Your call: Worley or Peterman and why?

Justin Worley, and I'll tell you why. I had a dream last night that he stepped under center in a blaze of bearded glory and then promptly completed 7 straight passes culminating in a beautiful touchdown in the back corner of the endzone to what appeared to be a white guy wearing #4. Admittedly, I don't know if we have a WR wearing #4 on our roster, but I don't believe that diminishes the validity of my prophetic vision. So it is written, so it shall be done.

I had the same dream...............................

LOL....why do people always want the next guy? Jonathan Crompton should have taught us all that the next guy isn't always the answer. Everyone wanted Ainge benched for Crompton. Nobody learned their lesson.

Worley has done it the right way. He's came in, waited his turn...it's his time. He's spent two years under Jim Chaney who's an excellent QB coach. I've got this feeling that if Duh'Rick Rogers catches that TD pass against USCe, people would view Worley in a different light.

I keep hearing people say they've not seen much from Worley when he did play. Getting thrown into the wolves doesn't help things. I can assure you if we start a freshman the same thing will be said about them. Then our fanbase will cannibalize them and want the next guy in line. Smh

If Da'Rick catches that pass.... if Cordarelle doesn't run the wrong route v Vandy, if Hinter doesn't drop the TD pass.....

I'm with you Rich .... everybody wants to pile on this kid after a very, very small sample size, in some difficult situations (eg, first starts as a freshman vs Alabama and So Carolina), where his WRs didn't help him out.

I like him. If he earns the starting job, which I think he will, how about we all get behind and let him fail first before saying he cant play and predicting a freshman will be starting by mid season.

Reactions: 2 people
If Da'Rick catches that pass.... if Cordarelle doesn't run the wrong route v Vandy, if Hinter doesn't drop the TD pass.....

I'm with you Rich .... everybody wants to pile on this kid after a very, very small sample size, in some difficult situations (eg, first starts as a freshman vs Alabama and So Carolina), where his WRs didn't help him out.

I like him. If he earns the starting job, which I think he will, how about we all get behind and let him fail first before saying he cant play and predicting a freshman will be starting by mid season.

You hit the nail on the head with how I feel about it. The only sample size we have is of him as a true freshman against top comp. That SC defense finished 4th nationally that season and were #1 nationally against the pass when we played them. In fact, the SC DC earned a HC job from his job there. Yes he had the pick against Vandy that CP somehow gets a free pass on. Worley never really had the option of mop up duty like most upcoming players normally do. 2 reasons he didn't get mop up time IMO, 1) we didn't run bad teams into the ground like we should. It took our starters playing the entire game to beat these weak teams. 2) if we did get a big lead, they seemed hellbent on padding Bray's stats rather than developing the next guy. We're actually lucky that tactic didn't get Bray hurt in a "nothing" situation.

But I do remember him getting the nod against MTSU going 23-32 291 yds 1td. I know it's MTSU, but he did what a good QB should do against them IMO. And he was a freshman. Bray made a living putting up those type numbers against teams like MTSU.

Edit: I'd be willing to bet if we send these freshman to start against Oregon, UF, etc. that there #s won't be much better than Worley's as a freshman.

Last edited:
Worley will surprise a lot of people, they are still judging him of the spring game which is un fair i think he takes takes this team to 7 and 5 and then we are on the way back slowly to the top.

Please no freshman either one could get destroyed by playing against the elite, you can put them in for a while when you got to peay.:)

Need Worley's experience early, especially on the road against .Org and UF. Peterman should be brought in as a change up because of this athleticism. Butch's OC is pretty good at getting QBs up to speed quickly so I think it can be done.

I don't doubt Dobb's upside, but if we have to rely on him this year it is probably a bad sign.

Reactions: 1 person
Worley as long as he stays with the short high percentage passes. Arm strength and lack of experience will put on him the bench if he goes long and does stupid things as I saw in the spring game
.... shorts passes... draws... screens.. will make him a hero otherwise a long season for the vols.. go big orange..

Dobbs will win the job.
Worley will play his way out of the starting line up.
Peterman has the tools, not sure about the light bulb.

You hit the nail on the head with how I feel about it. The only sample size we have is of him as a true freshman against top comp. That SC defense finished 4th nationally that season and were #1 nationally against the pass when we played them. In fact, the SC DC earned a HC job from his job there. Yes he had the pick against Vandy that CP somehow gets a free pass on. Worley never really had the option of mop up duty like most upcoming players normally do. 2 reasons he didn't get mop up time IMO, 1) we didn't run bad teams into the ground like we should. It took our starters playing the entire game to beat these weak teams. 2) if we did get a big lead, they seemed hellbent on padding Bray's stats rather than developing the next guy. We're actually lucky that tactic didn't get Bray hurt in a "nothing" situation.

But I do remember him getting the nod against MTSU going 23-32 291 yds 1td. I know it's MTSU, but he did what a good QB should do against them IMO. And he was a freshman. Bray made a living putting up those type numbers against teams like MTSU.

