UFC 148 - July 7th @ 10PM ET

I think that people will move up or down weight classes to fight him if they're given the chance. GSP has said that one day he plans on fighting in the middleweight division, and Evans has said that he could see himself moving down at some point.

As much as I'd love for GSP to beat Silva, I'm not sure he could. As much as I hate Evans, I think he could beat Silva. I think both fights could be close.

Definitely want to see Silva go up against someone else at this point. Middleweight division seems pretty awful compared to Silva.

This loss is on Sonnen, everything went to plan the 1st round Silva came out aggressive and Chael took advantage of that and put him on the ground and punished him, 2nd round Chael tried for a few takedowns but couldn't get them and then for some odd reason (maybe out of frustration?) he tried a spinning back fist and completely whiffed and fell to the ground and the rest was history. If Sonnen doesn't go for that spinning back fist I think the fight would have been different, but give credit where credit is due Silva FINISHED the fight something Sonnen couldn't do.

Yep, I was surprised when Chael immediately took Silva down in the 1st round because I figured that's one of the only things Silva would spend months working out. Then I thought... maybe Silva wants to be on his back? But yeah, he looked good at stopping the take down in the 2nd round so I'm not sure why Chael was able to do it so easily in the 1st round but not in the 2nd round. Changed really quickly.

untitled-8n7yn5.gif

Looks like he kneed Sonnen in the shoulder to me...

Silva Vs. Sonnen II

There's the replay for anyone who missed it or wants to watch it again. It starts at 140:00

When it first happened I thought the knee was illegal but after they showed the replay I thought it was a legal blow, but after watching that I may have changed my minded again lol, Sonnen never should've been in that situation though.

There's no way that knee didn't make contact with his head. That makes it illegal.
did you people even watch the fight? I have watched it about 10 times to make sure, but the knee connected to the body and not the chin or head. completely legal hit and there really isn't a debate

Reactions: 2 people
did you people even watch the fight? I have watched it about 10 times to make sure, but the knee connected to the body and not the chin or head. completely legal hit and there really isn't a debate

so you're watching that gif and saying that Silva's leg made 0 contact with Sonnen's head?

There's no way that knee didn't make contact with his head. That makes it illegal.

Not trying to call you out but you're saying Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg are wrong?

Last UFC event I watched, Joe Rogan completely blasted the UFC judges and how the judges decisions were equally bad to the judges for the Manny-Bradley fight.

Watch the fight again. They thought it was an illegal kick immediately when it happened and a few seconds later after seeing a replay, they agreed it was actually legal.

Rogan has never and will never bite his tongue. He'd lose his job before he lied on behalf of Dana White.

The knee was legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
the knee appears to have hit Sonnen on the upper left pec. I don't see it getting even near the chin, to be honest. Additionally, Sonnens head goes forward. If there was knee contact the the face or head, it would go backwards. Basically, Sonnens torso and head hit the cage from the knee to the chest. If it was a head shot, his head would have snapped back.

Last edited:
I went ahead it watched it last night.

Wanted more, but hey...

It happens. The fight was blown so out of proportion.

The match up was great but I've seen multiple heavyweight fights the past 6 months that I considered bigger fights.

But you're constantly being told "This is the biggest fight ever".

Everyone knew Silva would win if they actually watch UFC.

Only fight left in my opinion is GSP vs. Silva. Someone mentioned Rashad and that could be a good fight but anyone who thinks Silva can beat Jon Jones is smoking something. :)

Not trying to call you out but you're saying Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg are wrong?

Last UFC event I watched, Joe Rogan completely blasted the UFC judges and how the judges decisions were equally bad to the judges for the Manny-Bradley fight.

Watch the fight again. They thought it was an illegal kick immediately when it happened and a few seconds later after seeing a replay, they agreed it was actually legal.

Rogan has never and will never bite his tongue. He'd lose his job before he lied on behalf of Dana White.

The knee was legal.

We can talk about Rogan if you want, but I'm really just interested in your answer to this question...you're saying Silva's leg made 0 contact with Sonnen's head?

the knee appears to have hit Sonnen on the upper left pec. I don't see it getting even near the chin, to be honest. Additionally, Sonnens head goes forward. If there was knee contact the the face or head, it would go backwards. Basically, Sonnens torso and head hit the cage from the knee to the chest. If it was a head shot, his head would have snapped back.

Is that before or after the back of his head hits the cage?

This is getting ridiculous.

We can talk about Rogan if you want, but I'm really just interested in your answer to this question...you're saying Silva's leg made 0 contact with Sonnen's head?

Unless you can offer another angle, I can't see that it did.

Plus, if it grazes, does Sonnen want to win on a technicality?

Jon Jones is 16-1 but we all know he is undefeated.

Edit: And for Rogan. He always knows what's going to happen before it happens. He trains and understands everything that's happening. The guy is pretty brilliant in my mind. I'll admit to being a fanboy of his. It's pretty hard to argue you with anything he says. Whether it's MMA tactics or life in general, the guys is pretty damn smart. -- So I admit my bias to his opinion.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a DQ. They stand them up and give Sonnen a second to recover. Then they keep fighting and we all get what we want to see....a fight that doesn't end with premature stoppage.

So glad I didn't pay for that crap.

Is that before or after the back of his head hits the cage?

This is getting ridiculous.

His whole body hits the cage. If it was a head shot, his head would have moved backwards. The shot was to the chest. The only argument I could see is if Sonnen's face hits the top of Silva's thigh as he ducks when he sees the knee coming. I don't know what the UFC rule would be there. The knee didn't touch the face though. He started it high, but changed his angle late.

His whole body hits the cage. If it was a head shot, his head would have moved backwards. The shot was to the chest. The only argument I could see is if Sonnen's face hits the top of Silva's thigh as he ducks when he sees the knee coming. I don't know what the UFC rule would be there. The knee didn't touch the face though. He started it high, but changed his angle late.

I'm just saying his head doesn't go forward.

The brunt of the shot goes to the chest, but there's no way he didn't make contact with the head. Even if it's all thigh hitting the face/head, it's still illegal.

It wouldn't be a DQ. They stand them up and give Sonnen a second to recover. Then they keep fighting and we all get what we want to see....a fight that doesn't end with premature stoppage.

So glad I didn't pay for that crap.

It might have been a premature stoppage but I still didn't see him hitting him in the face to be honest.

Are you a Sonnen fan? Let's be honest here.

I don't even like Silva but I do hate Sonnen so I'll be honest in that aspect. In the end, my only interest is wanting Sonnen to lose.

But.... Sonnen admitted it was a clean shot 1 minute later when he was being interviewed in the ring.

As big of a jerk as he can be, I doubt he'd be gracious if he thought he lost unfairly. He agreed it was clean.

Either way, did you guys think they stopped it too soon? Maybe Sonnen wasn't defending himself "intelligently" but only like two of those punches on the ground hit Sonnen semi-cleanly. I thought the ref ended it too soon.

I guess he was worried about Silva breaking all of his teeth, or something like that.

VN Store

Back