what are the biggest what ifs in tennessee football history

What if Chuck Webb didn't get hurt against Pacific?

I had never heard this before, but according to Chris Treece, Majors believes Tennessee would have won the national title in '89 with Webb. Food for thought.
The only way we win the NC in 89 is for someone to figure out that toss sweep that Alabama
ran like 700 times.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What if Pete Carroll turned down the Seahawks?

What if Tiny blocked Clowney on that last play?

What if we missed that FG at Syracuse in 98?

What if Dooley hired Shannon instead of Sunseri?

What if Hamilton hired Sumlin?

i know the biggest one is the 1939 vandy game when their fullback said he scored but the officials said he did not get in and marked the ball at the one inch line. thus we became the last team to hold all regular season opponents scoreless.

Biggest what if without question. we were ranked #4 Bama was not. We are setting up for the winning field goal. It gets block rebounds 30 some yards and Bama sets up kick winning field goal. We lost 6-9. The kicker 2 teams ahead of us in the rankings loss. We could have come out of that game being #1 or #2. We may not have had CPF "if" we play for NC that year.

Somebody always has to be the guy who brings up this crap, thus ruining my day.

What if I hadn't graduated from the university of tn in 92 where would we be now...........

What if Chuck Webb didn't get hurt against Pacific?

I had never heard this before, but according to Chris Treece, Majors believes Tennessee would have won the national title in '89 with Webb. Food for thought.

I think UT has had a lot of great backs just since I was old enough to remember since 1972 I saw a lot of them in person johnnie jones ,t Thompson .garner, stewert, lewis ,henry and more but chuck webb was the best I ever saw .he had that massive game against ole miss with 294 but it could have been 350 plus.

What if we had a better defense when Peyton was here?

UT's D's were pretty good back then. You're probably focusing on the UF games, but those weren't all on the D. The O gave up a few scores and, face it, Spurrier was a mad man calling plays back then.

Other than UF, the only teams to beat Manning from his Soph through Sr. seasons were Memphis & Nebraska.

I think UT has had a lot of great backs just since I was old enough to remember since 1972 I saw a lot of them in person johnnie jones ,t Thompson .garner, stewert, lewis ,henry and more but chuck webb was the best I ever saw .he had that massive game against ole miss with 294 but it could have been 350 plus.

and dont forget Reggie Cobb was with Chuck Webb, the Cobb-Webb combination was awesome. Too bad some young men get strayed away from their goals . That was a running back duo. Of course so was Stephens, and Henry

Biggest what if without question. we were ranked #4 Bama was not. We are setting up for the winning field goal. It gets block rebounds 30 some yards and Bama sets up kick winning field goal. We lost 6-9. The kicker 2 teams ahead of us in the rankings loss. We could have come out of that game being #1 or #2. We may not have had CPF "if" we play for NC that year.

Not only that, but also the very next season against Bama in 1991. We were down 24-6 and came back late to cut the lead to 24-19. We then recovered an onside kick and had a shot to come back and win the thing. Had Andy Kelly not thrown an ill advised pass, we would have had two epic comebacks on the road that season. The other, of course, being at Notre Dame.

What if the BCS computer is really alien that really loves Alabama?

th

I know of one big one...what if Florida's kicker made that last second kick in 98

(1) What if Julian Battle does not drop the interception that he had at Notre Dame. He had clear sailing to the end zone.

(2) What if Becksvort had made the field goal in 1992 against South Carolina? We win the game and not end in a tie. Majors may keep his job!

(3) Anderson, the fullback, does not fumble the ball, going in to the end zone against Alabama. We win.

(4) Foster doesn't fumble the ball against Penn State. We win the game.

(5) The ref's get the right call against LSU. We win.

(6) The ref's get the right call against UNC. We win.

(7) The ref's make the right call, and Jabari Gaffney's, non catch is ruled a non catch and we win.

(8) Rajon Neal does not take his eye off the ball with the center exchange. He doesn't fumble the ball. He runs the ball the 2 yards necessary to get to the end zone. We beat Ky. We go to a bowl game. The team morale is better. Dooley doesn't see the off season defection of his coachs.....

(9) Ron Zook doesn't go to Kinko's to fax our play book to Florida. We win the game.

(10) The punter doesn't fumble the punt in Los Angeles against UCLA and we win the game.

(1) What if Julian Battle does not drop the interception that he had at Notre Dame. He had clear sailing to the end zone.

Are you talking about the 2001 game? UT won so what's the difference?

(2) What if Becksvort had made the field goal in 1992 against South Carolina? We win the game and not end in a tie. Majors may keep his job!

UT lost the game. But to your point, Majors isn't fired, IMO.

(3) Anderson, the fullback, does not fumble the ball, going in to the end zone against Alabama. We win.

(4) Foster doesn't fumble the ball against Penn State. We win the game.

(5) The ref's get the right call against LSU. We win.

(6) The ref's get the right call against UNC. We win.

(7) The ref's make the right call, and Jabari Gaffney's, non catch is ruled a non catch and we win.

Doubt it. UF still had time but stranger things have happened. Fumble, int., bungled FG attempt.

(8) Rajon Neal does not take his eye off the ball with the center exchange. He doesn't fumble the ball. He runs the ball the 2 yards necessary to get to the end zone. We beat Ky. We go to a bowl game. The team morale is better. Dooley doesn't see the off season defection of his coachs.....

Maybe a blessing in disguise.

(9) Ron Zook doesn't go to Kinko's to fax our play book to Florida. We win the game.

Jack Sells faxed it to Ron Zook.

(10) The punter doesn't fumble the punt in Los Angeles against UCLA and we win the game.

What year was this? I know Leaverton had issues in '97 but UT won. '94 maybe?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back