Vols Fall Practice #9

I don't think it's going to happen either but who among us saw Hooker replacing Milton and executing like he did? Few, but who should've seen it?

There was little buzz around Hendon. Some here even thought Bailey should be QB2. Next thing you know, Hooker is looking like Heisman candidate.

Should that kind of talent sneak up on a coach?
I get your point but reading reports and listening to podcasts, all have said Nico has been outstanding since spring. One bad practice doesn't change that narrative

Only feasible way Gaston is QB1 is if Nico gets injured. Although if this fairy tale that's roaming in this thread comes true without injury. Individuals want have to worry about Nico, he didn't come here to stand on sideline for 2 years, Nico be gone.

I get your point but reading reports and listening to podcasts, all have said Nico has been outstanding since spring. One bad practice doesn't change that narrative
I like Nico a lot. I like how quickly he gets set and releases. At the next level, I think Nico could be really, really special. I'm hoping he's also ready for the challenges the college level brings.

That said, I liked Hooker as "a backup who will probably be a coach some day," just like I see Gaston Moore now.

I'm not opposed to a "deja vu" great season if Gaston turns out to take the QB1 from Nico. Winning is what matters. But it would make me go....... Hmmm.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Maybe the worst we've seen Nico Iamaleava all fall. Obviously nothing to worry about

Is it tho?

Start? Game 1, or even by game 3? No. Mostly due to two things. Team politics. Josh's faith and loyalty in Nico. But then reality will exhibit itself. Yeah, my take is contrary to everybody's else's here. But the cracked crystal ball whispered something about system experience, and Hooker-Milton. Now, Nathan, the dog didn't comment, and I wonder why. They usually agree with each other.

Gaston is a an awesome team mate. That being said he has a zero and I mean a zero chance to take any snaps away from Nico. The difference between the two may be the biggest gap in history of a starter and backup lol

Tennessee will practice again Monday morning — secondary coach Willie Martinez and some of his defensive backs will be made available afterward — and then take Tuesday off before getting back to work Wednesday morning to prepare for a Thursday morning scrimmage at Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Huh. Unless Nico gets hurt he will start every single game. And that’s a guarantee. This is a crazy take
Don’t underestimate Merklinger. As I recall, he had a really good Spring and has been on target this Fall. He is a playmaker and could be, very valuable if something was to happen to Nico. He has all the tools and just needs reps.

I still think Gaston is going to sneak up on the 8 Million Dollar Man.
I
I was ignored back on practice #1 when I said Moore looks better than Nico. He just does. Nico might have the IT factor in games with scrambling and just straight up getting it done. I dont know. What I do know is if you watch these practices without rose colored glasses on Nico you will see Moore passes the eye test. His foot work is better, his throws look crisper, and he is hitting receivers without them turning back for the ball. All I’m saying is what I’ve seen. lol. People get super mad because they want Nico to be the savior. They also use the “coach had them behind such and such” excuse when we have seen time and again that doesn’t mean anything. Think Hooker, Kamara, even Wright recently.
lol are u Gaston’s dad ? Wow the level of delusion in this one is wow strong

Reactions: FBtime
The media gets to watch 10 min of practice and people come to these conclusions 😂😂😂Moore also had the only turnover of the scrimmage last Friday. Nico is a baller and is going to have a great year. He is WAYYYYY better than Moore

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
I have never, ever, claimed to be stable, cause even I think I'm crazy. Just the same, The cracked crystal ball insists that Gaston is actually is more system experienced, throws better, is less sackable, and at this point, overall better suited to Heup-ball than Nico. We can, and will win with Nicky, but there will be games where we are better off with the Gas man. The ball has spoken.

View attachment 666360
From the dude that watched two hours of Spring Orange and White game thinking he was watching Friday scrimmage.

Next!

I don't think it's going to happen either but who among us saw Hooker replacing Milton and executing like he did? Few, but who should've seen it?

There was little buzz around Hendon. Some here even thought Bailey should be QB2. Next thing you know, Hooker is looking like Heisman candidate.

Should that kind of talent sneak up on a coach?
Laying out yer narrative in fine Cowherd/Basillio fashion. Gonna die on that “Fahr somebody!” hill?

Last edited:
Reactions: WillisWG
Laying out yer narrative in fine Cowherd/Basillio fashion. Gonna die on that “Fahr somebody!” hill?
Not at all. If you didn't scratch your head at Heupel not seeing that Hendon Hooker obviously ran his system better than Joe Milton, that's fine.

I'm a big fan of both guys AND a big fan of Heupel's tempo offense. It's not great for every QB and I think Heupel has the best look at his QBs, the best grasp of his system, etc.

We all saw Joe struggle with the system. That's not a swipe at Joe's talent, Peyton nor Brady likely wouldn't have been the best choice in Heupel's offense either.

Like I said, Heupel chose Milton to start over Hooker. You and I, given the limited access we had, probably would've made the same call. Josh Heupel is light years ahead of us in access, coaching talent, and football acumen.

I scratch my head at how he missed that Hooker was the better QB for his system than Milton. If you don't, that's fine.

VN Store

Back