Still think Bray is better than Ainge??

If you had a choice, who would you rather have at QB this year, Bray or Ainge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Arm strength, Bray.
Progression, Bray.
Mental toughness, Ainge
For me it's 2-1 Bray, but Ainge just found a way to win and his running game and OL was better than what we have now. Bottom line is, let's finish the season and then have this conversation.

VFL!
Cutcliff had to create a 3 step offense because Ainge was a head case after the ND game. He would panic when the pocket closed in on him. He was never the same after that game.
Give Bray 3 years of Cut and I think we would see a very different QB

Ainge was never the same after the ND game his freshmen year. Shoulder injury definitely affected him.

You really should go look at the numbers. He and Peyton have the best 4 seasons throwing the ball in UT history (or at least the 4 most productive). Ainge was the perfect QB for Cutcliffe's system.

lol

Ainge had all the physical skills, but was a chokemeister.

And Bray isn't? Ainge never lost to Kentucky and, again, beat Bama, Florida, and Georgia (in the same season). He has more SEC wins than Bray will have, two SEC East titles, 3 bowl appearances (2 performances and a win), and a winning record.

Surely you don't.

By my count, Ainge mailed it in once... at LSU 05' and that was more of just a dumb@ss play and momentary mental breakdown... and don't say LSU 07' because, again, that too was just a horrible throw.

IMO,,, i'd much rather have Ainge than Bray... but that's not possible so here we come 7-5, 5-7...

That pass in '05 will forever be stuck in my memory bank. I will always remember that game and play and where I was when I saw it. I will always remember Ainge for that Play. So for that moment alone...I have to go with Bray.

And Bray isn't? Ainge never lost to Kentucky and, again, beat Bama, Florida, and Georgia (in the same season). He has more SEC wins than Bray will have, two SEC East titles, 3 bowl appearances (2 performances and a win), and a winning record.

Ainge also had a lot better team around him than Bray has now.

True. But I don't see Ainge missing that many open receivers, and turning the ball over three times (and not on downs, that'd be more acceptable) on the final 3 drives to try to tie the game. In fact, he never did that, and has put together game winning/tying drives.

Reactions: 1 person

Ainge had a terrible receiving corps in 2008. He had Meachum before that. Bray has had Hunter and Rogers, Rogers, and now had CP and Hunter.

Ainge was on a team with better defenses, though.

Reactions: 2 people
Ainge had a terrible receiving corps in 2008. He had Meachum before that. Bray has had Hunter and Rogers, Rogers, and now had CP and Hunter.

Ainge wasn't QB in '08.

Bray hasn't had the talent surrounding him Ainge had the most part of his career. Some people would ***** about any QB that doesn't go undefeated. People *****ed about Manning after every Florida game. So stupid discussion all together!

Has CP caught a pass yet? Nobody looks as good missing a pass as this dude! I would think it was Randy Moss out there minus the miss. J/K by the way.

Last edited:
No, but he did have Gerald Jones, Austin Rogers, Josh Briscoe, and Lucas Taylor. Still not the same caliber that Bray gets to throw to.

I noticed no one is mentioning that Ainge had more versatile schemes & better power backs to run play action off of.

Bray hasn't had the talent surrounding him Ainge had the most part of his career. Some people would ***** about any QB that doesn't go undefeated. People *****ed about Manning after every Florida game. So stupid discussion all together!

No, but a good quarterback can make his receivers look good. Ainge 2007 is the perfect example of that. However, I don't expect him to go undefeated, but I do expect a junior "leader" to give his team a chance to successfully complete a game winning/tying drive. Or at the very least not give up or turn the ball over 3 times in the last 3 possessions.

Reactions: 1 person
No, but a good quarterback can make his receivers look good. Ainge 2007 is the perfect example of that. However, I don't expect him to go undefeated, but I do expect a junior "leader" to give his team a chance to successfully complete a game winning/tying drive. Or at the very least not give up or turn the ball over 3 times in the last 3 possessions.

I can agree with this. In his defense Tyler has sat out or been hurt during most big games so far in his career at UT, leading me to believe that the screw ups at the end of this years Georgia game was a result of pressure he's putting on himself to do good. I think it would be good for him to finish out this season healthy and come back next year. Then he would be the more mature leader we all are expecting him to be this year.

The finger injury in the Cal game was bad to. First game of 07' I think.

To be honest, it hurts a bit to think about what Ainge's career could have been were he not injured against ND and that finger injury. Knowing what we know now if he had ended up with none of those injuries he might still be an NFL player.

As for Bray I think he's a phenomenal talent. I also think he is playing on a team that is significantly worse than the ones Ainge played on. Hard to blame him for much of anything considering the points that some of these teams are putting on the board against us.

From the UT record book:
Completion percentage—

Min. 300 atts.—67.0, Erik Ainge 2006 (233 of 348)
Min. 400 atts.—62.6, Erik Ainge 2007 (325 of 519)

Lowest interception percentage—
Min. 400 atts.—1,93, Erik Ainge 2007 (10 in 519 atts.)

He had the 2nd and 4th most yards and 2nd and 4th most TDs. (With Peyton 1st and 3rd on both lists.)
31 tds the year after Meachem bailed on him.

I like Bray, but so far he's not near Ainge production-wise.

Oh, and while I did vote for Ainge, the part of the question that slows me down is who I'd want THIS year. I think Bray may be more suited to Chaney's system this year than Ainge would have been, but I'd definitely want Ainge if we had Cutcliffe.

And Bray isn't? Ainge never lost to Kentucky and, again, beat Bama, Florida, and Georgia (in the same season).

Again, Ainge had a team around him that was 100 times better than this team.

Try to use some critical thinking skills.

VN Store

Back