What does Florida week mean to you?

What does Florida week mean to me?

Another opportunity to put Florida and their fans in their proper place -- below Tennessee.

It means another week of getting my hopes up, only for it all to come crashing down right around 4PM Eastern. I either get to witness the defeat in person, or I get the ultimate joy of hearing Vern tell me how good Florida is and how bad UT has been of late. This has happened to the extent that I now associate the CBS College Football intro with losing to the Gators.

For the love of General Neyland, when will it end?

Reactions: 3 people
This is the week when the hopes that I had leading up to the start of the season through the first cupcakes we played are officially wiped away and reality finally sets in.

This is the week when I realized coming to Volnation.com and listening to all the unfounded hype of people half my age who barely have memories of when UT was good was a complete and utter waste of my life and I should have spent more time with my kids and less time dreaming about UT actually being good again.

Reactions: 2 people
It means lots of anticipation . Followed by lots of dissapointment.

I remember that 2004 game like it was yesterday. Wilhoit went from the most hated kicker in Knoxville history to the hero on that 50 yard game winner.

It means lots of anticipation . Followed by lots of dissapointment.

I remember that 2004 game like it was yesterday. Wilhoit went from the most hated kicker in Knoxville history to the hero on that 50 yard game winner.

We barely beat a team coached by Ron Zook :)

Reactions: 2 people
Few tweets that I hope our boys are reading and kind of find a way to turn into motivation and focus...

@Volquest_Paul: From former Vol commit RT @PBPjasonlieser: Gator LB Michael Taylor on teammates singing Rocky Top "We're usually winning so it's an insult."

@Volquest_Paul: More locker room material from Taylor RT @PBPjasonlieser: Why'd Florida LB Mike Taylor decommit from Tennessee? "I found a better school."

@PBPjasonlieser: Florida LB Mike Taylor was asked if it was correct that he once was committed to Tennessee. He burst out laughing.

Last edited:
Rivalry game and one I've always loved to see. When I first found VN, this week was just as big as Bama week for y'all. I loved the back and forth and enjoyed chiming in.

Here's to it becoming again, what it once was. Good luck Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
Florida week means .....

1. The myth that Florida's offense annually sucks is exploded
2. Chances we win the SEC East are damaged severely
3. Yet again, a somewhat depressed Sat evening and Sunday after yet another ass whuppin at the hands of our biggest rival

That, unfortunately, sums it up for me.

you must not be very old.

biggest rival = bama

always has been. always will be

you must not be very old.

biggest rival = bama

always has been. always will be

46. I respectfully disagree. Bama's our most traditional, maybe even our most "personal" rival. IMHO, since SEC went to east-west divisions, Florida is our biggest rival.

Reactions: 1 person
The Florida game is my favorite day of the year. I don't care what the matchup looks like or how much they are favored by, I hate that team and their fans more than anything. Unlike Bama whom i have repect for, there is 0 repect for Florida. I wish Sandusky had been a coach at Florida.

Reactions: 1 person
Most years it means the games before meant very little. I lost count how many years we would whip some mid-major or in some cases beat a decent team, and UF would struggle against a smaller team or even lose. And we'd play and blah......Of course this year we already got thrashed so it's going to be even worse going into the game.

2002 is still one of the worst years to me. That UF game was just atrocious.

The really sad part about it is even if we beat UF, while it will mean a lot to us to break the 8 year streak, it won't really even mean that much as far as the season. We're definitely not the UT of the past but UF isn't the UF of the past either. They're a lot closer to their old selves, but right now it's pretty clear to me the East is going to be won by Georgia or SC.

Lately it's pain and heartbreak, but I'm hoping for a change this go around. I really feel with proper QB play that we match up pretty well with Florida this year.

Florida week means heartache to me. We usually play badly against florida--and lose. We have played a lot of heavily hyped games, and have mostly lost. There have been a few exceptions. Manning lost the Heisman because of a terrible UT loss to the gators in a heavily hyped national tv game. I once lived in Tokyo, and we were playing florida in Knoxville, and I actually called into a line with the radio broadcast of the game only to hear that we were down 28-0 in the first half--might have been the first quarter. We have had some ugly games against florida, in keeping with our ugly performances generally over the last decade. Wish I could be more positive.

i have never missed a fla game either via tv or n person but for the first time in my life im going to dvr the game due to doing something else that n years past i would paid a fine just to watch..

not this year im saving my 100 bucks n going to work day on my hunting lease.

i hope to be.pleasntly surprised sat night

It means another week of getting my hopes up, only for it all to come crashing down right around 4PM Eastern. I either get to witness the defeat in person, or I get the ultimate joy of hearing Vern tell me how good Florida is and how bad UT has been of late. This has happened to the extent that I now associate the CBS College Football intro with losing to the Gators.

For the love of General Neyland, when will it end?

It's amazing how true that is. CBS afternoon games are the kiss of death for UT. Surely even Verne and Gary are tired of seeing us lose over and over and over again during those 3:30 p.m. games.

???????????????????????

I would think you're a Gator fan, except they haven't lost to us hillbillies in a while.

I would think you're a Vol fan if there were any hills in FL.

he must be thinking of the Clermont Hillbillies..only known topographic variance within the state :)

VN Store

Back