Bishop should be #2 back

A few things going on with Bishop that people aren’t cognizant or purely aware of.

- Colleges backed off because he had waaay too many carries in HS. (which is why Heupel let him sit a whole year to just let his body recuperate)
- Karns didn’t really push for colleges for him. He was going to play with Chadwell and Coastal Carolina and that was that…
- You can check his recruiting thread- and I said that thought Bishop would be a 4 star RB had played with Mater Dei HS out here in California.
- People get caught up on the title of Walk-On or Greyshirt whatever.

Truth is he’s a 5’11 205 lbs Running back that is patient and has really strong leg drive. He catches the ball smoothly and is a threat in the pass game. He’s also fast. 4.47 if I were to guess.

He’s like Josh Jacobs was at Alabama. Surrounded by heavily recruited RBs that were indeed worth their ranking….but he was still just as good. Even though he was 3 star from Oklahoma.

I guess I’m trying to say don’t feel bad if Bishop is outperforming everyone but Sampson. I am also very high on the other RBs but right now Bishop is better than Seldon, Keith, and Lewis….
Just my opinion.

And he’s very underrated. Even when Seldon gets healthy I don’t think he will out perform Bishop. Because Bishop is…better.

It’s very unexpected. But we all shouldn’t feel bad, because…imagine trying to tackle this guy if he went to the transfer portal to Florida or South Carolina. That would really suck.

#18 looks great on him too.

If this were 2013 we’d all be hyping Bishop like I am. But we have some studs in the backfield.
Sit a year to allow him to recuperate is a ridiculous take, he sat a year because he was injured.

He’s one of the best pure athletes on the team.
But he’s still learning RB…
He had 1800 total yards of offense in HS in Virginia. In a weak classification.

He’s never been healthy since he’s arrived.

But he got the surgery he needed so now maybe you will be right. Maybe he will be the beast we hope. He’s not a bust by no stretch of the imagination.

Luckily we have Bishop who took the best shots of the 1st team defense all off-season while Seldon and Lewis healed up.
He wasn't healthy when he arrived on campus?

Bishop just runs angry. That’s an intangible coaches simply can’t teach.

Not sure angry is spot on, I prefer determined. It is his vision and decision making of when to stutter step, when to hit the hole, how to split defenders, when to prioritize getting past the sticks instead of dancing to hit a homerun, and when to mitigate contact by going down or OOB that make him a gamer.

Probably has to rely on his plus minus numbers by extending drives rather than homerun speed like Seldon and Lewis. His endurance in HS was probably made possible by dictating how a carry ended. He did not try to punish defenders, had a different goal, get the most yardage with the least wear and tear so he could run back to formation and do it again on 1st down.

Coaches will decide who goes out there situationally, he will be available for the death by a thousand cuts situations like that back from FL that was a very successful Dallas Cowboy. A four minute guy, not a two minute guy. What the different defenses do to cope with Nico will dictate a lot.

Plenty of catches and carries for ALL our guys in a room that I love. Impacted by the defensive style and abilities of our opponents. They all have strengths to offer. Not all that concerned about the sequence they are used.

But yeah, I was thrilled they kept him home out of fear he would go elsewhere and excel and I would have to deal with a Randal Cobb part #2 saga on here. Prefer the JJ Mc hometown stories. Still hopeful, not confident.

What the hell are you talking about?

5 carries for 60 yards
Seldon 7 carries 47 yards.

What does the amount of carries he have to do with anything?

Why are you so against it??
Because he’s a “walk-on” . He had a full ride to Coastal Carolina…

Speaking of coaches- they have been praising him all year. Literally the whole time Seldon has been healing, Bishop and Keith have carried the load.

So if he runs for another 60 yards and a TD while Seldon runs for 20 yards against NC State will my proclamations be so ridiculous??

You don’t even know why you said that other than “star ranking”. So be quiet 🤫
CJH gets paid millions a year and sees these kids every day. Let him decide who gets the carries and who is RB1, RB2, RB3. Doesn't matter if he's a walk on or 5 star. It's stupid to see a kid touch the ball 5 times and proclaim the coach is wrong. Calm your tits

We have a room full of talent yall. I personally love it. Competition brings out the best in guys who want it. They are all different but are all special in their own ways. 4 of the 5 guys have the ability to take it from anywhere on the field. When is the last time we could say that ?

Reactions: MemphisVol77
12 total carries not nearly enough data to be making these calls. Everyone looked good, this offense will eat, coaches will distro #2 carries pretty evenly IMO until SEC play and right now it's too early to tell who's getting those carries. Saturday will tell us a lot, OU will tell us more.

