Would you be happy with 6-6 (regular season) in 2013?

happy?

• Total voters
We could easily have a 4 or 5 win season with the tough schedule and lack of talent, so six would be nice. We're gonna have to be a bit patient with Butch. It will take some time, but he WILL get us there!

Wins and losses be damned this year. I just wanna see a team that competes and isn't afraid to hit other teams in the mouth. The wins will come as the talent continues to roll in. I can't judge this year's squad in wins and losses. I wanna see competitiveness from the young guys that makes me excited for the future.

Reactions: 1 person
IMPORTANT: Assume that we beat everyone on our schedule who we are supposed to beat, and that one of our six wins comes from either Oregon, UF, Bama, UGA, or USCe.
If we are able to pull off an upset over one of the above mentioned teams, then Mizzou, Vandy, UK and the other OOC games would fall in to the games we should win category. In that scenario it is impossibe to win all of the games that we "should win" AND pull an upset with less than 7 wins.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bravely said. Complete tosh but bravely stated. :jpshakehead:

Please explain. Do you think 6-6 is unreasonable? Simply winning the games we are SUPPOSED to win gets us to 6-6, which gets us to a bowl. I think it's extremely important for us to not only go to a bowl but win it because that kind of momentum will carry over to the next season, it will certainly help recruiting, and it will help ignite our fan base!

Last edited:
I won't be happy or satisfied but I would understand this is just the start. Dooley left us horribly short of talent in key areas.

Even as low as we are talent wise, we should have equal or superior talent to seven teams on our schedule. Those being:

AP
WKU
S.AL
Mo
Au
Vandy
Ky

All of them at home except KY and MO. While 6 and 6 will be improvement it will be underachieving IMO. 7-5 is winning all the games we should. Winning one of the others would be overachieving.

Knowing what we have for talent currently...yes, I guess I would be happy with 6-6.

According to Rivals, UT will have more talent than at least 8 of its opponents and possibly 9 (Auburn?).

UT has 5 guys on the OL who will probably be drafted next spring. They have one and possibly two LB's who will be drafted next spring. They have 2 DT's who will probably be drafted.

EVERYONE... except maybe Bama is looking to fill voids right now.

Take USCe for instance. They lost their top two RB's. They lost Ace Sanders who was easily their most dynamic player on O. They lost over half their INT's. They lost 7 of their top 10 tacklers and 10 of their 19 players who had more than 10 tackles.

And remember... according to the recruiting services, Dooley left Jones MORE talent than USCe has.

This year is VERY MUCH a test of whether Jones is the right coach. He DOES inherit talent. There are holes to fill but that's what coaches do every year. A 6-6 finish with this team will be a strong indicator that he's outclassed in the SEC.

Dooley produced a 6-6 record against a schedule as difficult as this year or more so. He inherited not a single starting OL. No QB who was on the roster the year before. No DT's. A LB corps LED by a walk on.

So you guys really think it is OK for Jones to do less with more than Dooley did in his first year?

Dooley produced a 6-6 record against a schedule as difficult as this year or more so. He inherited not a single starting OL. No QB who was on the roster the year before. No DT's. A LB corps LED by a walk on.

So you guys really think it is OK for Jones to do less with more than Dooley did in his first year?

Jones also inherited the worst defense in school history.

I'd say inheriting a program built by Fulmer/Kiffin is better than inheriting anything Dumba€€ Dooley could have built.

The more importmant number in year one that Vol fans need to keep an eye on is recruiting rankings. It's more important to sign a top class than beat a team like La Monroe & Utah:clapping:

What is the most amazing is that I haven't really seen anyone on here criticizing CBJ the way that CDD was in his first year. Is the perception that CBJ is a real coach that will bring us back or have our expectations dropped by a couple of games? I for one was "hoping" that CDD would bring the team around until the abysmal 2nd half of the FL game (just don't like instability, it is a program killer). This was further confirmed during the Akron game. After that, I hoped on the "he has to go band wagon". I just get a different feeling with CBJ. He at least makes you think he is a "real" FB coach and not someone else acting like one.

Jones also inherited the worst defense in school history.
Not because of players.

Virtually the same players minus experience and players like Lanier, Couch, Sentimore, McCullers was mid-pack in '11 under Wilcox. The '12 D was horrible because of bad coaching more than bad players. If this year's D is bad... it will be for a similar reason.

I'd say inheriting a program built by Fulmer/Kiffin is better than inheriting anything Dumba€€ Dooley could have built.

And you would be absolutely wrong and contrary to the FACTS but why should you try something new?

