UT is #2 seed in Midwest, play St Peters Thurs 9:20pm (TNT) in Charlotte

All 3 hosts picked us for the e8 and one picked us to beat UK in the final 4 to reach the title game. Let's stop the all the respect talk

Which hosts and what show was that? I haven't seen anyone pick UT past the Elite 8 so far. I saw the three CBS guys pick UConn, Arizona, Houston, and Purdue (one picked Kentucky), and the ESPN guys didn't seem to pick differently. Jay Bilas was adamant Purdue would advance, as was Seth Greenburg. Jay also made a plug for Duke, which I admit I chuckled at because of course.

I don't know if they respect us or don't respect us. I just dislike that the sum total of their analysis for us was "Rick Barnes is from Hickory, North Carolina and the games are in Charlotte." Felt a little flimsy to me. I thought we deserved a little more analysis than that. But, oh well.

Which hosts and what show was that? I haven't seen anyone pick UT past the Elite 8 so far. I saw the three CBS guys pick UConn, Arizona, Houston, and Purdue (one picked Kentucky), and the ESPN guys didn't seem to pick differently.

I don't know if they respect us or don't respect us. I just dislike that the sum total of their analysis for us was "Rick Barnes is from Hickory, North Carolina and the games are in Charlotte." Felt a little flimsy to me. I thought we deserved a little more analysis than that. But, oh well.
It was the ESPN bracketology show.

Zeigler vs Zeigler

UT vs UT

Barnes vs his old school

Chance for redemption vs Purdue

Chance for first ever Final Four

It's a TV execs wet dream

Creighton seems like a tough draw for Tennessee. That game could go either way provided that both teams make it that far. With March Madness, who knows.

I found the bracket very difficult to fill out this year.

Well remember what FAU did to us last year. They were quicker to every ball not made. We had huge advantage in size department besides their one big white guy. The other guys nabbed the rebounds and sent it in transition.
We have Zeigler now, we are fast again. Gainey is quicker than Key was also

Reactions: therealitytheory
Kentucky and Auburn will both go further than us in the tournament.
Maybe. Maybe not. We're better than both of them. You commented how Pearl was a better tournament coach than Barnes after the SEC tournament final. That's actually TBD. They're both still coaching. While Barnes has some years on Pearl in actual age, he's much healthier and fit at 70 than Pearl at 63. They are a 4 seed. We are a 2 seed. We played a tougher non conference schedule and then beat their ass in league play. What did winning the SEC tournament do for Pearl and Auburn? Pat on the back. They won arguably the best conference's end of season tournament and gained nothing for the NCAA. I suppose they can hang a banner. Pearl is a good coach.

Do the board monitors use different screen names to post comments to stir the pot? That has to be the case to help increase the thread volume. If not, then there are a lot of trolls or miserable people on this board.
We have a really good board, so rivals spend time here with alts. Plus there are actually some goofballs who can't get over Pearl getting himself canned from his best job.

It was the ESPN bracketology show.

Fair enough, then. There's like 5 different "bracketology" shows on right now, both on ESPN, CBS, CBS Sports, etc. I haven't seen anyone pick Tennessee past the EE yet. Though - I don't care about that as much as I just wanted a little more commentary on our team than where our coach was born. Maybe point out Knecht being a POTY candidate, or Zeigler being back this year, or something.

That said, one of the CBS Sports guys said Aidoo matched up well with Edey. So. That got me to stop for a second, not going to lie.

Well remember what FAU did to us last year. They were quicker to every ball not made. We had huge advantage in size department besides their one big white guy. The other guys nabbed the rebounds and sent it in transition.
We seem to face the cinderella a lot more often than I'd like. When I look at our bracket, I don't see anyone that would qualify to wear the slipper except for St. Peters. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they send us home.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Fair enough, then. There's like 5 different "bracketology" shows on right now, both on ESPN, CBS, CBS Sports, etc. I haven't seen anyone pick Tennessee past the EE yet. Though - I don't care about that as much as I just wanted a little more commentary on our team than where our coach was born. Maybe point out Knecht being a POTY candidate, or Zeigler being back this year, or something.

That said, one of the CBS Sports guys said Aidoo matched up well with Edey. So. That got me to stop for a second, not going to lie.

I’m a self confessed dullard so take anything I say for the half grain of salt it’s worth, but I suspect Purdue doesn’t make it past the S16. They’ve relied heavily on Edey being officiated by the B10 as if he’s a piece of glass that could break in half at any moment. Suspect the officiating won’t favor him as much in the big dance.

A nice thread breaking down St. Peter’s. They actually are not a great matchup for us with style of play. They are a low-possession team and they are great on the offensive glass. The flip side is they are small in the frontcourt. Aidoo has to show up.

So if Virginia gets by Colorado St and Texas.,Tennessee baring an upset will be playing two slow,grind it out offenses to start out the tournament? That's an interesting possibility.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That colorado state team is a legit very good team. I have watched them several times this season and Isiah Stevens is one of the best guards in college basketball. I honestly really hope texas wins, colorado state is a gritty tough team assuming they get over virginia. I like us getting to the elite 8 at least barring a Rick Barnes march meltdown.

I’m a self confessed dullard so take anything I say for the half grain of salt it’s worth, but I suspect Purdue doesn’t make it past the S16. They’ve relied heavily on Edey being officiated by the B10 as if he’s a piece of glass that could break in half at any moment. Suspect the officiating won’t favor him as much in the big dance.

Boy I hope you're right. I'm game to see Tennessee take on anyone in their region, but I wouldn't complain if someone on the upper half of the bracket ripped the door to the Final Four wide open.

We seem to face the cinderella a lot more often than I'd like. When I look at our bracket, I don't see anyone that would qualify to wear the slipper except for St. Peters. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they send us home.

We should all be absolutely floored if St. Peters’s sends us home. They don’t have near the size or athletes that we do. That should be a win. It would take a performance of epic proportions for them to beat us.

What happens next is where things get hairy as we know Rick has struggled against lower seeds in the round of 32 at times.

Last edited:
Auburn won't beat UConn. They are good but I think UConn is too good for them. That is "if" Auburn makes Sweet 16 but I think they can. Tennessee is likely going to make Sweet 16 but we have been inconsistent. Key will be whether they can beat Creighton or not.
I hope Auburn doesn’t get past game 1.

We should all be absolutely floored if St. Peters’s sends us home. They don’t have near the size or athletes that we do. That should be a win. It would take a performance of epic people for them to beat us.

What happens next is where things get hairy as we know Rick has struggled against lower seeds in the round of 32 at times.
That colorado state team if we face them ill be very worried. We should really get to the elite 8 at least

Kentucky and Auburn will both go further than us in the tournament.
Possibly Auburn since they’re actually good on all fronts; SDSU may beat them though. AU was pretty close to losing against Mississippi State who I feel like is somewhat like a worse version of SDSU, and Auburn lost most games against good teams this year. They probably lose to UCONN. KY against Texas Tech might be a toss up unless TT had an injury.

My honest opinion is that we make it to Creighton though I am concerned about Texas.

VN Store

Back