We have seen 1 game against UTC, CJH has seen all of fall camp. I think we should trust their decisions on depth charts
Nope. VN Warrior+Emotion+4K TV+1 "scrimmage" > Josh Heupel + Last Year + Spring Camp + Off-season + Fall Camp + 4 Scrimmages + The same take from 25 yds distance. C'mon man. You need to understand that. 🤷😉

All sarcasm aside. Our running back room is looking awesome on the eye test.

Last edited:
12 total carries not nearly enough data to be making these calls. Everyone looked good, this offense will eat, coaches will distro #2 carries pretty evenly IMO until SEC play and right now it's too early to tell who's getting those carries. Saturday will tell us a lot, OU will tell us more.
Bingo, it’s way too early for folks to be arguing over who should be 2nd team tailback. Be thankful we have 3-4 back there. The positioning will sort itself out. I think Seldon is still going to prove to be a special player, I liked what I saw in Bishop against Chattanooga. He ran good behind his pads and blockers. Seldon has had very little contact all fall and has done a great job getting back 100 percent as fast as he has. It’s a good problem to have and no reason to be arguing about it after game 1. Heupel and staff see them every day and also no all the details and we fans have seen them one time against Chatty. Sit back and enjoy the ride, it’s gonna be fun! Vols have to ratchet it up this weekend, you can’t let up on any opponent or take anything for granted. Full steam ahead and GBO!

Bingo, it’s way too early for folks to be arguing over who should be 2nd team tailback. Be thankful we have 3-4 back there. The positioning will sort itself out. I think Seldon is still going to prove to be a special player, I liked what I saw in Bishop against Chattanooga. He ran good behind his pads and blockers. Seldon has had very little contact all fall and has done a great job getting back 100 percent as fast as he has. It’s a good problem to have and no reason to be arguing about it after game 1. Heupel and staff see them every day and also no all the details and we fans have seen them one time against Chatty. Sit back and enjoy the ride, it’s gonna be fun! Vols have to ratchet it up this weekend, you can’t let up on any opponent or take anything for granted. Full steam ahead and GBO!
Well said 👍🏾

Bingo, well said.

Reactions: TnScooby
I think NC State defense might be better than OUs…maybe not, but they were a hell of a lot better than Chattanoogas

Here’s the he thing- Where is Seldon?
Bishop took 10 carries tonight and most of them the defense knew he was getting the ball. Two things with that 1) That’s 10 carries that Sampson didn’t have to take. That’s huge!
2) He again kept the offense on schedule and the clock running despite the defense knowing he would get it.
TWO time the defense bit on play action from Bishop and Nico hit the TEs for TDs
He runs hard!

And he’s available…
“Upper body injury” for Seldon.

Right now we have Sampson and Bishop at RB that can keep the offense in schedule.

Bishop showed up tonight…

He wasn't healthy when he arrived on campus?
He was held out most of spring 2023.
Then he posted a video of himself training during his spring break and then he began to take contact. He had a decent Orange and White game.
Was in and out during fall camp 2023.
Played sparingly in 2023
Shoulder surgery in December 2023?? January 2024?

But now he’s been unavailable for the most part while Bishop and Keith have been carrying the practice load.

You can’t just expect to jump out there and rush for 100 yards and you haven’t been carrying the rock in practice. Bishop got hit! He got fell on and twisted up tonight and popped out right back up! Why? Because his body has been conditioned for that. Through hundreds of practice carries this off-season.

Reactions: Plove23
Bishop is a key player and plays like a veteran. He is why Vols had no urgency to take a RB in transfer portal. Quite a story too. Seldon has skills but his body has not cooperated to the demands of being an SEC running back. Lewis and Keith add serious talent and depth but Bishop may be the tandem back with Sampson and prove quite effective.

This whole entire thread is a moot point when the other RB is hurt. Weird bumps

But I do agree bishop is looking great! Happy with our situation hope cam can get back soon for us. Another weapon
I still believe Keith is fourth in that order with Seldon, available and third without. Peyton Lewis got carries before him yesterday, but he needs a full off-season imo.

This whole entire thread is a moot point when the other RB is hurt. Weird bumps

But I do agree bishop is looking great! Happy with our situation hope cam can get back soon for us. Another weapon
The point was Bishop is the number 2 back, and it ain’t because of injury. It’s because he’s the 2nd best back…

That’s it. You and everybody else got all twisted up about it and started bring Seldon injured yarabyadada dyada bs…

Yeah I bumped it, because you all need to show Bishop some respect.

He’s better than Seldon, Keith, and Lewis (right now)

Bishop is a key player and plays like a veteran. He is why Vols had no urgency to take a RB in transfer portal. Quite a story too. Seldon has skills but his body has not cooperated to the demands of being an SEC running back. Lewis and Keith add serious talent and depth but Bishop may be the tandem back with Sampson and prove quite effective.
Thank you.

I’m glad somebody can see that. It is what it is.

VN Store

Back