Vaccine or not?

Though it's likely impractical in some industries (medicine springs immediately to mind), I would like to think that the bulk of employers could find ways to accommodate the needs both of those employees who are uncomfortable taking one of the vaccines (perhaps by requiring them to wear a suitable mask conscientiously and to practice social distancing conscientiously while at work) and of those employees who, due to having vulnerable family members or vulnerabilities of their own, must take every precaution to avoid contracting covid (perhaps by arranging for them to perform their duties at a sufficient remove from those who may unknowingly be carrying the virus). I don't want to see those who have a sincere concern about receiving the vaccine lose their jobs, but neither do I want those who need to take special precautions for their families or themselves to carry the burden imposed by those who refuse to participate in reasonable mitigation measures.

Last edited:
In most cases it's not a good faith belief but repeating derp from Facebook.

What you've written corresponds to my experience, but I think it important to acknowledge the goodwill of those (however few they may be) who have thoughtful (if ultimately misguided) concerns.

Last edited:
Because nobody ever changed their religion ever, right? I guess you're born with it.

Fair point, but if you worship at the same place pre and post COVID and you had no issue with a flu shot earlier this year....

I will suspect most large denominations will come out in favor or will remain silent on vaccinations.

Agree this is a very slippery slope. I suspect you will see a lot more dishonesty than those that actually had a shift in their religious affiliation in thr past 18 months. It will really become a slippery slope since there are Christian churches now that are marketing themselves as anti-vax.

My wife works for a company that does clinical trials. Her company is currently doing a study with the hopes that it will pass FDA. This is a covid vaccine that is currently being given to us right now. She has managed the cases of dozens of trials in the past. She has never seen the cart put before the horse as in this instance.

For the record I'm not anti-vax, I am skeptical but have had my first shot, for my wife's sake, she is high risk both for covid and for vaccine reaction. She is going to a local hospital to get her first shot Monday, hopefully everything goes smooth!

Last edited:
Fair point, but if you worship at the same place pre and post COVID and you had no issue with a flu shot earlier this year....

I will suspect most large denominations will come out in favor or will remain silent on vaccinations.

Agree this is a very slippery slope. I suspect you will see a lot more dishonesty than those that actually had a shift in their religious affiliation in thr past 18 months.
I've never had a flu shot, but I've certainly had shots before. I don't think a denomination has to come out for or against vaccines. An individual can have religious beliefs different from the denomination. Of course this will either be decided by courts or employers will back off and allow religious restrictions.

I've never had a flu shot, but I've certainly had shots before. I don't think a denomination has to come out for or against vaccines. An individual can have religious beliefs different from the denomination. Of course this will either be decided by courts or employers will back off and allow religious restrictions.

I believe employers should absolutely allow valid religious exemptions based upon core values of a particular religion. Problem is going to be filtering through the legitimate exemptions and those that are being claimed just to keep a job.

The results from the trial of nearly 480,000 healthcare workers mark the first real world test of J&J’s single-dose vaccine against the Delta variant and support a small laboratory study the company released last month showing the single-dose vaccine offers good protection against the highly contagious strain.

The South African study, known as Sisonke, found that the J&J vaccine has an efficacy of up to 71% against hospitalization from the Delta variant, 67% against hospitalization from the Beta variant and up to 96% against death, according to a presentation of the results Friday. The data hasn’t yet been peer reviewed or published in a scientific journal.”

Not peer reviewed yet but a trial of 480,000 health care workers.

Reactions: AM64 and ENGRVOL

The results from the trial of nearly 480,000 healthcare workers mark the first real world test of J&J’s single-dose vaccine against the Delta variant and support a small laboratory study the company released last month showing the single-dose vaccine offers good protection against the highly contagious strain.

The South African study, known as Sisonke, found that the J&J vaccine has an efficacy of up to 71% against hospitalization from the Delta variant, 67% against hospitalization from the Beta variant and up to 96% against death, according to a presentation of the results Friday. The data hasn’t yet been peer reviewed or published in a scientific journal.”

Not peer reviewed yet but a trial of 480,000 health care workers.

Is J&J a mRNA?

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Good news about vaccine efficacy against severe disease in Tennessee this week. It appears vaccines continue to hold their own against severe disease. The health department recent covid critical indicator report shows that in the past week covid hospitalizations in Tennessee has gone from 1021 last week to 1589 currently in the hospital as of 05 Aug for a difference of 568.
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/h...novel-coronavirus/CriticalIndicatorReport.pdf
Of course many more have been hospitalized this past week as people get discharged after a few days in the hospital and unfortunately pass away but a net total of 568 have been added to hospitals as of Thursday. During that time an additional 54 vaccinated individuals have been hospitalized. Just assuming that only 568 people were admitted last week this gives a vaccine efficacy against severe disease at about 84% conservatively for this week. Likely the actual number is well above 90% but can't find the number of new cases of hospitalized patients for the past week in this report. If we didn't have vaccines then we would be looking at a minimum of 350 more people hospitalized just this week alone in the state.
What is concerning is that our percentage of inpatients who require ICU care seem to be equivalent to last winter's high numbers which raises suspicion that this variant is just as dangerous if not more than previous variants we have dealt with. Hard to say given that the majority of those high risk are now vaccinated.
Image 8-8-21 at 9.40 AM.jpg

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Unless I’m missing it, there still doesn’t seem to be any data on the effectiveness of acquired immunity + vaccination. Are all of these breakthrough cases first-time infections?

Reactions: AM64
I believe employers should absolutely allow valid religious exemptions based upon core values of a particular religion. Problem is going to be filtering through the legitimate exemptions and those that are being claimed just to keep a job.
Shouldn’t be a problem at all if the Constitution is followed. Quite easy actually. The government can steer clear of stepping in on someone’s religious beliefs.

VN Store

Back