Will Butch Jones restore Tennessee to Greatness?

Well, EXCUSE ME (!) and others for stepping on your sensitive politically-correct toes.

My life does not consist of starting threads and then policing them, thank God. I hope I never have thousands of posts here bec that would tell the whole world that I have no other life.

If I ever do feel compelled to start a thread, I will not spend hours policing it. Free speech, even on threads, in the USA!

Clearly I missed something here.
I think the debate about Gru is not relevant and Patrick was trying to keep it out. The CPF comparison is fair game.

I thought you were adding to the debate.
Again I must have missed something.

Neither Les Miles nor Nick Saban had SEC experience either before they came into the SEC. Yet, they have won quite a few SEC games and even some NCs. So, anybody who says that non-SEC people can't win in the SEC is full of horse manure!

Well, EXCUSE ME (!) and others for stepping on your sensitive politically-correct toes.

My life does not consist of starting threads and then policing them, thank God. I hope I never have thousands of posts here bec that would tell the whole world that I have no other life.

If I ever do feel compelled to start a thread, I will not spend hours policing it. Free speech, even on threads, in the USA!

Not a free speech issue. You don't have the right of free speech on someone else's website.

Butch Jones is NOT Derek Dooley. Derek Dooley never had a winning record before we got him and he never had one at Tennessee. As a matter of fact, the last coach we hired with a winning record was Johnny Majors! So, for the sake of the program, be a Vol and get behind him!!!

Fulmer won the SEC East in:

Won two SEC Championships and one Natl Cham.

1997 florida, georgia and UT were the only SEC schools in the top 15 final poll.

1998 UT and Florida are the only SEC schools in the top 15

2001 Florida, UT and LSU are the only SEC schools in the top 15

2003 UT and Georgia are the only SEC school in the top 15

2004 Auburn Georgia and UT are the only SEC school in the top 15

2007 LSU, Georgia, Florida are the only SEC schools in the top 15. UT was 16.

There are currently 6 SEC schools in the top 10 of the BCS standings.....looks like when there were easy teams to beat Fulmer did a good job of beating them, but when things got harder he got worse. See the under .500 record against the top tier teams.

1997 florida, georgia and UT were the only SEC schools in the top 15 final poll.

1998 UT and Florida are the only SEC schools in the top 15

2001 Florida, UT and LSU are the only SEC schools in the top 15

2003 UT and Georgia are the only SEC school in the top 15

2004 Auburn Georgia and UT are the only SEC school in the top 15

2007 LSU, Georgia, Florida are the only SEC schools in the top 15. UT was 16.

There are currently 6 SEC schools in the top 10 of the BCS standings.....looks like when there were easy teams to beat Fulmer did a good job of beating them, but when things got harder he got worse. See the under .500 record against the top tier teams.

So will CBJ beat those teams?

None of us know. Desiring that all of us HOPE he does so, instead of crying over spilled milk or wanting to just be right that he isn’t the perfect hire.

This is an interesting question that realistically cannot be answered. My guess is that he will at least make Tennessee respectable again. I think we will at least go to bowl games every year with him there, including next year. This recruiting class to me is a wash. If he can make it better then good, but I won't hold it against him if he ends up about the same as where they currently are. If he starts winning games next year then the recruits will come because it's Tennessee. After next season I will know a lot more, but I like this hire much more than the last two. No coach is guaranteed to win anything. Maybe he can win championships, maybe not, but it's a little to early to tell. Tennessee's soft part of the schedule should ensure 6 wins pretty much every year. Anything less than that next year indicates poor coaching. 7 shows that he is a good coach. 8+ means he will have UT in the hunt for the East in years to come.

No. Not his fault - he just won't get the recruits he needs over here thanks to Chinese Jimmy the Nose Picking Butt Cheek trying to turn our great university into a Vandy-like prick school.
Having said that, he can't be any worse than Doofus Doolittle.

wait and see. I do feel like he has a better chance than his 2 predecessors.

If hes willing to risk his career on trying to turn Tennessee around then hes worth my support and respect.

I believe that Jones success will hinge on how great his assistants are. I'm all in for him keeping his OC from Cinci, love the Jay retention. Even believe that Willie will be a great asset to the team. However I totally believe that he should have paid up for a premier DC... like Shannon or another top coach that can do it without any questions. If he is gonna have ''the top'' staff in the country it starts for me at DC. That being said the man was given a 6 yr contract, and I believe he will be here for all of them. The man is a football coach, he has proved that. Now he has to prove it on the toughest stage in college athletics.

Hell if I know.

I think Jones can coach, which is a definite upgrade over the last guy we had, but I'm not sure he can restore this program to "greatness". That ish ain't easy, and I think it will take more than a "good" coach. Probably a great one. Jones may prove to be just that, but it remains to be seen.

Having said that, I'm more excited for Vols football going forward than I have been for 5 years.

I think he could have a shot at the East eventually.

Restoring to Greatness though?

I guess we will have to wait and see. :)

If he wins the games he is supposed to win, then at the end of Oct he will be 4-4 with Mizzou, Auburn, Vandy, and Kentucky coming up......

To be 4-4, you are expecting UT to beat one of the following: Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, or South Carolina. Which one is "supposed to win"?

No.

I see better results from CBJ, such as not losing to UK and Vandy, but beating the big boys in the SEC is still a dream.

wait and see. I do feel like he has a better chance than his 2 predecessors.

If hes willing to risk his career on trying to turn Tennessee around then hes worth my support and respect.

Risk his career? He can always go back to a lesser school with his armored truck full of cash! Get real.

There are many on this board that are saying that Butch Jones is a good hire for Tennessee and are very excited about him and his coaching and recruiting abilities. These Vol fans are "all-in" on Jones and expect great things during his tenure.

Likewise there are other Vol fans who are taking a "wait-and-see" approach on this hire. Their opinions will be based upon what he does with his staff hires, recruiting and ultimately wins and losses.

There is a third category of Vol fans who do not support this hire nor do they support Hart and Cheek. These fans have indicated on this board and on the radio that they are displeased with what has taken place and will not renew their season tickets nor will they provide anymore donations to the Athletic Department.

Nevertheless, I am curious as to how many of the "all-inners" believe that Butch Jones will restore this program to its former greatness. Which "all-inners" really believe that Butch Jones will win the SEC east and an SEC Championship?

Please let us know if you believe that Jones will accomplish those two goals at UT and how long it will take him? (Jones himself said in his presser and in his initial team meeting that UT will be a "Championship Team".

If however you do not believe that Jones will accomplish the Championship goals he set, please say "no".

So if you are optimistic you have to justify your stance, but if you are pessimistic you get off with just a "NO"? Sounds about right.

Reactions: 1 person
I get the sense that the people against Butch here are wanting to see Butch fail so UT can hire a whining, egomaniacal person who is not a current NFL coach for a reason. That reason being that he literally frosted everyone in the organization he was in. I wouldn't be shocked at all if that person was still without an NFL job. This person loves the attention more than being at a place he says he loves. I call BS. If Gruden really wanted the job, he'd be here. He didn't. He can die in a fire as far as I care.

He has the best chance of any of the coaches interviewed to replace Dooley. I think it was the best hire we could make. While it would be difficult to break into the top three in the SEC, I believe we will see that happen within the next four years. He is a coach who has experienced success and knows how to win. He wants to be at Tennessee. He understands where modern football is going. He is assembling a very good recruiting coaching staff. I look forward to talking to him and kick around a few ideas. This is the most positive move in Tennessee football in the last 10 years.

VN Store

Back