I'll have to hand it to CBJ - he knows how to handle a loss

That is exactly right, we play one of the toughest schedules in the country with no QB and a bunch of very young players. He is recruiting like there is no tomorrow unlike Dooley and his team is disciplined. We can argue game plan all day but even with a great plan if you have a QB who can't make a play it doesn't matter. I was mad we punted the ball with 4th and one but that is like crying about spilling gravy on your jacket after you spilled wine all over it. Jones will get it done but it is going to be a long season.

Results... results... results.... results....

You... Excusing a coach for losing with young players and holes in the depth chart? Really? YOU expressing blind faith? By no stretch of the imagination is this team even CLOSE to being as dependent on young players as Dooley's first two... so what gives with you?

You are doing the very things you FALSELY accused me of doing for simply suggesting we let the process play out with Dooley before seeing him fired.

Georgia Tech

Washington

Maybe -> Notre Dame to some extent

Arkansas?

Kansas State? (not really as good UT's has been though)

Pitt

Nebraska

Southern Cal

Stanford

UCLA

Florida Fightin' Zooks

Alabama Fightin' Shulas & Franchiones

Va. Tech?

Anyone capable of putting aside emotion and denial will see that sjt is making a very good point. CBJ & co did not have a great coaching day at Autzen. It is too early to condemn, but until some substantive evidence to the contrary surfaces it is entirely appropriate to question as sjt is doing.

And, no, substantive evidence does not consist of taking a job that quadruples your salary, wearing an orange tie, playing with bricks, or saying good things in a press conference.

Reactions: 7 people
Anyone capable of putting aside emotion and denial will see that sjt is making a very good point. CBJ & co did not have a great coaching day at Autzen. It is too early to condemn, but until some substantive evidence to the contrary surfaces it is entirely appropriate to question as sjt is doing.

And, no, substantive evidence does not consist of taking a job that quadruples your salary, wearing an orange tie, playing with bricks, or saying good things in a press conference.

The instant gratification crowd is just going to have to wait it out. Can't help you there. Hey, you can always follow Bama for a year or two.:eek:lol: j/k

Georgia Tech

Washington

Maybe -> Notre Dame to some extent

Arkansas?

Kansas State? (not really as good UT's has been though)

Pitt

Nebraska

Southern Cal

Stanford

UCLA

Florida Fightin' Zooks

Alabama Fightin' Shulas & Franchiones

Va. Tech?

I'm in no way saying that there haven't been good teams that obviously lost their way.....But I mean for a team to lose it as quickly as UT did, Just so man bad decisions that lead to more bad decisions.

Results... results... results.... results....

You... Excusing a coach for losing with young players and holes in the depth chart? Really? YOU expressing blind faith? By no stretch of the imagination is this team even CLOSE to being as dependent on young players as Dooley's first two... so what gives with you?

You are doing the very things you FALSELY accused me of doing for simply suggesting we let the process play out with Dooley before seeing him fired.

Not true. Let's look at Jones versus Dooley a month in. Jones has brought VFL back into the fold so they don't have to call and make an appt. He has a top 3 recruiting class which Dooley never sniffed, and the players have bought in because they are not being thrown under the bus. The only thing Dooley might have done better is design and decorate his office. There is just no comparison in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 people

Reactions: 1 person
I'm in no way saying that there haven't been good teams that obviously lost their way.....But I mean for a team to lose it as quickly as UT did, Just so man bad decisions that lead to more bad decisions.

they are called risks unless you have the unappreciated benefit of hindsight, in which case you can trick your ignorant self into thinking that you knew something more than those people whose livelihood is dependent on these decisions did. jackassery me-boy, jackassery

The instant gratification crowd is just going to have to wait it out. Can't help you there. Hey, you can always follow Bama for a year or two.:eek:lol: j/k

Instant gratification? Some of us have been here arguing basically the same level of failure for... YEARS. I haven't seen a soul demand an SEC championship this year. NOT one has said UT should win 10 games that I am aware of.

But to make a credible showing.... to play to their talent level... to NOT take a historic margin of loss against the first real competition you play.... that's not unreasonable or an expectation of "instant gratification".

This whole start to Jones' tenure is just WAY too deja vu to me.... and what will it suggest if he only wins six games like Dooley?

I'm not at all sure we win 6 games this year. In fact I think 5 will be a challenge and myself and many others realized that sometime ago based on schedule, personel and a new coaching staff. Himself the Elf Nick Saban could have done no better this year with the situation at hand.

Not true. Let's look at Jones versus Dooley a month in. Jones has brought VFL back into the fold so they don't have to call and make an appt.
Nice... but it doesn't win games.
He has a top 3 recruiting class which Dooley never sniffed,
That's nice. But they will only be as good as their coaching... and Saturday did NOT reflect great coaching.
and the players have bought in because they are not being thrown under the bus.
That's interesting. maybe you should go read Freak's synopsis of Jones' comments. There are MANY that lay the blame for Saturday on the players and FEW that point to the coaching staff or Jones himself.

The only thing Dooley might have done better is design and decorate his office. There is just no comparison in my opinion.

