Team Issue…

Just an outsider's opinion.
It's the Jimmies and Joes. Hooker was good enough to overcome this, Milton is not.
UGA usually has 18-22 5 stars, this year only 14.

UGA has signed 19 5 stars in the past 4 years, UT 1. Championships are won on NSD

Reactions: KTrain and Vol524
Just an outsider's opinion.
It's the Jimmies and Joes. Hooker was good enough to overcome this, Milton is not.
UGA usually has 18-22 5 stars, this year only 14.

UGA has signed 19 5 stars in the past 4 years, UT 1. Championships are won on NSD
Good point and our 5 star hasn’t even seen the field.

I don’t think this is about horrible QB play as much as it is, horrible play calling. It’s a much bigger issue than one player - we have no creativity, no scheme, no plan to attack the defense’s weakness - and they all have weaknesses. We have bought into the legend of the three-headed monster at running back and are now slave to that narrative. Yes, we run the ball well most of the time. But we don’t have to run on first and second down every series - especially when we are trailing. The person calling the plays on Offense - whether it’s Heupel or the OC - that’s the problem. No imagination, no creativity, NO PLAN of attack. If that doesn’t change it won’t matter what level of talent we have - we will be a predictable, boring offense that a good juco defense could scheme against and win. We saw that almost happen in a game earlier this year. They had a plan to attack our defense with a creative game plan and we almost sh*t the bed. We need a new, dynamic play caller that has experience and a clue about how to get after a defense with changes made play-to-play, series-to-series and every quarter of the game - no stop. They adjust, we adjust. The adjust more, we adjust even more than they do. Otherwise, we will see this film over and over and never like the ending…. GBO!

Coaches call plays that they feel the players can execute.

It should be obvious to those watching that the play callers hands are tied to some degree. It feels like they are absolutely terrified to throw the ball into the middle of the field, which defenses seem to have figured out. Coaches only seem to throw bubbles, outs and posts, which usually result in an incomplete if overthrown. Passes overthrown in the middle of the field usually get picked off. This suggests to me that they have no confidence to call those plays.

Reactions: GameTime
These guys are fighting their butts off.

"No heart" is a lame excuse for not playing well. This isn't Rudy. It turns out our roster isn't where it needs to be and injuries killed us. The guys on the bench in 2nd and 3rd string aren't ready to ball.

This is fixed over time and in the portal.

First quarter UT was in the game, given Tennessee is thin at all positions on defense I would say it happens much earlier.

Only because we ripped off one long TD on a UGA bust. They went right down the field and only kicked a FG because they made a mistake and lost a bunch of yards on an unforced fumble recovery.

Yes we went 3nO but they promptly went down the field for a TD. Picking up 2 or 3 3rd downs on the drive with ease. That’s not Joe’s fault.

I’m not saying Joe did anything to help us win but he was far from the only problem.

So why has the defense been non existence two games in a row?
They haven’t. Like the other post said,
How many years you gotta watch football to figure out a thin average D to begin with losses LB1,DB1 amongst others ,
Playing hard against better than them offensive teams, our offense scoring practically nothing and going 3 and out mostly, wearing them down, so yeah they are shredded after halftime.

Lack of speed
Banks can’t coach up what he has
The DB’s are awful

And to make it 10x worse, they don’t even get a water break before it’s time to go back on the field……because the offense has a mantra of 3 n out in under 30 seconds.
I think the 3 and outs hurt as much as anything

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Only because we ripped off one long TD on a UGA bust. They went right down the field and only kicked a FG because they made a mistake and lost a bunch of yards on an unforced fumble recovery.

Yes we went 3nO but they promptly went down the field for a TD. Picking up 2 or 3 3rd downs on the drive with ease. That’s not Joe’s fault.

I’m not saying Joe did anything to help us win but he was far from the only problem.
Joe is a huge problem, he just doesn't have it between the ears

Everyone can say Milton is the problem but both the offense and defense is clearly lacking confidence.

There’s no heart, no fight, no energy surrounding this team.

Is there a distraction going on? Who knows but something is definitely not right with this staff that just won 11 games last year.
The problem is there doesn't appear to be a team LEADER on either side of the ball.

