Chris Hatcher

Why would the head coach of a div II school like Georgia Southern want to be an OC at a Div I school? Wouldn't he want to wait for a HC position in Div I? Like Urban Meyer did from Bowling Green to Utah, etc?

Georgia Southern isn't DII. Bowling Green is DI.

Georgia Southern isn't DII. Bowling Green is DI.

I guess they are Div I-AA

The Georgia Southern Eagles compete in baseball, basketball, football, golf, tennis, volleyball, soccer, softball and track & field. The football team has won a record six NCAA Division I-AA national championships (1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999 and 2000). It also has been to the College World Series twice (1973,1990). The university also offers intramural teams for all varsity level sports, as well as others such as equestrian events, fencing, and judo. Georgia Southern's football team plays at Allen E. Paulson Stadium.

Georgia Southern University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It probably comes down to which situation he feels is the faster track to a major D-1A head coaching job, HC at 1-AA Georgia S. or OC at UT. That's debatable, but what isn't debatable is that we'd offer him more money and a ton of exposure for his offensive coaching abilities.

My bad, but the point is the same. Why would he not try to be successful at Georgia Southern as a HC and then move on as a HC at a bigger school?

Jimbo Fisher went from coordinator to soon-to-be head coach of one of the more desirable jobs in college football. There's different routes you can take. Honestly, I feel like being a coordinator for UT would probably be a better stepping stone.

I posted those three years to show that GA Southern actually won more games two years ago than they did this year. Comparing his record against the dismal 3-8 season that he followed isn't fair to GA Southern football.

What you aren't getting from looking at the record is that 3 years ago they were on the way down and they fired the coach and brought in a guy who tried to convert them from the triple option to a spread passing attack. Hatcher came in last year and since GSU was on their 3rd offense in 3 years, he basically junked his offense in an attempt to restore respectability and was pretty successful in doing so.

Again, I'm not optimistic that he's got much of a chance and, unlike some, I would never pretend to be expert enough to evaluate the ability of an assistant coach. I'm just saying that according to his record of player development, the fact that he has been in the SEC before, his success as a head coach and the fact that I halfway know the guy and what he is like, I think he is worth a look. If Ga Tech and So. Miss are granting him head coach interviews and his name is swirling around the OC job at FSU, obviously somebody knows something.

With the exception of the 3-8 season, Georgia Southern have been a powerhouse eversince erk russell started the team in the early 80's. i mean within 3 years of having a team, Erk won 2 national titles, with an undefeated season thrown in there. You give Hatch sometime to restore us to our powerhouse, and GSU can hang with nearly anyone, just because we are I-AA or FCS doesnt mean we arent a good team. Coach Hatcher is a 5 star calliber man and an excellent coach. And honestly i dont think he will be leaving Georgia Southern anytime soon

And honestly i dont think he will be leaving Georgia Southern anytime soon

That would be great for GSU, but I think you are suffering from wishful thinking. I doubt Hatcher will be around more than another year or two.

Im pretty sure that he'd leave if he had a chance at a much larger stage and if he could triple his salary.

we shall see. i hope he doesnt leave anytime soon, his family really loves the area. he told me one time at a luncheon that he was happy because he isnt to far of a drive from his huntin camp,

we shall see. i hope he doesnt leave anytime soon, his family really loves the area. he told me one time at a luncheon that he was happy because he isnt to far of a drive from his huntin camp,

If that's all he needs then I will give him keys to our cabin in NE Tennessee. Only about an hr outside Knox and he can use it anytime. He can even use my stand

You guys have been posting it here for weeks. He may be a great up and comer, but we could have a shot at some folks who are already there.

I just don't want UT to be somebody's on-the-job training stop.
While I understand your concern, If you don't hire a guy that is considered for better jobs in a couple of years you didn't make a good hire, and if you hire a guy that does not have aspirations of moving up in the coaching world you didn't make a good hire. I guess my point is that if you are going to make a great hire you better count on your next OC bolting for a HC job in a few years or becoming your next head coach.

I want Hatch to win a few national championships here in chatt with my Eagles , im tired of F-en CrAPP state.

While I understand your concern, If you don't hire a guy that is considered for better jobs in a couple of years you didn't make a good hire, and if you hire a guy that does not have aspirations of moving up in the coaching world you didn't make a good hire. I guess my point is that if you are going to make a great hire you better count on your next OC bolting for a HC job in a few years or becoming your next head coach.

That's what I hope we get. That would be a guy who CPF would feel comfortable in handing over the keys after they win a NC together over the next few years. Fot that to happen, the guy would already need to have orange blood flowing through his veins.

Big time national recruits would flock to UT if they hear we get a new OC from a non-BCS school with no experience or ties to the NFL. Kippy Brown is probably our best hire.

Big time national recruits would flock to UT if they hear we get a new OC from a non-BCS school with no experience or ties to the NFL. Kippy Brown is probably our best hire.

Receivers and Quarterbacks would see that offense in motion for a coupla years and then beat down the doors.

Agree. As a consolation prize, maybe KB could get Hatch tickets to a NFL game; better yet, maybe even a sideline pass to get him a little closer to kind of talent we have in mind at UT. :)

Agree. As a consolation prize, maybe KB could get Hatch tickets to a NFL game; better yet, maybe even a sideline pass to get him a little closer to kind of talent we have in mind at UT. :)

If you were feeling nice you could send him Phil Fulmer's jock :)

I'd say Kippy would probably have more luck getting Hatch into an XFL game. Fortunately, that would be a better representation of the level of performance UT's had lately.

I'd say Kippy would probably have more luck getting Hatch into an XFL game. Fortunately, that would be a better representation of the level of performance UT's had lately.

Come on now, you know as well as I do that the Memphis Maniax were stone cold hammers.

VN Store

Back