Buttigieg wants to tax how much you drive

I lived in Hunstville/Athens area for 7 years and I had forgotten them. I think that highway was fairly new at the time as well. No idea of Rocket City now as I have not been there for 17 years.

Living in Buford GA now and having to drive the NE GA region I wich it was as bad as Chatt.

Got popped Thursday for a 65 in a 45 just a mile from home on a 3/4 lane road where 45 is ridiculous. SOB.

I don't envy anyone driving in the Atlanta area - the only good part is more lanes. I bought my last car in Kennesaw, and since I'm on the south side of Chattanooga and the dealership was downtown Chattanooga, I actually drove to dealer in Kennesaw the first few times for maintenance. It was a twofer because my wife would want to go places like the Container Store, etc. Within 3-4 years the continued growth on the north side of Atlanta made me decide it just wasn't worth it even if I didn't care for the dealer in Chattanooga.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I don't envy anyone driving in the Atlanta area - the only good part is more lanes. I bought my last car in Kennesaw, and since I'm on the south side of Chattanooga and the dealership was downtown Chattanooga, I actually drove to dealer in Kennesaw the first few times for maintenance. It was a twofer because my wife would want to go places like the Container Store, etc. Within 3-4 years the continued growth on the north side of Atlanta made me decide it just wasn't worth it even if I didn't care for the dealer in Chattanooga.

I read this morning as well some $1,8B GA proposal to install truck only lanes on I-75 in Atlanta Metro North. Even No. GA clamoring for it to be extended. If we could segregate commercial traffic from peronnal traffic would solve alot of congestion IMO, no matter where, but especially in Hill country

Reactions: AM64
It makes Big Brother Big Again. Anything the government does to make a simple solution more complex always grows the bureaucracy necessary to manage it - so you in essence pay for whatever "benefit" twice because of the added overhead.
This axiom is as true as the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Well, I did a remote boot camp and did well enough. As promised there were a few job offers from the jump.

I elected to pass. After a lot of research and weighing outcomes, I think the industry is going to bounce back as early as Q3 this year. I'm going to enjoy another couple of months of time off, keep roadtripping, and go do a backpack through El Yunque jungle. My previous restaurant group is opening up a new joint and I'm considering a working partnership.
@DinkinFlicka There in Puerto Rico?

I would be in good shape since I don't work and my commuting has been condensed to a grandfatherly jaunt to the grocery store and an occasional trip to town since covid was introduced by the democrats.

Hey as long as they drop the gasoline tax then I’m probably better off. The most expensive gas I buy is 91 octane pure gas for my bass boat!

Reactions: StarRaider
I’m good with that, I think bicycles should be taxed heavily.

Why do bicycles need to be taxed "heavily"? I'm not opposed to bicycles paying a share, say through registration etc. But the real wear and tear on roads/bike paths etc. is from the weight of the vehicle using the road/bike path. Hence, once bikeways are established, maintenance is minimal compared to roads with heavy trucks, etc.

Why do bicycles need to be taxed "heavily"? I'm not opposed to bicycles paying a share, say through registration etc. But the real wear and tear on roads/bike paths etc. is from the weight of the vehicle using the road/bike path. Hence, once bikeways are established, maintenance is minimal compared to roads with heavy trucks, etc.

When you take part of the road and mark it for bicycles only, then people ought to "pay their fair share" - right? I'd tax the heck out of those trees and flowers planted in islands in the street that used to be for traffic, too. Liberal lunacy going for fashion over utility.

Bicyclists are a safety hazard and they suck as people. You should get points for running over them.

When you take part of the road and mark it for bicycles only, then people ought to "pay their fair share" - right? I'd tax the heck out of those trees and flowers planted in islands in the street that used to be for traffic, too. Liberal lunacy going for fashion over utility.

If you assume usage fee should be designed to provide maintenance of the highway system and that the weight of the vehicle is the primary factor in road wear and tear, then considering that the average car weighs 4000 pounds and the average bicycle weighs 30 (4000/30 = 800), bicycles should pay 1/800th as much as cars. On they high side, car owners pay under $400 a year in gas tax, so $400/800 = $0.50 per bicycle per year. That's fine with me.

You know what the really strange thing I've noticed as of late?

For these alleged rabidly anti-homosexual Republicans in Congress, they sure have gone out of their way to avoid asking him about his personal relationships. I mean, it's like they don't even care about his gayness infecting others and are focusing more on policy than the really important concerns.

Man, I expected the gay bashing to start up front with them the way the Democrats built them up to monster levels just waiting to toss them into the death camps with other "undesirables." I'm really disappointed.

Ones with internal combustion engines. Wouldn’t be caught dead peddling a child’s toy.

I saw a skate board with an internal combustion engine shoot by in the bike lane about a month ago. The guy was texting at the same time.

VN Store

Back