What other message boards (Tennessee’s remaining SEC opponents) are saying about Tennessee (bye week edition)

They know that. I think what Alabama, Georgia, and other fans make fun of us for is becoming the Chernobyl in the first place. Why couldn't Tennessee have handled itself better after firing Fulmer. I agree as well. The poor administration that was in place starting with Hamilton is the issue and it still drives our lack of respect. People are starting to figure out that Tennessee is a coherent program now and may become a threat.

A lot of Georgia fans won't take us seriously until we get a better recruiting class or beat them IMO. They keep saying they have more blue chips.
All it takes is one bad AD, and we had like 3 in a row. Look at Florida, they are where we were with Dooley.

I think the problem is that the obnoxious fans are the new fans. I have friends that have been UGA fans for as long as I have known them or graduated from there and they are extremely realistic. There is some decent smack talking, but that is fun. The new fans are the ones that are just beyond annoying. I asked one who their QB was when Hershel was there, and crickets.

All it takes is one bad AD, and we had like 3 in a row. Look at Florida, they are where we were with Dooley.

I think the problem is that the obnoxious fans are the new fans. I have friends that have been UGA fans for as long as I have known them or graduated from there and they are extremely realistic. There is some decent smack talking, but that is fun. The new fans are the ones that are just beyond annoying. I asked one who their QB was when Hershel was there, and crickets.

The old ones are obnoxious too, trust me. They are still angry at Tennessee for the Fulmer years.

I remember doing a campus visit to UGA and Auburn both on the same trip. When I was at UGA, they spent a lot of time talking about Tennessee lol. Their fans (like Uncle Lou) claim we are NOT a rival but they talk and obsess about Tennessee constantly. Look at the SEC Fan page on Facebook now, there are 2-3 posts from Georgia fans about Tennessee on there now.

Uncle Lou can barely get through a video without through a barb at Tennessee (granted I think he does that for the views as well because he knows TN fans have a large following and frequent his videos). I still think the "We're Back" rankings he started was made to mock Tennessee.

SEC Shorts has the 1990s jokes in there (they are more hilarious than mockery but still it shows the focus on Tennessee, our struggles, and the fact that we were once a superpower that fell off).

The old ones are obnoxious too, trust me. They are still angry at Tennessee for the Fulmer years.
This is why I’m never scared of Athens. My wife’s friends always bark at me on random game days, then a Nationwide commercial comes on, then I bring up Jim Donnan and Quincy Carter.

Shortly thereafter they’re excusing themselves to go pour another drink.

Thin skinned just like their genetic mutation of a mascot.

True Southern A-holes. 😂

This is why I’m never scared of Athens. My wife’s friends always bark at me on random game days, then a Nationwide commercial comes on, then I bring up Jim Donnan and Quincy Carter.

True Southern A-holes. 😂

To be fair, Kirby has them playing at an entirely different level than past Georgia teams. We haven't even had a game close to them yet. They can talk trash. Sadly, that is the way College Football works. Not just Tennessee; Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, etc. No one is close to them right now except Alabama.

The one difference in the 1990s is that there were powerhouses outside of the SEC and the recruiting wasn't so centralized as it is now (I think the national exposure impacts that). Therefore, Tennessee could have a #5 recruiting class and still win the SEC. Now it seems like Tennessee gets #5-7 recruiting class and we are still 3rd or 4th in SEC pecking order.

I remember doing a campus visit to UGA and Auburn both on the same trip. When I was at UGA, they spent a lot of time talking about Tennessee lol. Their fans (like Uncle Lou) claim we are NOT a rival but they talk and obsess about Tennessee constantly. Look at the SEC Fan page on Facebook now, there are 2-3 posts from Georgia fans about Tennessee on there now.

Uncle Lou can barely get through a video without through a barb at Tennessee (granted I think he does that for the views as well because he knows TN fans have a large following and frequent his videos). I still think the "We're Back" rankings he started was made to mock Tennessee.

SEC Shorts has the 1990s jokes in there (they are more hilarious than mockery but still it shows the focus on Tennessee, our struggles, and the fact that we were once a superpower that fell off).

They have ALWAYS been obnoxious.

1. There were 1.02E+23 excuses every time we beat them in the 90s and 2000s.

2. They pull out a win from a classic Fulmer Collapse (which became plentiful after the NC) in 2001, and their drunk-sounding, mushmouthed-mess of an announcer mumbles and slobbers something about a fantasy involving a hobnail boot crushing a face while their players take to midfield and destroy the turf trying to 'erase' the T.

3. Their OL dives at and destroys Shy Tuttle's knee on a very dirty hit, and those ^%$holes put that very OL on the Tennessee game ticket the next year.