Rather than argue about it, just search the web for the '10 UT roster and depth chart then compare to what was left to Jones. There IS NO comparison. The only position that was better was receiver with Moore and Jones returning. The WORST of it was the lines where there were NO returning OL starters and only one player capable of starting AND NO DT's. A walk on and DE's made up the DT position.

In every respect, Jones inherits a better program. Fulmer put it in the dumpster by being lazy. Kiffin started cleaning things up within the program but quit before really starting to rebuild anything. Dooley flat out could not coach. But he CAN administer/manage a program. He improved LT in that regard and appears to have improved UT in that regard.

Not because of players.

Virtually the same players minus experience and players like Lanier, Couch, Sentimore, McCullers was mid-pack in '11 under Wilcox. The '12 D was horrible because of bad coaching more than bad players. If this year's D is bad... it will be for a similar reason.

And you would be absolutely wrong and contrary to the FACTS but why should you try something new?

Rather than argue about it, just search the web for the '10 UT roster and depth chart then compare to what was left to Jones. There IS NO comparison. The only position that was better was receiver with Moore and Jones returning. The WORST of it was the lines where there were NO returning OL starters and only one player capable of starting AND NO DT's. A walk on and DE's made up the DT position.

In every respect, Jones inherits a better program. Fulmer put it in the dumpster by being lazy. Kiffin started cleaning things up within the program but quit before really starting to rebuild anything. Dooley flat out could not coach. But he CAN administer/manage a program. He improved LT in that regard and appears to have improved UT in that regard.

I will agree the personnel is better, but not the situation.

Yea Jones has a great OL, but essentially no QB with SEC playing time, brand new receiving corps across the board and still no feature back. So you have a great OL with no one around them that has ever done anything with the ball.

Also, the mess that was that defense last year doesn't just shake that off or unlearn being that dreadful overnight. Dooley ran a slop program, and so that is want Jone inherited, slop.

But you are into FACTs. The fact I never focused solely on personnel just seemed to miss your brain altogether.

Last edited:
According to Rivals, UT will have more talent than at least 8 of its opponents and possibly 9 (Auburn?).

UT has 5 guys on the OL who will probably be drafted next spring. They have one and possibly two LB's who will be drafted next spring. They have 2 DT's who will probably be drafted.

EVERYONE... except maybe Bama is looking to fill voids right now.

Take USCe for instance. They lost their top two RB's. They lost Ace Sanders who was easily their most dynamic player on O. They lost over half their INT's. They lost 7 of their top 10 tacklers and 10 of their 19 players who had more than 10 tackles.

And remember... according to the recruiting services, Dooley left Jones MORE talent than USCe has.

This year is VERY MUCH a test of whether Jones is the right coach. He DOES inherit talent. There are holes to fill but that's what coaches do every year. A 6-6 finish with this team will be a strong indicator that he's outclassed in the SEC.

the last few years we've had this debate about talent.

during those years, tennessee has produced 2 drafted players in 2011, 1 in 2012, and 4 in 2013. 7 total

florida, georgia, alabama, and south carolina had 7 players or more drafted in 2013 alone.

tennessee has produced very few all conference players in the last 3 years.

and we know what the win-loss record is.

with all due respect, i do not know where all this talent is supposed to be.

Pencil in a win...Greater than 50% probability of a win
Austin Peay
Western Kentucky
South Alabama
Missouri
Kentucky

Toss Up 50%
Auburn
Vanderbilt

Less Than 50%
Oregon
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Alabama

With only 5 more than likely victories, and 2 games that are toss ups this makes me think that statistically 6 wins should be the mark we can expect.

Pencil in a win...Greater than 50% probability of a win
Austin Peay
Western Kentucky
South Alabama
Missouri
Kentucky

Toss Up 50%
Auburn
Vanderbilt

Less Than 50%
Oregon
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Alabama

With only 5 more than likely victories, and 2 games that are toss ups this makes me think that statistically 6 wins should be the mark we can expect.

Personally I think Georgia and South Carolina are beatable opponents. We give them both a fight every year, and if the offense can get the ball rolling at that point in the year, I think we pull the upset against one of them. 7-5 is our safest best finish, with 8-4 being a possibility IMO.

Personally I think Georgia and South Carolina are beatable opponents. We give them both a fight every year, and if the offense can get the ball rolling at that point in the year, I think we pull the upset against one of them. 7-5 is our safest best finish, with 8-4 being a possibility IMO.

not saying they aren't "beatable" just saying that we are less likely to win than lose

VN Store

Back