What's everyone's obsession with Josh Dobbs?

I honestly like Ferguson better as a complete QB. I think people are just on the Dobbs train because he seems to fit CBJ's system better. One thing I will give Dobbs is how smart he is... He has a much better GPA than I ever did!

Based on his highlight videos, I was disappointed with Ferguson's arm strength.

I'm glad that I learned at the University of Tennessee

It took you to college to learn that? Pathetic parenting or hard to shed your racist upbringing?

...not to judge the measure of a man by his skin tone, but rather by his character. The character of men like Condredge Holloway...
:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove:

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...0574-condredge-holloway-espn-2-20-11-a-3.html

Get off your high horse there, buddy-boyo.

Based on his highlight videos, I was disappointed with Ferguson's arm strength.

His film shows a lot of big time throws with plenty of arm strength. A lot of slants and seam routes where he is right there with the ball. I don't think his arm will be an issue.

This was one of his evaluations:

Ferguson is a gun-slinger back there at quarterback. He is a signal caller that really trusts his arm and believes he can make any throw. He can force balls at times, but he gets balls into many tight windows as well. He throws the ball good outside the pocket, he has good mobility, and he keeps plays alive when they breakdown. Consistency is where he needs to improve. He is a streaky passer with an above average arm. - Chad Simmons

His film shows a lot of big time throws with plenty of arm strength. A lot of slants and seam routes where he is right there with the ball. I don't think his arm will be an issue.

This was one of his evaluations:

Ferguson is a gun-slinger back there at quarterback. He is a signal caller that really trusts his arm and believes he can make any throw. He can force balls at times, but he gets balls into many tight windows as well. He throws the ball good outside the pocket, he has good mobility, and he keeps plays alive when they breakdown. Consistency is where he needs to improve. He is a streaky passer with an above average arm. - Chad Simmons

This evaluation sounds vaguely familiar...

This evaluation sounds vaguely familiar...

Every player has to develop once they get to college. Just have to hope our coaching staff we have now can get a better handle on how these kids progress. RF seems to spread the ball around a lot in his HS film. I think he will be a good one by the time he is done at Tennessee.

Every player has to develop once they get to college. Just have to hope our coaching staff we have now can get a better handle on how these kids progress. RF seems to spread the ball around a lot in his HS film. I think he will be a good one by the time he is done at Tennessee.

I agree, and didn't mean to come across as negative toward Riley. I'm expecting him to do well here. The eval just gave me flashbacks to all comments on Bray. I enjoyed watching Bray play, most of the time, and he put up some great numbers. But like many have stated, Bray just never put it ALL together. So here's hoping all of our QB's put the physical AND mental aspects together...

The reason we cannot beat Florida is because of the pocket passers. Even Peyton Manning could not accomplish that after 4 tries. Tee Martin went to the gators home turf a busted thoses little iguanas in the chops! Look at what that young kid from Texas A&M did to Bama this year. Im sorry but we need a dual threat qb in the SEC!

When Tee Martin led the Vols to an overtime victory against Florida, it was at Neyland, not the "gators" home turf. I was there.

No. He's not "you know what". :no:

Oh please. Certainly some fans are ignorant enough to believe being black makes him super human in the running or sports dept. or that in general that white folks can't run but give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove it -- and on this board they will prove it.

Dobbs is getting headlines because he's 4 star from Georgia whose picked up all kinds of academic awards and happens to live in a media market where he's more likely to get coverage. Ferguson is an unknown 4-star from Matthews, NC who committed early. North Carolina doesn't publicize football or care about football -- it's a basketball state and North Carolina recruits are often not that heralded.

Dobbs has the advantage being newer (since he flipped at the last minute far more recent articles have been written on him), from an area we know better, and has been sweeping up awards. He also makes a great human interest story because of his smarts and athletic skills that go along with them. Few top QB's with his potential are courted by Ivies like Princeton. We also haven't had a dual threat in a long time and a lot of people want to see one. OTOH, we've had plenty of plain pocket passers in recent history.

When both Dobbs and Ferguson hit campus, we'll hear a lot about both along with the QBs we already have and if you bother searching, Riley Ferguson gets his press too.

You’re what, just out of high school in 1998? You have no idea of the predominant mentality of Vol fans over the years re: black QBs. Sterling Hinton, Holloway, Martin, Jimmy Streater, Schaeffer, Moses Collins, Robinson et al...the feeling among fans was black QBs give UT an advantage because they are superior athletes.

Guess what, they were and in many cases they are.

In 1998, this was confirmed and let me tell you straightaway, I was one of those that agreed. I predicted a NC -dare I say it - once Peyton left after seeing Tee in the closing quarter of the Nebraska-UT bowl debacle.

The only black QB in UT history that might, not was, but might have been considered less athletic was Jerry Colquitt. He lasted one game with a severe knee injury in '94 his 5th yr but at no time was there ever any excitement that this 5th year Senior was a superior athlete.