4. Two years before the above cheap shot, those fans whined NON-FREAKING-STOP about field conditions which, unfortunately, caused an injury to their RB when he cut back. I hated to see the kid hurt his knee (I hate all injuries). Their fans couldn't have cared less about a knee injury their own player intentionally caused.

Trash program. Worst fans (overall, there are exceptions) in all sport. Totally befits them that their 'Heritage Hall' is named Butts-Mehre. I mean, really, you couldn't make that up if you tried!!!

Reactions: Model12 and tbh
They have ALWAYS been obnoxious.

1. There were 1.02E+23 excuses every time we beat them in the 90s and 2000s.

2. They pull out a win from a classic Fulmer Collapse (which became plentiful after the NC) in 2001, and their drunk-sounding, mushmouthed-mess of an announcer mumbles and slobbers something about a fantasy involving a hobnail boot crushing a face while their players take to midfield and destroy the turf trying to 'erase' the T.

3. Their OL dives at and destroys Shy Tuttle's knee on a very dirty hit, and those ^%$holes put that very OL on the Tennessee game ticket the next year.

4. Two years before the above cheap shot, those fans whined NON-FREAKING-STOP about field conditions which, unfortunately, caused an injury to their RB when he cut back. I hated to see the kid hurt his knee (I hate all injuries). Their fans couldn't have cared less about a knee injury their own player intentionally caused.

Trash program. Worst fans (overall, there are exceptions) in all sport. Totally befits them that their 'Heritage Hall' is named Butts-Mehre. I mean, really, you couldn't make that up if you tried!!!

The worse 2 fan bases from my personal experience have been Georgia and Oregon. LSU is a close third.

Miami and USC fans were bad back in the day when they were good as well.

I love how people say we’re exposed. It not a very hard to figure out how Stop us. You have to be able to stop the run with light box and Tackle in space consistently. The problem is Most teams aren’t capable of doing that for 4q. Now we have a defense that even if you do we can still win
To quote Bobby Bowden: "If you don't score, I win."

The worse 2 fan bases from my personal experience have been Georgia and Oregon. LSU is a close third.

Miami and USC fans were bad back in the day when they were good as well.

I only disagree about LSU. I've been there for a few games and have always been treated well, and had a blast. I mean, everyone there is totally &^%$faced, regardless of game time, but very friendly drunks!

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Oh and let’s not forget Florida on the list of what hiring bad coaches can and will do to your program.
I was actually shocked when (Herbstreet I think) said that FU's record over the last 10 years is a 7-5 average. Not really sure what that means, but it was a bit of a shock.

With respect, GA was relevant almost every year that Mark Richt was the coach. Of coarse unless you mean one must win a championship to be considered relevant.

Almost every year? No, that's not true. I would consider relevance the top half of the Top 10, so around 5-7 at worst.

3 of Richts final 6 years, Georgia finished unranked. They spent a decent portion of his tenure in the Top 10, but the rest either unranked or in the teens. That's "Oklahoma State" relevance.

That's my problem with the majority of Georgia fans. Their true powerhouse relevance started with Kirby, but they seem to honestly believe they are a traditional blue blood in the same camp as Ohio State, Michigan, Bama, etc.

They aren't. They've spent the majority of their program's existence in Tennessee's shadow. It took the worst decade in our program's history, combined with the best decade in their programs history, just to even up the series (and eventually take a slight lead).

True Southern A-holes. 😂
Nailed it. UGA is truly an obese mutant rodent.

I only disagree about LSU. I've been there for a few games and have always been treated well, and had a blast. I mean, everyone there is totally &^%$faced, regardless of game time, but very friendly drunks!

They attacked our team bus in 2005. There was a story of LSU fans throwing beer bottles at a young girl wearing Ole Miss gear at that game. They used to have the worse history in the SEC. They have gotten better in recent history. I am thinking more the 2000-2010 time frame.

Reactions: VolInNW
Almost every year? No, that's not true. I would consider relevance the top half of the Top 10, so around 5-7 at worst.

3 of Richts final 6 years, Georgia finished unranked. They spent a decent portion of his tenure in the Top 10, but the rest either unranked or in the teens. That's "Oklahoma State" relevance.

That's my problem with the majority of Georgia fans. Their true powerhouse relevance started with Kirby, but they seem to honestly believe they are a traditional blue blood in the same camp as Ohio State, Michigan, Bama, etc.

They aren't. They've spent the majority of their program's existence in Tennessee's shadow. It took the worst decade in our program's history, combined with the best decade in their programs history, just to even up the series (and eventually take a slight lead).

I’m not going to waste my time correcting you, I should have known better than engage in conversation with someone spouting your nonsense in the first place. I’m not a member here for such things anyway so my bad there. I’ll just say I disagree and leave it.