Edit: I'd be willing to bet if we send these freshman to start against Oregon, UF, etc. that there #s won't be much better than Worley's as a freshman.

that is the schedule every year...if he cant handle it, he cant play here. i know he was a freshman when that happened and maybe he has improved, but tough competition isn't an excuse. clowney is still there and bama still has a good D etc. our schedule will always require good play against top 10 defenses

that is the schedule every year...if he cant handle it, he cant play here. i know he was a freshman when that happened and maybe he has improved, but tough competition isn't an excuse. clowney is still there and bama still has a good D etc. our schedule will always require good play against top 10 defenses

???

everyone keeps saying dont feed the qbs to the really good defenses etc and that worley played bad against really good competition....it is the SEC, we always play against really good defenses

He was a true freshman against 2 Top 5 nationally ranked defenses in Alabama and South Carolina. We were a bad offense with little running game. I'll give you that he didn't play well, on the road, at Arkansas (iirc, he threw what should've been a long TD pass that was dropped that game too) but you gotta admit that he played really well against MTSU... as a true freshman.

I think he's flashed some good things in a very small amount of playing time, for example, vs Vandy... as was mentioned earlier, CP ran the wrong route on the pick 6 and a sure TD pass was dropped on a perfect throw. He sure as hell played better than Bray.

My point is, IMHO, he doesn't deserve the amount of criticism he's gotten given how little he's played. If he starts and sucks then fire away... I just don't think it's warranted yet.

LOL!!!!! That's the weakest argument ever.....ever. Pick your prize up on your way out. A lack luster performance by a true freshman against a top 5 defense doesnt matter? What makes you think these two incoming freshman will do any better against top defenses? I can't wait to hear your message after your last brilliant post.

LOL!!!!! That's the weakest argument ever.....ever. Pick your prize up on your way out. A lack luster performance by a true freshman against a top 5 defense doesnt matter? What makes you think these two incoming freshman will do any better against top defenses? I can't wait to hear your message after your last brilliant post.

why is it a weak argument to say that the defenses in the SEC are the best defenses and he has to be effective against them in order to play? i didnt say he should have no chance based on 3 games 2 years ago. all i said is that if he cant be effective against the best defenses in college football, he has no business being our starting quarterback and we would be better off giving an unknown quarterback a chance to get some experience than someone who we know can't do it.

Reactions: 2 people
He was a true freshman against 2 Top 5 nationally ranked defenses in Alabama and South Carolina. We were a bad offense with little running game. I'll give you that he didn't play well, on the road, at Arkansas (iirc, he threw what should've been a long TD pass that was dropped that game too) but you gotta admit that he played really well against MTSU... as a true freshman.

I think he's flashed some good things in a very small amount of playing time, for example, vs Vandy... as was mentioned earlier, CP ran the wrong route on the pick 6 and a sure TD pass was dropped on a perfect throw. He sure as hell played better than Bray.

My point is, IMHO, he doesn't deserve the amount of criticism he's gotten given how little he's played. If he starts and sucks then fire away... I just don't think it's warranted yet.

im not trying to be critical of him. all i said is that he didn't to anything to impress me or make me think he will absolutely be the starter

This...

You try and tell those Seniors and even Juniors that this year we're just playing for the future.

Play for now, play for the moment, play for TENNESSEE!
Win today!

I feel like Butch has used that phrase too...Something about winning everyday whether it's in the classroom, weight room or practice field. Couldn't be more true.

We might not have the most talented team. But we've got a lot more talent than Butch and most his staff has ever had. I'm going to judge this season on 3 things. Being able to see player development. winning the games we should win. And being able to steal a win from a top team.

why is it a weak argument to say that the defenses in the SEC are the best defenses and he has to be effective against them in order to play? i didnt say he should have no chance based on 3 games 2 years ago. all i said is that if he cant be effective against the best defenses in college football, he has no business being our starting quarterback and we would be better off giving an unknown quarterback a chance to get some experience than someone who we know can't do it.

It's a very week argument in the sense that true freshman QBs generally struggle against top 5 defenses. I'm not sure why you can't comprehend this. He's been thru those struggles which is part of the process that every successful QBs go thru. The same process our current freshman will go thru if we throw them out there. If you don't see a difference in a jr. And fr. QB playing against elite defenses...it's probably best if we end this conversation.

im not trying to be critical of him. all i said is that he didn't to anything to impress me or make me think he will absolutely be the starter

Please keep in mind that he was a TRUE freshman. Peyton didn't impress me much as a freshman either. Lost to Bama too. I remember thinking why in the hell don't they put Brannon Stewart in? Not saying, at all, that Worley is or ever will be Peyton... just that the situations were similar as they started as TRUE freshmen, and their performances need to be evaluated within that context.

What has Peterman or any of the true freshman done to impress you?

Don't get me wrong, I think Peterman has a chance to play this year. However, it's Worley's job to lose and there is just as much of a chance of him not losing it.

Neither of the true freshman should see the field this year and if they do, it doesn't bode well for us.

Please keep in mind that he was a TRUE freshman. Peyton didn't impress me much as a freshman either. Lost to Bama too. I remember thinking why in the hell don't they put Brannon Stewart in? Not saying, at all, that Worley is or ever will be Peyton... just that the situations were similar as they started as TRUE freshmen, and their performances need to be evaluated within that context.

He was a true frosh on a Tennessee team that lost to UK. No o-line, no run game, no Justin Hunter, his number 1 WR dropped balls and destroyed team morale.

Now go out there and win this game son. Or sit the bench for life.

I'd rather just let things play out and trust the coaches to make the best decision for the program. Worley did look better than Peterman in the spring game, but I've learned that spring games can be quite deceiving (see Bray's 5 for 30 performance). People who aren't watching every practice of fall camp from the huddle or sidelines can't truly make an informed decision. So my m.o. will be to wait and see who they trot out there against AP in the first series and cheer for some Big Orange football, whoever the QB might be.

+1 Very well said...In Butch I trust...:hi:

VN Store

Back