Vaccine or not?

I openly admit that I’m biased in this conversation as I’ve lost 3 people I know to Covid in the last 6 weeks. One should have had natural immunity and the other 2 were unvaccinated.
I support everyone’s right to make their own decisions. I’m quite fond of a lot of you people. Y’all are my imaginary friends. I wish nothing but the best for all of y’all.
Even you @luthervol
Get Vaccinated; you're an idiot if you don't.

Has there been any thought about using the J&J vaccine as a follow on or "booster" sometime down the road after the Pfizer or Moderna vaccinations? Seems like an interesting concept, but not really knowing how things work maybe all wrong, too.
Hard to say what effect that would have. The adenovirus vector carries the spike protein, only, so it would have the same potential issue if there is significant mutation.

Reactions: AM64
Think about your post for a second and see if you can figure out how asinine it is.

I know your point, hog; but there's another side to his comment. Suppose his vaccine didn't protect him from smallpox, etc, but the same vaccine kept others well and he never came in contact with someone who had smallpox - same with the other diseases. Prevention can work in multiple ways. I didn't get polio before there was a vaccine, and I didn't get it later - maybe the pre-vaccine days were just luck - lots of maybes when you deal with chance. Of course, the military filled brats full of stuff (I even had the pre-Salk gamma globulin in the early 50s); diseases may look at people like me and decide we aren't really human enough to waste their time on.

I've never used tobacco, and I warn my children against its dangers, so, if you want a ban imposed on its use, you'll encounter no strong opposition from me (though I would not actively support such a ban). There's an important distinction, however, -- one intuitive, I think, to most Americans -- between risky behavior that endangers only the one who elects to engage in it and risky behavior that endangers others who have not agreed to assume its risks. There's also a very significant distinction between that which threatens to kill within days or weeks and that which threatens to kill over a period of decades.
Those people concerned can get the vaccine, wear a N95 mask, social distance, stay home, avoid crowds, and so on. Then they aren’t endangered.

The results from the trial of nearly 480,000 healthcare workers mark the first real world test of J&J’s single-dose vaccine against the Delta variant and support a small laboratory study the company released last month showing the single-dose vaccine offers good protection against the highly contagious strain.

The South African study, known as Sisonke, found that the J&J vaccine has an efficacy of up to 71% against hospitalization from the Delta variant, 67% against hospitalization from the Beta variant and up to 96% against death, according to a presentation of the results Friday. The data hasn’t yet been peer reviewed or published in a scientific journal.”

Not peer reviewed yet but a trial of 480,000 health care workers.
Against hospitalization?….. am I missing something?….96% against death? Are these numbers any better than no vaccine at all?

Just as no one can ever factually claim a seat belt saved their life...............but still

I got a nasty neck rash from my seatbelt once when being rear-ended at a red light. If I hadn't been wearing the seatbelt, I wouldn't have had to deal with the burning, tender broken skin for a week or so.

They should have studied seatbelts more before putting them in cars.

there are 4.3 million dead from this thing world wide.
If you believe those numbers are inflated there’s another way to look at it.
If you take an average of deaths for the last 10 years before Covid then coincidentally we are 3.75 million deaths above where we should be.
So 3.75 million unnecessary deaths best case.
I get that it’s a small number percentage wise unless you’re in the 3.75 million
A lot of hyperbole there actually. Let's go with the word 'unnecessary'. That would imply 'preventable' How do you KNOW that they were? How many deaths at Normandy were preventable, therefore how many were unnecessary? I guess they all were both preventable and unnecessary if you don't think speaking German and suffering under a murderous dictator was a bad thing. Yeah maybe a bit far afield, but really no one knows how many could have been prevented or even HOW they could have been prevented. Sometimes **** happens that is out of our control.

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
I got a nasty neck rash from my seatbelt once when being rear-ended at a red light. If I hadn't been wearing the seatbelt, I wouldn't have had to deal with the burning, tender broken skin for a week or so.

Cars would be safer I’d they started putting in 5 point restraints.

If you would have gone through the windshield you wouldnt have had an issue with seatbelt burn.

Was at a wedding this weekend and everyone I knew to be vaccinated was on the dance floor without a care in the world. Everyone I knew to be unvaccinated stood away from the crowd and generally worried about being around people. I'm sure some unvaccinated folks mingled in the crowd, but they'll be dead in 2 weeks so hopefully they had fun.

Sorry for your losses. I had a healthy friend in their early 60's die in March.
Thanks.
It sucks. Especially the buddy who already had Covid once. In his situation I would probably not have vaccinated either. Not that it would have saved his life. But his family is left in the horrible position of second guessing.

Sure the courts will decide it. Anybody can file a lawsuit, doesn't mean they have a chance at winnning. "Reasonable accommodation" isn't something I made up, it's already the law.

In this hypo, employer did not make a policy that singles employee out, employer made a blanket policy and employee is asking to be treated differently than everyone else because of employee's religion. Employee doesn't get a free pass, just a reasonable accommodation.
I'll give you a real world example of reasonable accommodation. I work with someone of Muslim faith. They are allowed prayer time even when their urgent attention is needed during work hours.
The courts may decide to allow policies that single individuals who make decisions based on religion or they may not. We will see.

There is no way to know how sick someone would get.
But it's incredibly easy to determine that the vaccine makes them less sick. That was always the point.
How sick he felt with the vax, times ten....data....like with crash tests.

A lot of hyperbole there actually. Let's go with the word 'unnecessary'. That would imply 'preventable' How do you KNOW that they were? How many deaths at Normandy were preventable, therefore how many were unnecessary? I guess they all were both preventable and unnecessary if you don't think speaking German and suffering under a murderous dictator was a bad thing. Yeah maybe a bit far afield, but really no one knows how many could have been prevented or even HOW they could have been prevented. Sometimes **** happens that is out of our control.
Context is important.
The point I responded too matters in understanding my answer

That’s a whole lot of dead if nobody (edit: I believe he said majority instead of nobody) is getting that sick.

VN Store

Back