Student football tickets

You may or may not see it in all it's glory the way God Himself intended it to be, packed with students going crazy.

screw you mh! my first game in knoxville and no students! bs! well maybe its the only way to get idiots attention by not showing up to games.

screw you mh! my first game in knoxville and no students! bs! well maybe its the only way to get idiots attention by not showing up to games.

IMO you will not see any difference in student attendance. They will be a couple hundred who think they're making a statement but they are easily replaced.

IMO you will not see any difference in student attendance. They will be a couple hundred who think they're making a statement but they are easily replaced.

Very true. The tickets will be grabbed by non-students(albeit by sit on your hands fans), at twice the ticket price.

They turn about a $200K "profit" on a ~$2.5M budget. So, no.

I am most definitely for taking the men's and women's golf and tennis teams off of the UTAD books. Last thing I want my money going to is some country club hobby for these kids. If they want to play golf and/or tennis, then they should do what the majority of golf/tennis players do...shell out their own money.

Only problem is cutting these programs might get us kicked out of Division 1 athletics.

Division I member institutions have to sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender.

I am one of those people who will go to all of the football games no matter what. Maybe I just come to school for free (well, not really, got some loans, but not worry about that right now). I can even pay more if I can always get good seats in section C, D and E. But I do realize that I may have to go to the game alone, since none of my friends would go with me anymore.

Very true. The tickets will be grabbed by non-students(albeit by sit on your hands fans), at twice the ticket price.

so? If students are given the 1st shot and decline then what's wrong with the univ making money? I would have gladly paid for the privilege of going to fball games (even with the activities fee). I could have easily covered the $90 in one shift

so? If students are given the 1st shot and decline then what's wrong with the univ making money? I would have gladly paid for the privilege of going to fball games (even with the activities fee). I could have easily covered the $90 in one shift

I was agreeing with you in the first place.

Just stating the obvious, that the tickets will not go unused (unless we're talking high upper-level tickets. to Kentucky, during a half-ass season).

I'm disappointed about the $90 price, but if they get rid of the random seating and go to one seat for the season I'll be mad.

The day before this announcement Mike Hamilton met with the SGA and did not mention this. Not that they could have done anything about it. I think it warranted a mention.

Also, giving Fulmer a raise on the backs of the students does not sit well with many.

I don't disagree with any of that I don't think. The bolded part is a little confusing though.

What I was referring to was our trips to play at Cal and UCLA. We pay to fly the team and all sorts of additional people out to California for these games.

I'm currently taking Sport Management classes and we had one of the business guys from the athletic office come talk to us about their budget and I can't find the sheet but the amount of money we spend merely on the transportation of the team, band, cheerleaders, etc. is astronomical. I suppose I understand how playing teams out there helps us in a sense but I'm not sure it's worth it in the big picture.

I suppose I understand how playing teams out there helps us in a sense but I'm not sure it's worth it in the big picture.

Yeah let's become UGA and not leave the South for 40 yrs. We have such strong in-state recruiting that we don't need the exposure.

Good to see someone here understands the big picture. Hamilton would be thrilled if students buy these tickets in small numbers. It allows him to take a commodity that was previously not generating appreciable revenue for the football program and slap a 60+ dollar per game price tag, and at least an annual donation of a thousand bucks, on it.

I completely understand the benefit of having fewer student tickets AND being able to sell the left overs for $60+ per. I think that what I hate to see is how much of a business college athletics are (even though I'm a Sport Management major and that hopefully will be my career in the near future). We get all wrapped up in these sports and in this case lose track of the fact that these are COLLEGE sports. These events are a school function, or once were anyway. I feel like the athletic departments have shifted the focus from the students to the money. We are paying Big Phil more and more because other schools are paying their coaches more and more. Where is the ceiling on that? If that trend continues as well as other price increases in other areas the $90 is just the beginning. Every year tuition already increases significantly, so whats to say that the $90 won't be $100 next year, and then $120, etc. If I felt like the students were being directly benefited by any of the changes at football games I would find it more reasonable to NOW have to start paying.

Yeah let's become UGA and not leave the South for 40 yrs. We have such strong in-state recruiting that we don't need the exposure.

Hahaha how many big impact players have we gotten from the West coast (and I know Ainge and the Clausens, but they are all jokes)? Like I said, I understand the benefit of going out there, but it almost directly may end up correlating to fewer students going to home games. Isn't that kind of the point of these college sports?

Hahaha how many big impact players have we gotten from the West coast (and I know Ainge and the Clausens, but they are all jokes)? Like I said, I understand the benefit of going out there, but it almost directly may end up correlating to fewer students going to home games. Isn't that kind of the point of these college sports?

