Vaccine or not?

Not that you'll care, but that's not what he's saying at all . . . at least, not in the way you think.

There's a clear link between mortality rate and birth rate and the idea is that if you can reduce mortality, you actually lower the birth rate which will in turn curb population growth which will in turn reduce CO2 emissions . . . .

Sounds pretty logical to me. Decrease population by less people dying. Makes perfectly good sense

Sounds pretty logical to me. Decrease population by less people dying. Makes perfectly good sense
Makes perfect sense. As public health improves, birth rate drops. It’s why there are out of control birth rates in 3rd world countries but not here.

Tourists that brought it with them, not tourists who picked it up in St. Maarten.

COVID-19 vaccines for Sint Maarten

Looks like their vaccination (fully vaccinated) rate is around 55%.

Assuming OP’s request for an explanation is legitimate, I’ll give it an honest try:

We know that breakthrough infection occurs but that it is less likely than infection among unvaccinated people who have never had covid.
We have strong evidence that breakthrough infections result in hospitalization and death at a much lower rate.
We have emerging evidence that breakthrough infections are less transmissible, but are still contagious.

Given these factors, it is not surprising that allowing vaccinated visitors into a community with no covid would result in the introduction of COVID. It’s also not a situation that supports any persuasive argument against vaccination, in my opinion.

The CDC could perhaps gain some credibility by amending these travel advisories to contain some context or nuance. I’m not sure why I, as a 30-something vaccinated person, would need to avoid travel to St. Maarten because of the outbreak there. Are we advising this to help protect the vaccinated people of St. Maarten? Is it because of the risk of hospitalization due to breakthrough infection? Is it because their hospital infrastructure is strained and risks from non-covid related injury or illness are now more substantial? Or is it just because CDC guidance has a super low risk tolerance threshold?

Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, including COVID-19 ...

Last edited:
Not that you'll care, but that's not what he's saying at all . . . at least, not in the way you think.

There's a clear link between mortality rate and birth rate and the idea is that if you can reduce mortality, you actually lower the birth rate which will in turn curb population growth which will in turn reduce CO2 emissions . . . .
Thank you

Come on. You can’t post an ugly trend line but cut off the Y-axis that shows the scale. The graph looks ominous, but the 7 day average is only 30. I don’t think the numbers are high enough to really take much away. That’s basically just 1 or 2 breakthrough infections making it onto the island and infecting a few people.
I fit what I could in the shot. Well the island is low population so the trend will show a huge spike. But to your point, it's no different than County health departments using the "We're up 100% from yesterday in cases" and then you look and cases went from one to two.

Lets say it's just 30 and easy to just blow off like you did. Why the level 4 warning from the State department and CDC? Average 30 cases a day justifies that?

Screenshot_20210825-131852_Chrome.jpg

I believe you're at a well known ER or at least hospital. Is the ER as full and behind 18 hours like I heard it was a week ago?

UT Med is calling in the TN National Guard. Most ICU units in East TN are slammed. Patiently waiting for the Knox Co School Board Covid Dashboard to update for the day. It more than doubled active cases yesterday.

It would be in everyone's best interest to not get sick or injured in Knoxville right now.

UT Med is calling in the TN National Guard. Most ICU units in East TN are slammed. Patiently waiting for the Knox Co School Board Covid Dashboard to update for the day. It more than doubled active cases yesterday.

It would be in everyone's best interest to not get sick or injured in Knoxville right now.
The national guard was requested to save $ for staffing shortages

240410148_10225277976992369_3130742991699704448_n.jpg

Just found out my dad's ex wife has passed away from covid. They are just recently (this year) separated. Hits home. Get your shots, please.

See my edit above. He's talking about vaccines in the context of enhancing public health in order to lower the birth rate. The TED talk was actually a strategy to reduce carbon emissions.
I'm trying to mentally make the connection between vaccines (which are supposed to save lives) and lowering the birth rate.

I gotta watch this TedTalk to get how he manages to pull this off...

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'm trying to mentally make the connection between vaccines (which are supposed to save lives) and lowering the birth rate.

The idea is people will have fewer kids if their kids don't die or have a high chance of dying. Pretty simple really.

In the TED talk where that was clipped from, he throws in vaccines at the end of a list of things under the umbrella of elevating public health. As mortality and overall public health increases, birth rate actually decreases. So instead of having 7 kids, people will only have 2 or 3 and slow the growth which generally is occurring most in the poorest countries.

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss.

No thanks. The shot is too much roll of the dice.
We'll agree to disagree. Personally, I think getting covid is too much a roll of the dice. Covid has killed going on 700k in the US. The vaccine has killed almost no one and caused treatable heart inflammation in some. Seems to me the choice is obvious.

VN Store

Back