Vaccine or not?

The risk was ALWAYS primarily born by smokers and their families. Banning smoking indoors has had some effect but it is fact that smoking caused diseases kill way more each year than Covid ever will and it could easily be banned and that number would drop precipitously. However, you don't even see that mentioned.

I've never used tobacco, and I warn my children against its dangers, so, if you want a ban imposed on its use, you'll encounter no strong opposition from me (though I would not actively support such a ban). There's an important distinction, however, -- one intuitive, I think, to most Americans -- between risky behavior that endangers only the one who elects to engage in it and risky behavior that endangers others who have not agreed to assume its risks. There's also a very significant distinction between that which threatens to kill within days or weeks and that which threatens to kill over a period of decades.

Reactions: AM64
I've never used tobacco, and I warn my children against its dangers, so, if you want a ban imposed on its use, you'll encounter no strong opposition from me (though I would not actively support such a ban). There's an important distinction, however, -- one intuitive, I think, to most Americans -- between risky behavior that endangers only the one who elects to engage in it and risky behavior that endangers others who have not agreed to assume its risks. There's also a very significant distinction between that which threatens to kill within days or weeks and that which threatens to kill over a period of decades.

Going out in society you already are accepting risks.

Would this person take an antibiotic?

Numbers 21:8
The LORD said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.”

I believe the Great Physician is still at work in this world, guiding the heads and hands of researchers and doctors.

Sorry you don't get to pick and choose everything you are exposed to. You accept a basic level of risk every time you leave your house.

The question is what that "basic level of risk" should be, and that's absolutely a question on which I as an American citizen have a right to opine. We have (and from the beginning have had) all sorts of laws that condition what we are likely to encounter when we "go out in society."

Reactions: AM64
Possibly. But there is no way you are going to convince me that these cloth or paper coverings are anything more than virtue signaling devices.

And you said the key thing... "when worn and handled correctly".

I get that, and I fault the government agencies and health care in general for that. There's been very little good guidance, and they get a lot of real anger from me because when stuff was in short supply they couldn't produce stocks of protective gear - seems like Civil Defense back in the old days was a lot better prepared than the three letter clowns (four for FEMA - they can't even manage to keep it at three). I saw Fauci with a mask on a news clip - cheap cloth mask (likely reused) and under his nose until he pulled it up. Sure doesn't speak toward educating a public who has never had anything resembling CBR training. If you wear a mask, successfully trap stuff on the surface, and then dump it up your nose, you are probably as well off without a mask in the first place.

So now Moderna is saying they need a booster.

This never going to end.

You know if you live long enough, a lot of stuff makes sense. If you look at covid while remembering the old "For want of a nail ... the battle was lost" and you think that often battles were won or lost simply by having a critical mass in the right place, then you can visualize the covid battle. It was established from a very tiny beachhead because there was no defensive mechanism in place, we gained strength against it, and it mutated where there was little defense in India, and the new variant migrated ... almost like a new disease following a path similar to the first round. So in that respect, you may be very right this is going to continue. The weird thing is that if we were facing an invasion by let's say China, we'd unite to fight like we've always done (I think - hard to say with newer generations); but against an invisible enemy not carrying weapons we're disorganized and half the people are claiming a government plot to "own" us.

The question is what that "basic level of risk" should be, and that's absolutely a question on which I as an American citizen have a right to opine. We have (and from the beginning have had) all sorts of laws that condition what we are likely to encounter when we "go out in society."

It's almost scary reading thoughts about not doing something because the "government says so" and wondering how the same people will respond to a stop sign or traffic signal.

It is concerning how corporations, gov and education system are working in unison to force the vaccine. Why did they not push to enforce vaccines with other flu viruses? Those vaccines have at least been tested and have more of a long term study.

Who's being forced?

Reactions: MAD
Any and all risks? I absolutely do not, and neither do you.

No. You do. you have very little control over what goes on around you in public. An individual is quite small by comparison than what exists and happens all around. Death gives no notice. You can't even control a stroke or sudden heart attack in your own home. You can only be ready to go. Cause you will go.

Reactions: Volaholic320
So now Moderna is saying they need a booster.

This never going to end.
Come on Ras, the need for boosters was discussed as a probability before the first vaccine was ever rolled out. I'm pretty sure we're closer to the beginning of this pandemic than the end. Maybe by years.

It's almost scary reading thoughts about not doing something because the "government says so" and wondering how the same people will respond to a stop sign or traffic signal.

In defense of those people, stops signs and traffic signals make sense. And the light doesn't lie. If it's red on your side, it's green on the adjacent side. The Gov....Well that's a long story...

VN Store

Back