Amazon lands The Lord of the Rings TV series

Also, your ordinary orc had a great deal of trouble functioning in daylight.

The Uruks were bigger, stronger, and able to function in daylight.

Note also that in third Lord of the Rings movie, the orcs are able to often kill ordinary soldiers of Gondor in one-on-one combat. Naturally they are cannon fodder for the charging Rohirrim.
so much better than GoT.

so much better than GoT.
It scratches a different itch. If you like fantasy TV it’s a great time to be a viewer right now with House of the Dragon, Witcher, and Rings of Power all running. Get your mystery vibes and fight choreography from the Witcher, your intrigue and drama from HoD, and just pure, epic high fantasy from RoP. The networks think they’re competing with one another but I won’t be surprised if the shows end up feeding each others’ popularity.

It scratches a different itch. If you like fantasy TV it’s a great time to be a viewer right now with House of the Dragon, Witcher, and Rings of Power all running. Get your mystery vibes and fight choreography from the Witcher, your intrigue and drama from HoD, and just pure, epic high fantasy from RoP. The networks think they’re competing with one another but I won’t be surprised if the shows end up feeding each others’ popularity.
Agreed. You don't have to hate one to love the other. I enjoy both for different reasons.

It reminds me of the old Star Trek vs. Star Wars deal. You had to hate one to love the other. I never got that.

Agreed. You don't have to hate one to love the other. I enjoy both for different reasons.

It reminds me of the old Star Trek vs. Star Wars deal. You had to hate one to love the other. I never got that.

Same for Wars/Trek. I always loved both for different reasons. Also Marvel/DC comics or Nintendo/Sega. No reason to limit what you like.

Having said that, my “medieval” fantasy starts and ends with LotR. It’s not my favorite genre so I just don’t get into GoT or other similar stories.

Reactions: Lurkerin
Great episode
was concerned Isildur wouldnt make it to ME😂. Gotta establish Gondor. Really cool seeing how everything is unfolding. Specifically Sauron and the free men who will become Easterlings

Great episode
was concerned Isildur wouldnt make it to ME😂. Gotta establish Gondor. Really cool seeing how everything is unfolding. Specifically Sauron and the free men who will become Easterlings
My only complaint, and it’s a big one is about
the mithril. Elves already had or knew about mithril. But even if they didn’t, there’s no reason that not having should cause the elves to fade and have to leave middle earth. The light of elves aren’t bound to mithril or the silmarils. Nor did a silmaril create mithril.

Last edited:
So far I have been enjoying the series. I agree with a previous poster that the hour-long format is perfect. Really hate it’s only 10 episodes because I want more. I question if this is the true story of Galadriel, but so far I think they found the best actress for the part. I love LotR, but don’t know much about the history because I’m really bad at sitting down to read lol.

this is more interesting (grittier?) than the Peter Jackson treatment. characters have more dimensions.

I'm hooked

I like it a lot. The cities are awe inspiring. The story has me way more hooked than I expected coming in. I was skeptical, but it has yet to let me down.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
I like it a lot. The cities are awe inspiring. The story has me way more hooked than I expected coming in. I was skeptical, but it has yet to let me down.
The history of men, in ME, essentially.

Sauron a fallen elf type, LT of Morgoth.

Yeah, its def interesting.

I am watching episode three which is better than the first two episodes.

Rings of Power has a self-created disadvantage compared to Lord of the Rings because it has to introduce characters and convince us to be interested in them. That is happening gradually for me, at least.

In Lord of the Rings, the viewers who had already read the books had already met Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo, etc. and the actors were so good that I was interested them as soon as the movies introduced them.

Rings of Power has so many new characters (including Galadriel who is very different from the books or the movie).

I am dumbfounded at the amount of people still hating on this show. It has me hooked. I think about it at work and look forward to a new episode.

I would guess the majority (not all) of the negative reviews are by people not actually watching it. There is a cult-like mentality of toxic fans out there and they go review bomb things because.

That’s not to say real criticism doesn’t exist.

I would guess the majority (not all) of the negative reviews are by people not actually watching it. There is a cult-like mentality of toxic fans out there and they go review bomb things because.

That’s not to say real criticism doesn’t exist.
In some ways I like it as much as the movies, sigh.

Character development is super rich and works well in the allocated time slot.

The trilogy is and always will be the goat. But this series easily supplanted any Hobbit films.

I can’t believe there’s only two more episodes left! I’m gonna to rewatch them all together once they’re all out. I think part of the struggle streaming faces is episodes can feel a little disjointed spaced out by a week and following different story arcs, like Galadriel/Numenor/Halbrand, the Harfoots and Elrond/Durin. I can’t wait for that final two. I hope they reveal who Sauron is in the final and end of a cliffhanger.

Filming has started in season two and I can’t wait for it to be out!!

Thoughts though episode three.

Good - Many good landscapes and city scenes (Moria and Numenor)

Good - A very frightening fight between elvish prisoners and a Warg.

Bad - Too many one in a million events that make it look like the writers did not have a good way to fit the story together without them. For example, the raft and the Numenorean ship that show up to rescue Galadriel. The map/secret plan of Sauron that happens to be in Elendil's library. That Halbarad is the king of the men of the south.

Bad - No memorable dialogue.

Good - Acting is good.

Good - Most of the dialogue is good even though it is not memorable.

Bad - Pharazon gives a speech to some tradesmen as though they are his equal. Pharazon is King of Numenor, not a guy running for political office.

Bad - Numenor is hostile to elves because the tradesmen think the elves are going to steal their jobs! Tolkien is very clear that Numenor were envious of elves because people die and elves can don’t unless they are killed in combat or accident.

Bad - Some of the elves have super hero fighting abilities. They were good but not that good.

Good - Costumes and details in the sets.

VN Store

Back