COVID and suffer those consequences if it means building up natural immunity.
My wife just put two middle-aged, otherwise healthy people in body bags today who thought the same thing.

Reactions: AM64
And there are breakthrough case that I'm sure also shared the same fate.

Let me live or die on my own terms.

That’s easy to say when you don’t have to respond to their pleas of “please don’t let me die, I’ll never mistrust medical professionals again”

You can choose to not get the vaccine - it’s still your choice. Natural immunity is better But no one knows how long natural immunity lasts. It’s not talked about as much as a way to verify health status because I guess it’s harder to prove you’ve had COVID if you never were treated for it. Vax status much easier to verify.

As to your earlier point, there’s no conflict with my statements. I’ll take the efficacy of the vaccine over the small and unknown long term risk that the vax might carry. That said, natural immunity carries more protection just based on re-infection rates vs breakthrough rates. But the vax is absolutely a smart choice for anyone who hasn’t had COVID

Why does that matter? You acted as if your wife represented the opinion of everyone in healthcare. My wife's in healthcare, she doesn't want to take the vaccine. Why can't people just let others have a different opinion without browbeating them?
No I didn’t. Did I say anything about her opinion? No, I just told you about the day she had. Relax cletus.

VN Store

Back