Will Butch Jones restore Tennessee to Greatness?

After watching the Jones press conference, my deja vu feeling of nausea at the coach speak sent me out surfing multiple Bearcat boards and I found common themes concerning the new head coach.

Micro manager
Weak x's and o's guy
Paranoid
Bad late game management
No 2nd half adjustment
On field loyalty to less talented players
Big ego
Corny Butchisms
Unwillingness to adjust his way to current roster skill set
Fans more upset over loss of assistant coaches than head coach

The bammer and gator have gifted the Vols with Dooley 2.0 for a long term stretch. The only good things I could find were he works really, really hard and appears to be a recruiting upgrade over Doolz.

I avoided the obviously butthurt fans in reading statements concerning Jones, but most Bearcat fans think he is way out of his league in trying to coach in the SEC.

Ugh!!!!! Do I think Jones can win the SEC and a NC? No, but I hope I'm wrong.

I was on the Gru-train not due to the man himself, but more for what he could bring to UT, which was a change in the overall perception of our beloved Vols. I just don't see Jones having the type of impact needed to facilitate those changes the way a HR hire could.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't know but i'll give him every oppourtunity to do so. I for one am glad gruden declined to come here. I prefer a coach who has proven he can coach at the college level over mr hollywood who hasn't. Sure gruden would have excelled at getting recruits.but its what you do with them thats important.

The question neither asked about Gruden or even referenced him.

The level of player is better in the SEC than it is in the MAC but do not forget he is not bringing his team with him. UT has SEC players to compete against SEC players. They simply need the scheme and coaching to do so. When Fulmer was winning he brought in 3 * players and coached them to 5 * players, then he stopped coaching and found out what happens. Dooley could not coach anyone to become a better player. Hopefully Coach Jones can.

Your statement about Fulmer bringing in 3* and coaching them up to 5* is completely asinine and false. Fulmer was known for his recruiting not his coaching prowess. He had numerous top 5 and top 10 classes.

Here is Fulmer’s record broken down by tier of opponent during our “greatness” years.

First-tier opponents are teams that had a winning percentage of .750 or better

Second tier were .500 to .749

Third tier opponents were .250 to .499

Fourth tier opponents were .249 and below.

Tier Wins Losses Pct. Avg. Scored Avg. Allowed
First 23 26 .469 22 24
Second 50 16 .758 30 21
Third 53 3 .946 34 15
Fourth 21 0 1.000 42 11
As you can see Fulmer did not fare so well against the best teams in the country. He simply beat the crap out of the teams he was supposed to. During his tenure there were more teams in the SEC that he was supposed to beat than ones in the first tier. I believe he would struggle now as a coach in the SEC.

Fulmer won the SEC East in:

Won two SEC Championships and one Natl Cham.

I guess using simple math is not common in here as the way to get to an average is to have some parts more than the average and some part less than the average. It is impossible to tell is 9 wins would get it done in any given year as we do not know how good the competition will be in that given year. Remember we are not that far away from a 2 loss team with a shot at the national title. I guess you also forgot that in the last decade Alabama has posted 6 seasons with 7 wins or less? LSU has posted 5 seasons with 8 wins or less.

I am guessing that logic, reason and common sense are not so common on here.

You did not answer the question posed by the topic of the thread.

Why do the doubters only have to say no without explanation, but an essay response is expected from the "all-inners"? I think the "all-inners" and the "wait and seers" are basically the same b/c the final product is what each of us will base our final grades on. Any grades we assign at this point is pure speculation.

The thread does not ask for any type of explanation at all!

It asks whether you believe he will win SEC East and SEC Championship and how long. No explanation is necessary or required.

Last edited:
I think he has a good system and can coach. If he can recruit then we have a great chance of returning to greatness. If we see a bunch of three star players it doesn't matter how good you can coach you will not be able to compete with four and five star talent that Bama, LSU. Georgia, and Florida gets.

Reactions: 1 person
I think he has a good system and can coach. If he can recruit then we have a great chance of returning to greatness. If we see a bunch of three star players it doesn't matter how good you can coach you will not be able to compete with four and five star talent that Bama, LSU. Georgia, and Florida gets.

Well recruiting and coaching go hand and hand wouldn't you say?

You cannot have and not the other the SEC. You have to do both well to win!!!

So are you "all-in", wait and see or no?

I would like to think so, as I hoped with Dooley for two years, but the realistic side of me says the odds are against it.

This guy is only here bec Hart bungled a one-man search instead of hiring a search firm to help come up with names of experienced coaches who would die to be at UT for the right price. Arguably even Arkansas made a better hire bec their guy comes with Big 10 experience inst of Big East experience. He has been on Brian Kelly's coattails every place he's been. Uphill climb at best to SEC following Dooley.

Hart is the next guy out the door. Over the hill. How long do we have to suffer before we can get a competent AD???

I hope Butch Jones is the reincarnation of Gen Neyland and we win the SEC and nat'l championship in his second year, but realism says he's gone in 3. Like a lot of fools I'll support Jones though. But Hart, like Hammy, has exposed his incompetence.

Fulmer won the SEC East in:

Won two SEC Championships and one Natl Cham.

It all turned to shat because fulmer quit working.
That's all in the past now.
Because CDD stunk it up doesn't mean our standards have changed. If CBJ performes like CDD or CPF Post 2004 he will be out too.

The thread does not ask for any type of explanation at all!

It asks whether you believe he will win SEC East and SEC Championship and how long. No explanation is necessary or required.

Who do you think you are? The thread police? :lolabove:

There is no way to know how well CBJ will do at Tennessee two days after he was hired.

Pretty straight forward thread and question I think!

Well, EXCUSE ME (!) and others for stepping on your sensitive politically-correct toes.

My life does not consist of starting threads and then policing them, thank God. I hope I never have thousands of posts here bec that would tell the whole world that I have no other life.

If I ever do feel compelled to start a thread, I will not spend hours policing it. Free speech, even on threads, in the USA!

Last edited:
Well, EXCUSE ME (!) and others for stepping on your sensitive politically-correct toes.

My life does not consist of starting threads and then policing them, thank God. I hope I never have thousands of posts here bec that would tell the whole world that I have no other life.

If I ever do feel compelled to start a thread, I will not spend hours policing it. Free speech, even on threads, in the USA!

Not policing but it is a fair question which is asked by millions of fans of various programs when they hire a new coach. In fact, isn't why he was hired?

VN Store

Back