UT fans who post to this board are youngsters, UT fans who have voice, opinion and understand the history of black QBs at UT are not on this forum.

Has nothing to do with race and everything to do with reality.

Last edited:
His skin color is no where near what Vicks is. All Black people don't have the same skin tone or look alike. This whole thread is dumb.

People want Dobbs because out of all QBs we have he is the biggest, fastest, smartest and most highly ranked.

Yeah man you're right about that. Ole Vick is a dark, dark one for sure.

If Dobbs hadn't decided to come to Tennessee would Ferguson be getting all the hype?

No, there was no excitement since Riley was, and stayed committed to us all the way, earlier than a lot of our commitments. This is one of the reasons why recruits wait during dead times, and on NSD to sign, or make their decision.

You’re what, just out of high school in 1998? You have no idea of the predominant mentality of Vol fans over the years re: black QBs. Sterling Hinton, Holloway, Martin, Jimmy Streater, Schaeffer, Moses Collins, Robinson et al...the feeling among fans was black QBs give UT an advantage because they are superior athletes.

In 1998, this was confirmed and let me tell you straightaway, I was one of those that agreed. I predicted a NC -dare I say it - once Peyton left after seeing Tee in the closing quarter of the Nebraska-UT bowl debacle.

The only black QB in UT history that might, not was, but might have been considered less athletic was Jerry Colquitt. He lasted one game with a severe knee injury in '94 his 5th yr but at no time was there ever any excitement that this 5th year Senior was a superior athlete.

UT fans who post to this board are youngsters, UT fans who have voice, opinion and understand the history of black QBs at UT are not on this forum.

Awwe gee, pa I'm just a wild-eyed youngin too dumb to know anything. Not that it's any of your business but I'm older than that gramps. :wink:

As I said before give folks a chance to prove their foolishness and they will but give them that chance. A lot of the people who believe in magical blackness or magical whiteness are using most of their limited brain capacity just to keep their lungs going and are a dying breed anyway. Yeah they're out there but they're facing extinction.

I hate to break the news to anyone that buys into the nonsense of color magic but race amongst us upright primates does not exist beyond the single human race.

We are all the same. If we have a superior QB who happens to be black it's got nothing to do with his color just like superior QB's who happen to be white don't magically transform into 'smart' or natural pocket passers because they're white. Tee Martin was one of my all time faves but he was hardly a magical athlete and his success wasn't because he was black but because he was good. He wasn't exactly a great scrambler either.

Further what does Dobbs have to do with Martin's success 15 years ago? They have zero in common but color. Colquitt got hurt before he showed much of anything. And the others? Good lord how long's it been? If someone's foolish enough to believe that then tear them up but assuming he only gets hyped or press coverage because he's black is just stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Awwe gee, pa I'm just a wild-eyed youngin too dumb to know anything. Not that it's any of your business but I'm older than that gramps. :wink:

As I said before give folks a chance to prove their foolishness and they will but give them that chance. A lot of the people who believe in magical blackness or magical whiteness are using most of their limited brain capacity just to keep their lungs going and are a dying breed anyway. Yeah they're out there but they're facing extinction.

I hate to break the news to anyone that buys into the nonsense of color magic but race amongst us upright primates does not exist beyond the single human race.

We are all the same. If we have a superior QB who happens to be black it's got nothing to do with his color just like superior QB's who happen to be white don't magically transform into 'smart' or natural pocket passers because they're white. Tee Martin was one of my all time faves but he was hardly a magical athlete and his success wasn't because he was black but because he was good. He wasn't exactly a great scrambler either. Further what does Dobbs have to do with Martin's success 15 years ago? They have zero in common but color. Colquitt got hurt before he showed much of anything. And the others? Good lord how long's it been? If someone's foolish enough to believe that then tear them up but assuming he only gets hyped or press coverage because he's black is just stupid.

Not gonna get into the race debate I gotta disagree with Tee's scrambling ability. He was a fantastic scrambler.

I thought that Johnny Manziel, Conner Shaw, Heath Shuler, and Fran Tarkenton were white. They look like pretty athletic qbs.

Unfortunately, I think we know what we are not speaking of..it's 2013,you'd think we'd be past the mobile black QB thing but apparently not here

i know i'm gonna get hammered for this,but we won a NC with a mobile qb,and couldn't win one with arguably the best pocket passer in NCAA history......not saying Martin was even in Peyton's class but I could care less how good of pro they become.....I want a qb that wins at UT.....bottom line!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
He is another Brent Schafer but much smarter..... Me, personally, I prefer a pocket passer; rather than a scrambler. If you have a good offensive line, then there is no real need to scramble....
Tennessee could not win the national title with Peyton Manning. Enter Tee Martin to center stage. My opinion is that you need a running QB to win a national championship. The pocket passers are few and far between on national championship teams since Tennessee won in '98. It's like playing golf without a driver in the bag.

VN Store

Back