I don't really care for him doing equal to Dooley. He has to be BETTER than Dooley... right? We now have one and ONLY one real piece of evidence to compare. Both were blown out by great Oregon teams... Dooley just managed to make it a game for a half rather than 6 minutes.

You still haven't explained why you are making excuses rather than accepting that he coached very poorly in that game... and that we DON'T know if that is an aberration or a real reflection of his ability.

He out coached Big East coaches and MAC coaches... he's now coaching against the best there are in college football. The proving starts here and now... not in the past.

I'm not at all sure we win 6 games this year. In fact I think 5 will be a challenge and myself and many others realized that sometime ago based on schedule, personel and a new coaching staff. Himself the Elf Nick Saban could have done no better this year with the situation at hand.

I've been in that same boat for months. This year is probably about changing culture more than wins.

I understand the impulse to use gimmicks to say be more competitive in the Oregon game, but how does the team profit from this long term. Oregon left me with doubts, it also educated me to Jones approach to building a solid team that does not resort to gimmicks. I think its work. Whether Jones gets it done, time will tell. And maybe handling a loss or not handling a loss is irrelevant but its not called rebuilding for nothing.

Last edited:
Apparently if that's all you've got then I understand it quite a bit better than you. You make some incoherent comment about comas... then can't explain what you mean.
If you can't figure out what I was implying there, well, I don't know what to tell you.

I understand just fine... and unlike you apparently I see just fine. Bluster and BS are all fine and dandy as long as you back them up with performance. I want Jones to succeed. I like Jones. But all he's done so far at UT is talk.... he and his staff laid an egg Saturday.
You're ridiculous. It was their third game of the year, in Oregon, against a potential national championship team and so forth and so on. I'm not sure what you were expecting the outcome to be, but I'm pretty sure it was ridiculous if you're all pissy about that game.

I've asked others... Give me one reason from what we saw Saturday that I should have faith that he's "the guy" to win championships at UT. No one else has given me a reason. Maybe you will.
I see a lot of little things that give me a little hope. If you can't, then again, I don't know what to tell you.

I WANT to believe. I am NOT making any kind of final judgment. But what we saw Saturday coaching wise is NOT distinguishable in quality from what we have seen through Fulmer's decline and Dooley's tenure.
Then believe and shut up. It's really that simple. Things will play themselves out regardless. Don't sit there and talk about how you're not passing judgement when that's all you're doing.

Can you tell me anything of real substance that shows a break from the past results?
Again, what is it exactly that you wanted from the coaching staff? To go for it on a fourth down? Is that why you're all upset? There was no way we were going to win that game with what we have. You can talk about scheming all you want, but when we have walk-ons playing against Oregon's first string, it's not going to end well. Perhaps you should temper your expectations this season. You're not going to survive at this rate.

Reactions: 7 people
You still haven't explained why you are making excuses rather than accepting that he coached very poorly in that game... and that we DON'T know if that is an aberration or a real reflection of his ability.

Probably because he stopped giving a crap about having the same circular argument with you.

I'm not at all sure we win 6 games this year. In fact I think 5 will be a challenge and myself and many others realized that sometime ago based on schedule, personel and a new coaching staff.
Roster- no worse than equal to what Dooley had in '10. Schedule- roughly equal to '10. If Jones is a better coach then he should perform better.

Himself the Elf Nick Saban could have done no better this year with the situation at hand.

Maybe... maybe not... but his rings say he probably could.

Reactions: 2 people
Instant gratification? Some of us have been here arguing basically the same level of failure for... YEARS. I haven't seen a soul demand an SEC championship this year. NOT one has said UT should win 10 games that I am aware of.

But to make a credible showing.... to play to their talent level... to NOT take a historic margin of loss against the first real competition you play.... that's not unreasonable or an expectation of "instant gratification".

Those of us who have been walking The Hill for decades, not years, have seen so many ups and downs (pun intended) just like this one understand what is taking place. This ain't our first rodeo. Those that can't stomach the ride need to get off the train. I think that is the most cliche's I have used at one time since I last unbuckled a chin strap. LOL:whistling:

Your reaction to this loss has been surprising as you are typically very reasonable and measured.

Not responding to this post per se but in general.

It was rough to watch, no doubt, but all things considered I'm still convinced CBJ is the guy.

Probably because he stopped giving a crap about having the same circular argument with you.

No. He never approached an answer to the question.... and as far as I know we haven't had any contact here for awhile until just a few posts ago.

What is your deal? I question the blind faith in Jones and you get offended whether I am talking to you or someone else.

they are called risks unless you have the unappreciated benefit of hindsight, in which case you can trick your ignorant self into thinking that you knew something more than those people whose livelihood is dependent on these decisions did. jackassery me-boy, jackassery

Haha, Errr....I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here...Of course no one realized the decisions which were being made at the time were horrible ones (well atleast not as horrible as it all came to be)...I'm not sure where you are getting that I'm saying I knew more than anyone who made the decisions at the time.

But we in fact do have the benefit in hindsight now, so I feel pretty confident in calling a bad decision just that....

So to call me a jackass for calling a spade a spade is pretty much the definition of "Jackassery"...me-boy

VN Store

Back