First, I'd love to know how the Ainge or the Clausens are a joke. Also, UT gets players from all over the country (including Cali). By playing UCLA instead of a directional school we get exposure on national TV. That translates into more potential recruits seeing UT and becoming interested.

If you really are a sports mgmt major then how can you still be in school if you think college sports are about anything but money?

Well, I pissed off the facebook group about tickets. It's funny, they whine and moan and complain, but when I offer my opinion, I get personally attacked. If those are the people that won't show up, I might just like this new system...

it sucks for the students, but i think if i were there i'd be mad, but its ut football i'd pay. i guess thats sad. if NIU did that i wouldn't pay.

First, I'd love to know how the Ainge or the Clausens are a joke. Also, UT gets players from all over the country (including Cali). By playing UCLA instead of a directional school we get exposure on national TV. That translates into more potential recruits seeing UT and becoming interested.

If you really are a sports mgmt major then how can you still be in school if you think college sports are about anything but money?

I'm saying that I recognize that reality but hate it.

And I'm fully aware of how many players come from all over the country. I just don't understand why we have to fly out to California specifically. How many recruits does that one game really attract? Why not play someone at least a little closer like we are in the future already like Nebraska or Oklahoma and still get the same exact exposure? I don't think too many top prospects out there when considering their options are like "hmm I've never heard of this Tennessee program, I bet they aren't even worth considering". I know they want to go where they are going to get the most exposure as well but we can achieve that a lot closer than California.

I try to post facts over there, but instead I just get IT"S NOT FAIR WE PAY A FEEEEEE WAHHHHH.

Facts:
The AD gives 1.3 million + per year to student scholarships, and another 1.5+ to the system.

Our 100 fee does not go to the men's AD in any way, shape, or form.

Our tuition at UT is cheap, supplemented by state funds. We pay just over 5k each, the state gives over 7k each.

90.00 is a trivial amount of money. Skip Moe's or the bars once a week, and you'll save way more than 15.00/wk.

Students here (and Tennesseans in general) will complain about anything to do with money, regardless of the fact they come off as idiots. Anyone offering dissident thought is welcomed with personal attacks, false claims, and told they should just leave UT if they don't like it. GOD, I hope these guys don't get to graduate from my university.

We've been getting it cheap and easy for years, and now that the AD and UT has to worry about such trivial things like budgets and money, everyone would rather whine.

I guess just like everyone is a lawyer and a doctor, they're also accountants.

I try to post facts over there, but instead I just get IT"S NOT FAIR WE PAY A FEEEEEE WAHHHHH.

Facts:
The AD gives 1.3 million + per year to student scholarships, and another 1.5+ to the system.

Our tuition at UT is cheap, supplemented by state funds. We pay just over 5k each, the state gives over 7k each.

90.00 is a trivial amount of money. Skip Moe's or the bars once a week, and you'll save way more than 15.00/wk.

Students here (and Tennesseans in general) will complain about anything to do with money, regardless of the fact they come off as idiots. Anyone offering dissident thought is welcomed with personal attacks, false claims, and told they should just leave UT if they don't like it. GOD, I hope these guys don't get to graduate from my university.

We've been getting it cheap and easy for years, and now that the AD and UT has to worry about such trivial things like budgets and money, everyone would rather whine.

so you are the idiot posting junk over there, brilliant

Facts:

you are right my tuition at 17000 a year is cheap, good one

you are right my tuition at 17000 a year is cheap, good one

Yep, I'm an idiot. You caught me. Understanding the need to raise income to meed increased costs is the sure sign of being dumb.

In-state tuition at UT is very cheap, compared with other schools. Out of state tuition is pretty-well on par, I imagine, with other schools. At 17000, though, what's another 90.00?

I think you'll find that it's pretty easy to come up with 90.00 between now and September.

The only wrong done to us by the AD is the way they told everyone about it. However, it's no surprise to me. Athletics are a business, and it's not like this fee is being forced upon us. It's a choice. Just consider it an early young alumni program.

Why not play someone at least a little closer like we are in the future already like Nebraska or Oklahoma and still get the same exact exposure? I don't think too many top prospects out there when considering their options are like "hmm I've never heard of this Tennessee program, I bet they aren't even worth considering". I know they want to go where they are going to get the most exposure as well but we can achieve that a lot closer than California.

Do you really think it's that much cheaper to send the same amount of people to OU or Neb than to LA? I would bet the travel expenses are pretty close.

And it's about seeing the team on TV playing somebody. Recruits want to showcase their talent on the tube and this shows them they get that opportunity at UT. It all about exposure and UT has been very good at it for a number of years.

VN Store

Back