What was the first Tennessee game that You attended?

1996 vs UNLV. My dad took me when I was 15 and Peyton lit up the score board. Think we hung up 60 something that day.

98 vs Arkansas, my first and only Tennessee game. I was 8 at the time and went to the game with my grandmother. I remember convincing my grandmother that we couldn't leave until the end of the game...right before the fumble and stumble play, she said we should go to "beat the crowd" and I almost complied because I was so defeated...then the crowd erupted and I had no idea what happened! But I knew it was good, whatever it was. Next thing you know, we have the ball and the rest is history. I still clearly remember the deafening roar of Neyland those last few minutes, I swear I could feel my cranium vibrating...crazy game to be at, even if I don't remember it all too well.

Went to some games when I was really young. After that, didn't go to a game until Montana in 11. Had season tickets last year, wish I could afford them this year. Hope to see 4 or 5 games and I think ticket prices will be low enough for me to do so.

Fall 1966, first home game,Don't recall who as I was under the influence from Eddi,s package store on the Strip. Do remember UT/Ala at home,Lost 10-9 when Gary Wright missed a twenty something yard field goal.Went to the Gator Bowl and saw the Swamp Rat beat Syracuse 18-12.Hardest hit ever-Paul Naumoff stoning Larry Csonka on third and goal.

That 1966 Gator Bowl was my 1st UT game!
My dad took us after leaving tickets in my & my 2 sister's stocking. I still have the ticket stub!!! It cost $6.00!!!!! We met Gov Buford Ellington, who was a friend of my Dads from our days in Lewisburg. UT won 18-12. Richmond Flowers became my 1st UTFB hero that day & I still admire him greatly! I was 8. My first game in Neyland Stadium was 1971 vs Cal- Santa Barbara, who has since dropped football.
I'm heading to Mizzou this Nov. That will only leave Baton Rouge & College Station, then I will have been to all 14 SEC stadiums, incl LR & Bham!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
1979 Auburn game where Gary Moore from Meigs Co. returned the opening kickoff right at me in the South upper deck for a TD! Vols went on that day to smash Auburn 35-17...:salute:

1994 vs Arkansas.

Pretty sure this was Peytons second start. I was only 7 but i remember it like it was yesterday.

I attended a few when I was very little and remeber heath being the qb but dont remember who we played.

First game I remember attending was 96 alabama in the rain. First time we beat bama at neyland in a while. It was raining and I was begging dad to leave cause we were getting beat and bamas d hadnt let manning do anything, and dad told me we could leave but he promised me it was going to get good. With like 11 min left manning opened the flood gates and put it on ole bamer to win the game. Proly my greatest memory with my dad, cause he also took me to hooters before the game for my first time, I was 9 so it was a big deal. Lol

Reactions: 1 person
UT vs NC State 2012. Road tripped down there in my first couple weeks as a college student. I actually went to the game with Yemi and Josh Richardson as we had mutual friends on campus and carpooled to Atlanta.

From November 2012 Thread on same topic ...

"1957 - Georgia Tech. We won 21-6.

I had just turned 6 in October. Everything seemed so big. I vividly remember the old Rambling Wreck that drove across the field and the Tennessee Walking horse that used to be a mainstay of the games in the old days.

As a tradition we [have] taken each of our grandkids to their first game @ the ages of 5/6. We have one left that has not aged-up yet."

Reactions: 2 people
I started following the Vols in 1952, but it was several years later when I attended my first game. 1958, University of Chattanooga 14, Tennessee 7.

Hope you stayed for the riot and tear gas. I was there with my Dad and, next day that's all we talked about in Sunday school class.

Hope you stayed for the riot and tear gas. I was there with my Dad and, next day that's all we talked about in Sunday school class.

It took a lot of balls and stupidity for the Chattanooga fans to try to pull down the goal posts. I heard when fire hoses were brought out the Chattanooga fans took their pocket knives to them.

That was a good game--even if we lost....Of course, Fla had the best team $$$ could buy....:salute:

that's when florida was routinely playing 1:00 games on astroturf.

people who complain about "hot" now, just don't know.

that's when florida was routinely playing 1:00 games on astroturf.

people who complain about "hot" now, just don't know.

Yeah--there's a video of that game somewhere on the net--I think the temp was 115 or 120 on the field that day....It was a war! :salute:

Mine was Auburn in 1991. Carl Pickens had 4 catches for 172 yards. Vols won 30-21 if I remember correctly. I had a blast. I was already a fan, but that made me a true fanatic.

VN Store

Back