I’m not going to waste my time correcting you, I should have known better than engage in conversation with someone spouting your nonsense in the first place. I’m not a member here for such things anyway so my bad there. I’ll just say I disagree and leave it.

Yeah, Georgia won the SEC in 2002 and 2005 and was pretty good with Matthew Stafford from 2007-2008 (didn't win SEC but were in top 5/10 those years). Georgia was a fairly solid program with Richt so I agree with you. Some people (even your fan Uncle Lou) don't consider teams relevant unless they win a National Title so 97% of CFB is irrelevant to them. It is an opinion based view but I agree with you on this take.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
Yeah, Georgia won the SEC in 2002 and 2005 and was pretty good with Matthew Stafford from 2007-2008 (didn't win SEC but were in top 5/10 those years). Georgia was a fairly solid program with Richt so I agree with you. Some people (even your fan Uncle Lou) don't consider teams relevant unless they win a National Title so 97% of CFB is irrelevant to them. It is an opinion based view but I agree with you on this take.

Thanks, I guess some just view things differently which is cool. CFB is big enough for everyone’s opinion I suppose. Hell, it wouldn’t be as interesting talking football if we all thought the same things. Thanks for speaking up though, much appreciated.

Reactions: 67Vol
They know that. I think what Alabama, Georgia, and other fans make fun of us for is becoming the Chernobyl in the first place. Why couldn't Tennessee have handled itself better after firing Fulmer. I agree as well. The poor administration that was in place starting with Hamilton is the issue and it still drives our lack of respect. People are starting to figure out that Tennessee is a coherent program now and may become a threat.

A lot of Georgia fans won't take us seriously until we get a better recruiting class or beat them IMO. They keep saying they have more blue chips.
You are right but it’s even more than that. And on the following I will have to agree. For so long many TN fans would say we are back. We would have a decent win and next thing you know fans would start saying it feels like 98. Take 2022 for example. Some TN fans thought because we beat Bama, LSU and UF that this was our year to beat UGA.

UGA fans aren’t gonna take us seriously until we have multiple year winning streak against them and a NC imo.

You are right but it’s even more than that. And on the following I will have to agree. For so long many TN fans would say we are back. We would have a decent win and next thing you know fans would start saying it feels like 98. Take 2022 for example. Some TN fans thought because we beat Bama, LSU and UF that this was our year to beat UGA.

UGA fans aren’t gonna take us seriously until we have multiple year winning streak against them and a NC imo.

There where some times were it looked like we were back.

A great example is 2015 season. We lost all 4 games off literally a single play. With some better luck, that team could have been 12-0. 2016 also played with us beating Va Tech, Florida, and Georgia to start the season.

Pruitt had that 8-9 straight wins in a row run from 2019-2020.

The teams played with our heart.

Thanks, I guess some just view things differently which is cool. CFB is big enough for everyone’s opinion I suppose. Hell, it wouldn’t be as interesting talking football if we all thought the same things. Thanks for speaking up though, much appreciated.

And this is an example that even the worst fanbases can have good folks in them. You strike me as a decent fella. It's just SO VERY few and far between in your ranks. Mostly obnoxious, whiny chest-beaters needing constant affirmation.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
I get what you are saying and see some of it. However, keep in mind that in 2022, our offense looked like trash against Pittsburgh and it even went to overtime. Using that logic, Alabama would have spanked Tennessee.

What happened?

I think NC State isn't great but they probably still win 7 or 8 games like 2022 Pittsburgh. For them to be as bad as they were against Clemson indicates that they probably had injuries and/or locker room issues going into the game.

If you go off recruiting rankings (which Alabama and Georgia fans love to point out), Oklahoma has been in the top 10 in recruiting every year with Venables. OU isn't full of scrub players. On paper, they are the third most talent team we play and are one of the most talented teams (outside Alabama and Georgia) we have played in the Heupel era.

I do think we are getting a little too much hype (funny, people say the media hates us but 2022 and this year beg to differ).
Their QB was out I believe which is a huge loss

I don't care how many points we scored. NCst is pathetic and they still made our QB turn it over ......twice. OU has a great defense and they got to Nico.....twice and he fumbled. All the "shuck and jive" in the world doesn't answer that issue. We have a glaring weakness that Helen Keller could see.
You used the word "exposed" out of context in an earlier post and now you're stating we have a "glaring weakness". Of course there were a couple of breakdowns last game. We were playing against a stout defense. Other teams can be elite too. We overcame it with solid play and game adjustments. Saying we're "exposed" would suggest our offense is mediocre, which isn't remotely the case. We also had a couple of key OL guys injured. I get we don't want our shades too orange, but your claims are exaggerated in an effort to come across as objective

The young fans are the worst! Like “buddy I know more about your team and program than you do.” lol

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange

VN Store

Back