Reactions: tbh
The problem is there doesn't appear to be a team LEADER on either side of the ball.

In the geekiest way possible:

Resurrecting a formerly great football program like UT is a non-linear process.

UT isn't going to add a win each year until we rise to the level of having an undefeated season.

Instead it's going to take years of ups and downs. I think fans should be happy with taking a few steps forward and a couple of steps backward and then a step forward etc and observe an overall trend positive progress.

It's literally how most progress occurs with most things. Not just football. ie getting in shape, recovering from an illness, etc.

In the interim, dig into the top 2-3 great football programs and look at their facilities. Look at what they have to offer. Look at what those coaches talk about and attempt to understand how those football programs came into existence. I'm impressed with UGA's, the Seminole and Texas A&M's football facilities and it opened my eyes to what other schools are up against when it comes to making an impression on a prospective recruit or transfer.

UT can't just snap it's fingers and magically have an $85 million facility. The AD and fundraisers are obviously involved.

BTW, of the schools I mentioned, it is UGA's facility that cost $85 million and the Seminole and TAMU facility cost much more.

Inside the TEXAS A&M AGGIES' $485,000,000 FOOTBALL Facility | Royal Key

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Ok teams can win with great QBs/Systems - UT 2022, Washington 2023...

Good teams have no chance with terrible QBs - Clemson post Trevor, Michigan pre JJ McCarthy

Reactions: KTrain

Good teams have no chance with terrible QBs - Clemson post Trevor, Michigan pre JJ McCarthy
Klubnik has nowhere near the talent on both sides of the ball that those Lawrence teams had. Oh and McCarthy? They cheated. A team that has a good defense and talent around an average QB can win at a high clip.

I know he isn’t a good QB either. Your insistence to blame only him is pretty sad. Football is a team sport.
Please show me where I blamed only Milton.....Leadership starts with the QB. Have you ever seen him on the sidelines trying to rally the team? Me neither.

Nah this ex use is all played out. We’ve been fairly consistent at 15ish recruiting classes. The gap from say 7 or 8 to 15 is just decided by a player or two. At some point you have to win ball games and stop making excuses. We aren’t even competing.
We have 4 guys still from 21 class. Sure that puts us 100 in rerank and why we are thin depth wise. Use your brain or you just a troll.

THIS^ A coach can build a team with 10 or more 5*s and the rest 30% 4*'s & remainder 3*s and the rest. You have that assembled by year 3 you can win with a game manager QB. Some Bama Championship like that.
We lost 30 players just 3 years ago to the portal 3 of those started for Oklahoma in 2021&22, we have been under sanctions but with all that we still won with a Heisman type QB in 2022.
We don't have any of that, hardly no 5*s some 4*s but still less than the top teams in the SEC. If Nico is not a special type of RS Freshman QB we will be a 7&5 or at best a 8 & 4 next year. QB can make or break a team, sadly we have put all our eggs in the Nico basket and it better work or there is going to be an Epic meltdown from this board. Mainly because most think he is a bona fide lock.
I mean everyone has him in the NFL by 2026, some saying he will be 1st pick. No wonder his parents wanted to RS if possible.

Everyone can say Milton is the problem but both the offense and defense is clearly lacking confidence.

There’s no heart, no fight, no energy surrounding this team.

Is there a distraction going on? Who knows but something is definitely not right with this staff that just won 11 games last year.
Why are we/you still discussing this subject? Anyone who follows football, and knows anything about it, is aware of the condition of the roster, the number of injuries incurred this year, and the fact that Milton is not the QB who can win a Championship in the SEC. He has failed at Michigan and twice at Tennessee. We are strapped at the QB position in that Nico is a true Freshman and the rest of the backups are walk ons. Nico needs another off season work out season to gain strength and completely learn enough of the system to be successful. The Freshman QB we have committed appears to also be an outstanding talent and is aware that he will need a year or two to become an adequate replacement when Nico moves along after his Junior year.
I see our recruiting continuing to improving and becoming much stronger and talented in future years. We will be a force ti the SEC and Nation by 2025/2026.

Reactions: BradentonVol

VN Store

Back